Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 04-30-14, 08:00 AM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Default Intentional homicides continue decline into first quarter of 2014, while kidnappings and e

04/30/14 (written by cmolzahn) — During the first three months of 2014, the National System for Public Security (Sistema Nacional de Seguridad Pública, SNSP) registered 4,497 intentional homicides (homicidios dolosos) […]

More...
Old 04-30-14, 08:53 AM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Intentional homicides continue decline into first quarter of 2014, while kidnappings a

I am glad the grizzly crimes of the last narco-crime wave are not being repeated. The flow of drugs and cash are clearly too hard to stop- or so many levels are part of the problem that it can't be fixed. Many people here feel Mexico supplying drugs to willing buyers up north is not a horrible thing and being part of the drug trade is nothing to be ashamed of. The best I had hoped for was for things to go back below the surface before the hornets nest was kicked- and that's pretty much what we have now. So long as no bodies are hanging from bridges tourism will continue. As bad as the increase in kidnappings and extortion are- it isn't an economy breaker from a tourism perspective. Visiting Rosarito and living in Rosarito are two entirely different risk sets. Mose every Mexican land line will eventually ring with an extortion call and an expat can't dress down enough or drive a beater car ugly enough to not be seen by some low-life as an ATM with legs. If you live here the best approach is to just go about your day with an increased situational awareness, never leave your home empty and to get back home before dark. jmho
Old 05-01-14, 05:47 PM   #3
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Intentional homicides continue decline into first quarter of 2014, while kidnappings a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
I am glad the grizzly crimes of the last narco-crime wave are not being repeated. The flow of drugs and cash are clearly too hard to stop- or so many levels are part of the problem that it can't be fixed. Many people here feel Mexico supplying drugs to willing buyers up north is not a horrible thing and being part of the drug trade is nothing to be ashamed of. The best I had hoped for was for things to go back below the surface before the hornets nest was kicked- and that's pretty much what we have now. So long as no bodies are hanging from bridges tourism will continue. As bad as the increase in kidnappings and extortion are- it isn't an economy breaker from a tourism perspective. Visiting Rosarito and living in Rosarito are two entirely different risk sets. Mose every Mexican land line will eventually ring with an extortion call and an expat can't dress down enough or drive a beater car ugly enough to not be seen by some low-life as an ATM with legs. If you live here the best approach is to just go about your day with an increased situational awareness, never leave your home empty and to get back home before dark. jmho
Any updated news as to the murder investigation of the Club Marena owner?
Old 05-04-14, 04:15 PM   #4
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
Any updated news as to the murder investigation of the Club Marena owner?
Nothing. They were likely hoping no one would ask.

Also nothing more on the American killed in a shooting at the sand dunes near Primo Tapia a few weeks back- after Rosarito assured the public they would give us an update.

However- the man "El Acapulco" who killed on-duty Rosarito Beach lifeguard Mar Tarjeda (with American missionary Gretchen Smith as the melt-down witness) got a 20 year sentence.
Old 05-04-14, 06:01 PM   #5
MexicaliAlan

MexicaliAlan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
Nothing. They were likely hoping no one would ask.

Also nothing more on the American killed in a shooting at the sand dunes near Primo Tapia a few weeks back- after Rosarito assured the public they would give us an update.

However- the man "El Acapulco" who killed on-duty Rosarito Beach lifeguard Mar Tarjeda (with American missionary Gretchen Smith as the melt-down witness) got a 20 year sentence.
I caught a TV news spot here [San Luis Potosí] about an ex marine gettting thrown into TJ´s La Mesa jail last week for getting caught at the border entering TJ by mistake with a few guns and ammo in his loaded vehicle. Isn´t this in the Baja or SD news?
Old 05-09-14, 08:35 PM   #6
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicaliAlan
I caught a TV news spot here [San Luis Potosí] about an ex marine gettting thrown into TJ´s La Mesa jail last week for getting caught at the border entering TJ by mistake with a few guns and ammo in his loaded vehicle. Isn´t this in the Baja or SD news?
Big Time. Check out the Talk Baja Facebok page!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/TalkBaja/
Old 05-10-14, 10:35 AM   #7
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

He was moved to El Hongo yesterday. My guess is that as it is a high security prison, they will have better facilities to keep him isolated from the general population. I listened to an interview with the governor - Kiko Vega. He is well aware of the sensitivity of this issue and I believe is doing what he can to help defuse it.

Weapons charges are federal crimes at it will be handled at the federal level. If you really want to help Andrew, probably best to direct some of the noise towards Los Pinos as well...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-10-14, 02:38 PM   #8
MexicaliAlan

MexicaliAlan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
He was moved to El Hongo yesterday. My guess is that as it is a high security prison, they will have better facilities to keep him isolated from the general population. I listened to an interview with the governor - Kiko Vega. He is well aware of the sensitivity of this issue and I believe is doing what he can to help defuse it.

Weapons charges are federal crimes at it will be handled at the federal level. If you really want to help Andrew, probably best to direct some of the noise towards Los Pinos as well...
I have a question. I know they have those cement barricades in the lanes entering TJ and there has been construction and they have moved things around on both sides, but don´t they have a gate right there that a CBP officer can unlock if you request that you want to turn around and not enter TJ anymore? Do you have to be in the far left lane to use it if it is there?
Old 05-10-14, 03:08 PM   #9
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicaliAlan
I have a question. I know they have those cement barricades in the lanes entering TJ and there has been construction and they have moved things around on both sides, but don´t they have a gate right there that a CBP officer can unlock if you request that you want to turn around and not enter TJ anymore? Do you have to be in the far left lane to use it if it is there?
Actually it is not a locked gate but an access point with a 24hr CBP agent who controls a barrier that can be lifted to allow "turn-arounds". Yes, it is in the far left lane and it is located right before you make the hard right turn towards the straightaway that leads to the San Ysidro POE for Mexico, It is also clearly marked.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-13-14, 05:10 AM   #10
Woooosh

Once you make that hard right 90 degree turn you are committed to entering Mexico. There is no way to turn around or back up. There is good signage that points out the last US Exit- but the cement barricades make it hard to get all the way to the left turn-around lane before that hard right. The confusion caused by the lack of the road alignment into Mexico is because MExico budgeted for and finished their side of the border crossing before the US has.