General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 10-02-09, 12:26 PM   #1
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default 'Tis the season.....

Or at least the beginning of what I have always considered to be a local tradition of the old the pre-Christmas "shopping rush"! Every year, usually starting in November, there begins a seemingly endless wave of break-ins. It seems like it's started a little early this year....a short time ago there was a post on the Yahoo La Paz Gringo web-site about break-ins in the Lomas Centenario area....http://groups.yahoo.com/group/lapazgringos/message/2622. Then this week, my amiga told me that my former casa #1 in Comitan had an attempted break-in Sunday night....all the screens were open & all sliders all around the casa had fingerprints from banditos trying to lift sliders out. The person who bought it does not live here full time, but she did have the foresight to install a monitored alarm system. The alarm went off before they got inside, so no success. This place was successfully robbed at least once in the past 5 years.

Saturday morning in broad daylight, my former casa #2 was not quite so lucky!! Neighbors/caretakers were only gone for about an hour, but the piston-driven car gates were forced open & furniture, lamps, TV, PC modem, small electronics & much more was taken. I'm not sure how the new owner secured the door between the casa & the garage (I had a good dead-bolt on it), but apparently they damaged the solid wood door attempting to get into the garage....with no luck. Naturally the new owner opted NOT to have homeowners insurance!:tape:

There was also yet another break-in in that same narrow time-frame last week-end while the homeowners were present & sleeping, but didn't know they had "guests" because of air conditioner noise!

General consensus is that the perpetrators are local area construction workers who are in the area daily & know which homes are occupied full-time & which sit empty most of the year. They normally target empty places, but I know of two instances over the past 4-5 years where there were break-ins while the homeowner was there & sleeping. This is the scary part to me! I'd feel violated if I had a break-in....but if it happened while I was home, I'd be doubly pissed! As would my killer guard dogs & killer cat!

Secure your premises!! Think smart! Be aware!!!
Old 10-02-09, 01:24 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 'Tis the season.....

You would be amazed at the effect this image has on wanna be intruders...

Old 10-02-09, 02:33 PM   #3
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

I thought this was going to be about the gazillion shelves of Christmas decorations that mysteriously appeared in City Club around mid-August.

Four water meters were stolen in my neighborhood 10-12 days ago. In one case, at least, they didn't even bother turning off the water, just left it gushing onto the sidewalk. One meter was found in the bushes, minus the pipes. My plumber told me that the meters aren't worth anything, but the copper can be resold for 30-50 pesos depending on size. The water company is replacing the pipes with PVC.

Last summer, two people I know had large amounts of water stolen at night. Apparently the thieves pull up in a truck with a tank and connect it to the faucet near the meter.

I'm not sure what makes people think they can leave a house for months at a time without anything happening.
Old 10-02-09, 05:57 PM   #4
longlegsinlapaz

I want to know how BajaGringo got a pic of Maggie!
Old 10-02-09, 06:08 PM   #5
longlegsinlapaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruñón
Not going to invite the wife to the next one. She gets to emotional.
Old 10-02-09, 08:25 PM   #6
BajaNuts1

BajaNuts1 is on a distinguished road

The "REAL" Maggie!
Attached Images

Texas Creek Products | Hot Sauce, Dips, Glazes & Spice Mix
Old 10-02-09, 08:39 PM   #7
BajaNuts1

BajaNuts1 is on a distinguished road

Don't know yet how to post a pic and the have text after it so I gotta post quickly...........

just kidding about "Fluffy's" picture LLILP!

I do know about this topic from first hand experience. Around 1984, we lived in what we considered a pretty good/safe small city. Left on Saturday afternoon about 4:00 for a 2 hour dinner with family, returned to open doors, windows...........

Doors had been locked, he/they got in by hopping onto the garage roof of a split-level house (set into a hill) and forced open the upstairs bathroom window. Never caught the perp, but we always figured the guy was a construction worker from a house that was being built next door.

Gone 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon....ROBBED!

BUT!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

most of our neighbors here in McCall, Idaho don't bother to lock their doors and in the 10 years we have lived in "Vail, CO" we have never locked our doors. Yreka, CA is just that kind of community where we choose to live with trust.

[Disclaimer- some town names have been changed to protect the innocent towns]

Texas Creek Products | Hot Sauce, Dips, Glazes & Spice Mix

Last edited by BajaNuts1; 10-02-09 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-04-09, 10:01 AM   #8
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

pdf works fine here.
Old 10-04-09, 10:59 AM   #9
longlegsinlapaz

Grunon....I missed the translations for BRUISED, BLEEDING, SOBBING as he fled the scene!
Old 10-04-09, 04:31 PM   #10
BajaGringo

The correct translation would be:

"le metieron una chinga"

Old 10-05-09, 09:45 AM   #11
gointomex

gointomex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If this attachement works it is a pdf file.
In trying to make a police report with limited or no Spanish this might help if you print it off and save for the time you might need it.

Marty or BajaGringo if you have a better way of doing this feel free to do so.

This was sent to me by Teniente.
Wow, thanks for the descriptions. Hope to never use it, but, just in case, I saved it and printed a copy for my important Baja papers bag we haul back and forth. Never knew the word for "bald" even though my husband is.
Old 10-05-09, 12:57 PM   #12
longlegsinlapaz

Quote:
An update to the burglary of the ex brother in laws home, the burglar has been identified.

A neighbor waited a couple days before coming forward with what he had witnessed..
The thief is a family member, a nephew of the victim.
A person the victim has helped financially and helped in finding employment.
The son of the victims deceased sister.
A person in need of a baton massage.

No good turn goes unpunished.
You can pick your nose but not your family.
This is the reason for sayings like...."He'd sell his mother for a cup of coffee....for a dime....if the price was right!"

In this instance, I gotta agree with you....leave the wife home this time....when you put on your cute little majorette uniform with the short skirt & tall boots & go baton twirling!!

PS Unless she's got a camera in hand!

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 10-05-09 at 12:59 PM. Reason: to add PS.....
Old 10-05-09, 01:04 PM   #13
BajaGringo

I would pay to see that picture...

Old 10-05-09, 07:09 PM   #14
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I would pay to see that picture...