Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 05-23-14, 09:02 AM   #1
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

Default Mexico recalculates number of missing

Mexico recalculates number of missing: 21,000

MEXICO CITY - Mexico has recalculated the number of people who have gone missing since the start of the country's drug war in 2006, lowering estimates to 21,000 from around 28,000.

Interior Secretary Miguel Angel Osorio Chong says more than 14,000 people have been found alive and about 750 confirmed dead.

That dropped the total of missing from the previous administration to about 13,000.

But another 8,000 people have disappeared since President Enrique Pena Nieto took office in late 2012, yielding the current running total of about 21,000.

Osorio Chong said late Thursday many people who had filed missing persons reports didn't update them when their relative re-appeared.

It is unclear how many of those still missing were kidnapped or killed by drug gangs, which frequently bury their victims in clandestine graves.

Mexico recalculates number of missing: 21,000 - News - MSN CA
Old 05-23-14, 10:06 AM   #2
Ateo

Ateo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Mexico recalculates number of missing

If missing for a while, and not kidnapped for ransom, one would guess that these people have been killed and bodies disposed of. I hope some day we really give legalization a try. They could still export drugs to the rest of the world, but we'd hurt them in their pocket book. No easy fix on this issue............
Old 05-23-14, 10:13 AM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

This drug war has been extremely expensive the world over in both human and economic costs. Not only are we losing the war but I can not imagine any possible scenario in which this "war" could be determined to have been "won".

I don't like the idea of legalization but the alternatives I like even less...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-23-14, 10:38 AM   #4
Ateo

Ateo is on a distinguished road

BajaGringo summed it up well.

Billions and billions of $$$$ being spent and any user can still get their fix any day of the week.

Why not regulate it, set standards, and tax it. Give it a 5-10 year trial run, and see if the world falls apart.

Something tells me, like other issues that we try out (gay marriage, gays in military, legal weed), that the world continues on, usually in a better state.

Just my $.02
Old 05-23-14, 11:52 AM   #5
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ateo View Post
BajaGringo summed it up well.

Billions and billions of $$$$ being spent and any user can still get their fix any day of the week.

Why not regulate it, set standards, and tax it. Give it a 5-10 year trial run, and see if the world falls apart.

Something tells me, like other issues that we try out (gay marriage, gays in military, legal weed), that the world continues on, usually in a better state.

Just my $.02
I agree; that makes sense.

Which is why it probably will never happen...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic