Building your Baja dream home Advice, photos and ideas...

Old 11-04-09, 08:00 AM   #1
mokmort

mokmort is on a distinguished road

Talking Tips on Buying Baja Real Estate???

Greetings to all!

I have really enjoyed this forum and have learned alot from it, I live in the sierra foothills,I have been to Baja many times over the past 30 years,well it's time to see about spending more time,flying down next week to look at some property between Cabo and La paz,let's hope it's as nice as it was described,I will let you know,maybe even post some pictures.

Take care,

Morten::
Old 11-04-09, 08:28 AM   #2
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Re: My Introduction

Welcome, Mort!

I've got some family near Grass Valley; beautiful area.
Old 11-04-09, 09:31 AM   #3
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Yes, Welcome. Lots of beautiful property between Cabo and La Paz...hope your scouting trip goes well!
Old 11-04-09, 01:22 PM   #4
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Hi Mort....Hope you're aware of all the pitfalls involved in aquiring land in Mexico. There's lots of them. If not, don't be afraid to ask.
Old 11-04-09, 01:27 PM   #5
mokmort

Talking Tips on Buying Baja Real Estate???

now your scaring me! any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-04-09, 04:28 PM   #6
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

No need to give in to fear. Dennis is right. Lot of "pits" but loots of experience here to help you.
First tip, since you already looking for land...don't trust a realtor you don't already know and trust. Drink with 'em, eat with 'em, ride with 'em. But don't trust them until you have thoroughly researched them.
Old 11-04-09, 09:00 PM   #7
Gaucho

Gaucho is on a distinguished road

Welcome Mort!
I must be in the minority here...I had a great experience buying my property, easy--peasy. I also used a realtor. He was thorough, knowledgeable and professional. I'd be happy to pass on his contact info.
Old 11-04-09, 09:18 PM   #8
mokmort

What area does your realtor cover,I have one piece of property I am looking at that is a private owner,I guess if we can work a deal I will need to find a Lawyer or Notary to do the paperwork.
Old 11-04-09, 10:19 PM   #9
Gaucho

Hi Mort,

He works all over the East Cape from La Paz down. I sent you a private message w/ details.
Old 11-05-09, 05:23 AM   #10
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Welcome Mort,

I'll throw in my two cents worth. After buying or selling several properties, the one thing I would highly recommend is to have a title insurance company do a title search, and issue a commitment letter, before you commit to buying any property. We use Stewart title and have been very happy with their work. It adds a bit of time and money to the process, but the peace of mind is well worth it.
Old 11-05-09, 08:52 AM   #11
mokmort

Confused Re: My Introduction

Hey,

Thanks for the info,the lot I am looking at they are asking $20,000 US,I checked and estimated closing cost was over $6,000 US,seems kind of high,any feedback.

Thanks! Morten
Old 11-05-09, 10:48 AM   #12
Gaucho

I ditto BigWooo's comments. Closing costs usually run at LEAST 10%. 6k does sound a little high on a 20k purchase.
Old 11-05-09, 03:12 PM   #13
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

It's one thing to have a problem with closing costs. But what about the asking price for the property? There's plenty of territory between Cabo and La Paz, and there's the Pacific side and the Sea of Cortez side; not to mention property in the mountains such as San Bartolo. Just wondering about a more specific location, lot size, access to utilities, Etc.
Old 11-05-09, 08:48 PM   #14
mokmort

The area I like is on the Pacific side,in the Cerritos/Pescadero area,the lot I am looking at is 500 sq m,walking distance to the beach,water and power is close by.
Old 11-06-09, 10:42 AM   #15
Gaucho

Cool Re: My Introduction

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokmort
The area I like is on the Pacific side,in the Cerritos/Pescadero area,the lot I am looking at is 500 sq m,walking distance to the beach,water and power is close by.
I would definately get title insurance in this area no matter what the seller tells you. It's a great area though. I've spent quite a bit of time there. It's a great spot!
Old 11-06-09, 02:43 PM   #16
Bajahowodd

Who doesn't like like that area?
Old 11-06-09, 03:21 PM   #17
mokmort

yea it's pretty great area,been there several time on vacation,no alot of tourist yet,but I think they are coming soon! the guy that is selling the property has just subdivided the land,should be interesting!
Old 11-07-09, 05:04 PM   #18
Bajahowodd

I don't know about there not being a steady stream of tourists. The main highway is the preferred route between La Paz and Cabo, and there is an incredible number of day-trippers that head for Todos Santos from Cabo. That they don't stop where you're looking is mostly because there's not much to stop for.
Old 11-07-09, 10:04 PM   #19
mokmort

OK another question,the gentleman that is selling the property say's it's a Tituco,he said after I buy it I get a notary to do the Escritura,do I need to run the other way or is this common.

Thanks,
Old 11-08-09, 07:59 PM   #20
ncampion

ncampion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokmort
OK another question,the gentleman that is selling the property say's it's a Tituco,he said after I buy it I get a notary to do the Escritura,do I need to run the other way or is this common.

Thanks,
I think you mean Titulo which is a good thing, it means that he actually has a title to the land. Make sure his name is on it. The Escrita is essentally the "deed" that will be used to title the property in the name of your "trust". You need a bank and a notario to complete the process. You can get someone to be a middleman if you are unfamiliar witht he process, but it costs - $1200 - 1500 USD. Keep in mind that there are significant fees and taxes involved with a transfer of property. Good luck and enjoy.