General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 05-01-09, 05:53 PM   #1
k-pasa

k-pasa is on a distinguished road

Default Forum member ranks

I couldn't help but notice the little bar with the two stripes that appeared above my avatar when I started posting. Then it changed to three at some point. Actually my wife noticed that. So I went from a swabbie to a deck hand. I am assuming that is a rank based on posts, right? Looked on the forum but couldn't see a legend for that. Am I just missing it?
Old 05-01-09, 05:58 PM   #2
beachbum

beachbum is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Forum member ranks

Seeing how "swabbie" and "deck hand" are naval / marine terms I can of assumed that the three stripes would be equivalent to a navy seamen? I looked and couldn't find it either.

What say ye master gringo?
Old 05-01-09, 06:12 PM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Hmmm....

Thought that was in the FAQ but it only explains what ranks are and does not give the post counts/rank etc.

Let me put something together and it will probably link off the FAQ or the member list itself. I'll try and have that by tomorrow. For those of you that are curious, it is based off naval ranks and the first steps are at 1,10 and 50 as I recall...

Remind me later if you don't see that up in the next day or two - thanks.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-01-09, 06:21 PM   #4
beachbum

So what comes at 50 - PO3? And if it is based on naval ranks, how come the head cheese isn't an admiral?
Old 05-01-09, 07:28 PM   #5
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum
So what comes at 50 - PO3? And if it is based on naval ranks, how come the head cheese isn't an admiral?
You'll just have to wait and see when it comes out - wouldn't want to ruin the surprise - ha!

As far as Admiral? Did my seatime in the navy aboard the Navy's CGN-9 USS Long Beach, a nuclear cruiser. I spent nearly the first four years in school and qualifying on the reactor plant to become a certified operator, a very rigorous and demanding program where officers and enlisted go basically through the same plant qualifying process. It is very unique in the armed services. I loved my job working down in the plant and I doubt there are many 20 year old's in this world who have known the thrill of sitting at the RPCP and actually pull control rods for the first time. Anybody who tells you that they did it without a serious bead of sweat or two is kidding you. It was a rush and later qualifying as a nuke ELT I loved my job as it was probably one of the most comprehensive positions in the plant.

The problem and ultimate fatal flaw was that I could not spend all 24 hours down in engineering and eventually had to go topside. There lived the rest of the navy and all of the "non-nuke" officers who had little time or patience for a young gringo who had firmly adopted the philosophy of "question authority". As we had trained together, nuke officers would cut you a lot of slack and if you were hard working and good at your job, let you get away with quite a bit back in the 70's. Non-nuke officers did not share that point of view and I went to Captains Mast twice in a year over insignificant bullcrap. What saved me was that to be a captain of a nuclear powered ship you must also be a nuke so both times I got off with barely a hand slap, not even a cut in pay.

Of course that just infuriated the non-nuke officers even further and after awhile they were gunning for me at every turn. I, of course learned how to walk that line just enough to draw their ire without crossing over to a point where they could do anything about it. Over time it became a cat and mouse game and I ended up just counting the days until my hitch was up, in spite of a $40,000 signing bonus they were offering back then just to re-up for two additional years. That was a lot of money back then but I just couldn't see myself doing it anymore.

Admiral? Nah...

Now, Master Chief maybe. Gonna think about that one...

8-)

Old 05-02-09, 12:54 AM   #6
La Guera

La Guera is on a distinguished road

This sounds like a guy thing.
Old 05-05-09, 09:36 PM   #7
beachbum

Is it just me or did I get demoted? I could have sworn I had another stripe?
Old 05-05-09, 09:41 PM   #8
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Did you delete any of your posts? That would reduce your status.
Old 05-05-09, 09:44 PM   #9
BajaGringo

Actually that may have happened as I was working on the ranks system and realized that it started out at E2 (2 stripes) instead of one. So when I uploaded the corrections it would have given you one less stripe. I am working on that and will have the member rank detail up by tomorrow.

Thanks for your patience...

Old 05-05-09, 10:07 PM   #10
beachbum

So I was demoted!!!

OK, as long as it doesn't come with any loss in shore leave.