Baja Roads, Weather & Services Road Conditions, New Construction, Weather Reports and More

Old 10-11-09, 11:27 AM   #1
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Default Another storm, maybe?

Looks like we're in for some rain, at least:

ABPZ20 KNHC 111735
TWOEP
TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
1100 AM PDT SUN OCT 11 2009

FOR THE EASTERN NORTH PACIFIC...EAST OF 140 DEGREES WEST LONGITUDE..

SATELLITE PICTURES INDICATE THAT THE AREA OF LOW PRESSURE LOCATED
ABOUT 300 MILES WEST-SOUTHWEST OF MANZANILLO MEXICO HAS BECOME
BETTER ORGANIZED THIS MORNING...AND A TROPICAL DEPRESSION COULD BE
FORMING. IF THE CURRENT TREND CONTINUES...ADVISORIES WOULD BE
INITIATED THIS AFTERNOON OR TONIGHT. THERE IS A HIGH CHANCE...
GREATER THAN 50 PERCENT...OF THIS SYSTEM BECOMING A TROPICAL
CYCLONE DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS.

ELSEWHERE...TROPICAL CYCLONE FORMATION IS NOT EXPECTED DURING THE
NEXT 48 HOURS.

$$
FORECASTER KIMBERLAIN
Old 10-11-09, 12:19 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Another storm, maybe?

Yikes!
Old 10-11-09, 12:58 PM   #3
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Wish I could rig up a 2' funnel under my skylite with the outlet into the bano sink! Getting big buckets lined up instead!
Old 10-11-09, 01:35 PM   #4
kate

Now it's a tropical storm.

Last edited by kate; 10-11-09 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Change status depression-->storm
Old 10-12-09, 06:57 AM   #5
BajaGringo

Legz - I think it's time for a new skylight!
Old 10-12-09, 08:38 AM   #6
longlegsinlapaz

BG, I'm working on it....but please keep a few things in mind:
  • It needs to be DRY long enough to tear the existing one out & reinstall the new one correctly.
  • I need to find someone with experience installing skylights....and in this area, that ain't easy!
  • Remember, workers don't show up when it's raining here, not to mention they head for home well before the first drop of rain has a chance to hit the ground!
  • Then there is the salient fact that I just happen to live in mananaland!
All the research I've done to show proper skylite installation has resulted in 100% wood roof construction techniques & examples. So I need to get someone who understands the theory of mounting it on a raised lip & converting the wood construction techniques into cement-work.

A light rainfall began here in Centenario around 1 AM & has maintained a steady rainfall ever since. Being the Girl Scout that I am....I carefully arranged strategically placed buckets last night before the waterfall began....of course, the key bucket didn't end up in the EXACT RIGHT spot, so I still awoke to a water-covered floor! The up-side to this whole scenario is that I gotta have the cleanest bano floor for miles!

PS......check out the brightly colored animation on EEBMIKE....the HUMONGEOUS white center is rain!!!

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 10-12-09 at 08:44 AM. Reason: PS
Old 10-12-09, 09:54 AM   #7
kate

Don't feel bad, Legs. I forgot to cover my leaky car last night, aargh. It smells like a wet dog in there, and I don't even have a dog!! Plus this is the week I was planning to have masonry work done.

Looks like Patricia will be around for a couple more days, whichever way it heads. On the bright side, the garden won't need watering for a while.
Old 10-12-09, 12:42 PM   #8
edinnopolo

edinnopolo is on a distinguished road

Not much of a confidence builder. This guy often hits it right on the nose.

Posted by: JeffMasters, 6:58 AM MDT on October 12, 2009

In the Eastern Pacific, Tropical Storm Patricia is gathering strength, and should bring at least tropical storm force winds to Mexico's Baja Peninsula Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. Latest satellite loops of Patricia show that the storm has developed an impressive burst of heavy thunderstorms with very cold cloud tops. Patricia is in an environment of low wind shear (5 - 10 knots) and warm sea surface temperatures (29°C), and these conditions are expected to change little over the next 48 hours. This may give Patricia enough time to strengthen into a Category 1 hurricane, as predicted by the latest 2am EDT runs of the GFDL and HWRF models. While most of the computer models indicate that Patricia will turn to the west out to sea Wednesday as the storm makes its closest approach to Baja, the HWRF model predicts the storm will grow large and strong enough to be influenced by a trough of low pressure to the north, and track into the Gulf of California and make landfall in mainland Mexico.
Old 10-12-09, 08:21 PM   #9
BajaGringo

I installed three such skylights on my new place Legz on the back part of the house that has a losa roof. Pay my going rate and I will be there mañana...

Old 10-12-09, 08:33 PM   #10
longlegsinlapaz

I'm afraid to ask!!!!
Old 10-13-09, 07:47 AM   #11
edinnopolo

Legs,
Have you ever tried a couple of cans of O'Henry's ?
Old 10-13-09, 09:59 AM   #12
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edinnopolo
Legs,
Have you ever tried a couple of cans of O'Henry's ?
Probably so. That's a candy bar. Henrys is roof goop.
Old 10-13-09, 01:25 PM   #13
edinnopolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Probably so. That's a candy bar. Henrys is roof goop.
Okay Dennis, that's what I meant. Been some years since I used that stuff, but remember that it works wonders. Those candy bars may or may not work. Never tried it, but maybe a new invention.
Old 10-13-09, 01:34 PM   #14
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by edinnopolo
Okay Dennis, that's what I meant. Been some years since I used that stuff, but remember that it works wonders. Those candy bars may or may not work. Never tried it, but maybe a new invention.
It's good stuff, Ed. Henry's Wet Roof Patch can even be put on when things are wet.
The O'Henry candy bars don't works so well. Too many P-Nuts. On the other hand, Mars Bars are excellent for patching roofs but you have to do it on a dry, sunny day. You just find the fault in the roofing material and line the bars, as many as it takes, over the fissure and the heat of the day will do the rest. Fills in the void and, well...let it rain.

Oh yeah..be sure to take the roofing bar out of it's package.
Old 10-13-09, 02:30 PM   #15
longlegsinlapaz

edinnopolo, there are multiple problems....first & foremost is that my builder hadn't ever installed a skylite before & recessed it into the roof with no frame to raise it above the roof surface. He mounted the entire frame below the surface of the roof before they poured it. How in the #*%@ he expected the cement would form a tight waterproof bond with the aluminum frame is beyond me!! Not to mention since this bano is in the center of the casa with no windows & absolutely no cross ventilation, I'd intentionally chosen a skylight model with an inch of screening all the way around the base, so that it allows a little heat to escape & some ventilation to not make the room so warm & stuffy....you got it! All that screening is below the roof surface buried under cement! Since cement & aluminum expand & contract at different rates, of course a crack has opened up around the entire skylite!

I can buy a new skylite & have the raised concrete lip added & have it installed correctly for less that $1,500 pesos, so I'm opting to go that route. Because it's currently recessed into the roof, I think that anything I tried to save the existing installation would most likely just be a short-term fix. I want a little air flow & no more waterfall. So I'll just eat the O'Henry's, but thanks for the thought!