Working in Baja California / Mexico You can but it's not as easy as you think...

Old 06-04-09, 04:09 PM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Working in Baja as an ExPat?

Contrary what many believe and will tell you, it is not that hard to work while living down here as a foreigner. A lot of folks do it and you don't have to sell real estate, time shares or teach English as a second language - unless of course you want to!

The internet is opening up more job opportunities each day and there are positions available in customer service for a large number of companies that will allow you to work from home using high speed internet and a voip phone line. You won't get rich but if making $8-10 USD per hour is something that is attractive to you then you can find lots of opportunities out there. I personally know of folks working as customer service phone reps for computer hardware, software, insurance and medical billing companies where they clock in every day on their computer and moments later their phone begins to ring. They will fill out the phone contact actions via computer which updates the company system via internet. Their time is logged by the computer and you take breaks and lunches, just like at a regular job. The difference is that you can work in your pajamas and you might miss out on some juicy gossip at the water cooler.

It's not for everybody but definitely an option worth considering, even if just to pay for that six pack of Pacifico's and pack of smokes each day with a little left over for a couple of fish tacos...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 09-03-09, 04:44 PM   #2
Elena

Elena is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Working in Baja as an ExPat?

Do you know of any websites that post these and other types of jobs in Baja? I couldn't find one. If I could find a cheesy part time telecommuter job like what you mentioned, that would be awesome. Any extra money doesn't hurt... I love fish tacos.
Old 09-03-09, 04:49 PM   #3
BajaGringo

Just go on monster.com for example and look for telecommuter jobs.
Old 09-03-09, 05:50 PM   #4
Elena

Elena is on a distinguished road

Red face Re: Working in Baja as an ExPat?

haha ya >>>>DUH<<<< I was thinking you were talking about telecommuting jobs based in Mexico.
Old 09-03-09, 10:17 PM   #5
BajaNuts1

BajaNuts1 is on a distinguished road

sorry, I guess since we live in the sticks I don't get that whole telecommuting thing.

I thought telecommuting was sitting at the 'puter, in my 'jammies..... in Jamaica or Australia.....taking care of Biz.

so if I have a high speed computer setup in Mexico, I'd be good to go. (that's what I thought the original post said.)

Just not getting Elena.

Texas Creek Products | Hot Sauce, Dips, Glazes & Spice Mix
Old 09-04-09, 12:16 PM   #6
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Ron, is working from home on one's PC still require you to have a 'working in Mexico' FM-3 visa...? Afterall, a tourist (FM-T) is someone who is on a vacation. I would guess that how would the authorities know if you are working if doing so on a PC?
Old 01-03-10, 08:08 PM   #7
Wanna'GO

Wanna'GO is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena
Do you know of any websites that post these and other types of jobs in Baja? I couldn't find one. If I could find a cheesy part time telecommuter job like what you mentioned, that would be awesome. Any extra money doesn't hurt... I love fish tacos.
Go to Outsource to Freelancers, IT Companies, Programmers, Web Designers from India, Russia, USA, and more - oDesk
odesk.com
Old 01-31-10, 07:24 AM   #8
Cyanide41

Cyanide41 is on a distinguished road

Cool site. That sad part is that jobs which would normally pay $80k in the US would are being done for $11/hr by people in the Philipines and India.
Old 01-31-10, 12:15 PM   #9
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
Ron, is working from home on one's PC still require you to have a 'working in Mexico' FM-3 visa...? Afterall, a tourist (FM-T) is someone who is on a vacation. I would guess that how would the authorities know if you are working if doing so on a PC?
That is a question that many have a hard time getting a straight answer. If the client is outside Mexico, billed from an address outside Mexico and you are not using any other resources beyond your PC I don't see how they can regulate it. Hacienda may disagree.

I just chose to get an FM3 lucrativa and leave it up to my local accountant...