Baja Border Crossing San Ysidro-Tecate-Mexicali / Sentri and Ready Lane

Old 06-09-09, 12:04 PM   #1
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Best Route South Across Border...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolferExpat
How is travel in the area of Baja going around the area? I know I will probably have to come back stateside quite a bit so being in Baja seems ideal how close it is to Los Angeles.
True enough that Ensenada is only 85 mile South of the border, but much also depends upon how far one travels to get to the border. I'm certain everyone has their own routine. Usually, we head South though San Ysidro to catch the toll road, but come North using Blvd 2000 and cross at Otay. For us, coming from central Orange County, unless the traffic on I-5 is a real mess through San Diego County, we usually make our first and only stop at the AM/PM just before the Rosarito toll booths on the toll road. A very busy place.
Old 06-09-09, 12:19 PM   #2
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Wife and I are looking to retire soon!

I can make Ensenada in one long day of driving from Carson City....first stop in Ensenada is the Commercial Mexicana supermarket for pesos (at the ATM), water, Pacifico's and to stock up on groceries before we get to the house.

We go south on the 805, hit the 905 east, right to the border. Eliminates driving though TJ and two toll booths. Sometime we stop at the new Commercial Mexicana on Blvd 2000. we have also stopped at Rubens across from Las Gaviotas on the free road for dinner (headed south) or breakfast (headed north)
Old 06-09-09, 11:15 PM   #3
Bajahowodd

I really don't want to splash water on things, but the mention of stopping at the new Commercial Mexicano on Blvd 2000 prompts me to at least issue a word of caution. The Northern-most sections of 2000 run right through what is widely considered the most crime infested area of TJ. It's where much of the cartel carnage has taken place. Lots of folks use the highway as a shortcut to and from Otay. But, in my opinion, don't drive it at night, and don't stop along the route.
Old 06-10-09, 06:47 AM   #4
Teniente

Thanks for the info, odd, and I appreciate your concerns.....but I have been driving the Blvd 2000 route for several years now (daylight only) and have stopped at the Commercial and related businesses in that plaza numerous times.....with no problems. Having said that, I still prefer the Commercial in Ensenada.

One should always be aware of their surroundings at all times and be prepared to act, or react as necessary........either in TJ, Ensenada, San Diego or Las Vegas
Old 06-10-09, 08:11 AM   #5
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I think a lot of the concerns for driving Blvd 2000 were in the early months after it opened; It was a stretch of road with little traffic and fewer people, making it an easy mark for highway pirates. Today the Blvd looks a lot different from when it first opened with a lot more development and traffic. I have driven it at night quite a few times lately and never felt uneasy as there were always lots of cars, trucks and buses around me going in both directions. I have stopped at the Comercial shopping center and it feels like any of the other shopping centers in the area.

Call me crazy...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 06-10-09, 08:14 AM   #6
Teniente

Accurate report, Ron........ and this past wekend the crews were out cleaning up the highway.......sweeping and bagging trash!!!!!
Old 06-10-09, 09:47 AM   #7
GolferExpat

GolferExpat is on a distinguished road

Good note, one should always be aware but the variances of your experience are very interesting. I really think that the newness of an entrance port affects the frequency of use... sounds like Blvd 2000 is a normal entry now.. maybe less of a problem.. Will have to do some research on that.
Old 06-10-09, 10:57 AM   #8
Bajahowodd

Hey! I'm no scaredy cat. Just saying that statistics show the majority of the crime activity is in the East part of town. That being said, I would imagine there would be even more traffic on 2000 if and when they ever connect it directly to the toll road.

As for Commercial, in my opinion, the area surrounding the one in Ensenada just looks more conducive for stopping and shopping. Same company has several other brands. Mega being one. It's a bigger, better version, if one can believe it. There's on in San Jose del Cabo. Absolute one stop shopping.
Old 06-10-09, 07:21 PM   #9
BajaGringo

Default Re: Split from introduction forum

That is true but I am not aware of any serious crime reports from that general area where the shopping center is located. I also believe that if you aren't comfortable with it, don't do it. I was just sharing my own impression of the route and how it has evolved over time since the Blvd first opened...

Old 06-10-09, 11:25 PM   #10
Bajahowodd

Default Re: Best Route South Across Border...

We've been using 2000 since they made the connect to the free road. It does worry me that, especially those driving North have miles and miles of limited access freeway-like driving at high speed. Then, all of a sudden, there's development. Housing tracts. Cross traffic, and worst of all, pedestrians crossing. It looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Everyone should be mindful that they need to slow down and be more vigilant. Just saying.....
Old 06-12-09, 08:24 PM   #11
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I think a lot of the concerns for driving Blvd 2000 were in the early months after it opened; It was a stretch of road with little traffic and fewer people, making it an easy mark for highway pirates. Today the Blvd looks a lot different from when it first opened with a lot more development and traffic. I have driven it at night quite a few times lately and never felt uneasy as there were always lots of cars, trucks and buses around me going in both directions. I have stopped at the Comercial shopping center and it feels like any of the other shopping centers in the area.

Call me crazy...

Okay Crazy Ron... I dare you to post this on Nomad... just to see if a certain person (and others, backing him up) will put you down for suggesting the 'highway of death' as they seem to think it is!

I know if I even say that a fellow Nomad's recent trip report is more accurate than newspaper stories (I called hear-say), it is an invitation to be slammed! LOL

Hopefully, you will be accepted because you live there AND travel the Blvd. 2000, not just live there and read papers!

Good Luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Book5 117.jpg

Views:	60

Size:	493.9 KB

ID:	258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Book5 123.jpg

Views:	55

Size:	484.4 KB

ID:	259  

Last edited by Marty Cortez; 06-27-09 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-12-09, 09:04 PM   #12
Teniente

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K

Okay Crazy Ron... I dare you to post this on Nomad... just to see if a certain person (and others, backing him up) will put you down for suggesting the 'highway of death' as they seem to think it is!

I know if I even say that a fellow Nomad's recent trip report is more accurate than newspaper stories (I called hear-say), it is an invitation to be slammed! LOL

Hopefully, you will be accepted because you live there AND travel the Blvd. 2000, not just live there and read papers!

Good Luck!

David, thank you for modifying your post.
Old 06-12-09, 09:37 PM   #13
expat

expat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Quote:

Good Luck!

David, this post points out your immaturity and serves no useful purpose other than to "flame" other board members. If you want to maintain your credibility on this board, I suggest you delete your post.
I will second that opinion and suggestion.
Old 06-12-09, 10:12 PM   #14
fdt

fdt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I dare you to post this on Nomad... just to see if a certain person (and others, backing him up) will put you down for suggesting the 'highway of death' as they seem to think it is!

A certain person? Now that sounds like an invitation

click here to listen to Ultimate Baja Radio
Old 06-12-09, 11:11 PM   #15
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdt
Quote:
I dare you to post this on Nomad... just to see if a certain person (and others, backing him up) will put you down for suggesting the 'highway of death' as they seem to think it is!

A certain person? Now that sounds like an invitation
It is an invitation my friend - I invite you to join me on "running the gauntlet" one day on the blvd 2000. I'll even buy you lunch when we make it across. What do you say???

Old 06-12-09, 11:36 PM   #16
fdt

fdt is on a distinguished road

lets go!

click here to listen to Ultimate Baja Radio
Old 06-12-09, 11:54 PM   #17
BajaGringo

OK, PM sent to make plans. We'll make a trip report when we get back.

;)

Old 06-13-09, 11:15 AM   #18
Bajahowodd

Tenga cuidado! It's a jungle out there. Are your affairs in order?
Old 06-13-09, 10:45 PM   #19
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:

;)
Wonderful to hear!

Perhaps Ferna will see that things can improve in Mexico afterall... and the Blvd. 2000 can be what it was designed to be, a safe way to AVOID driving through Tijuana for those who have a destination further south.

Expat, I am sure that Ron is a big boy and can decide if adults can talk to each other here in a candid way and work out any issues... Ferna is a good friend, and I knew he would know who I was talking about... I was being just a bit 'pc' by not mentioning names...

Paz!
Old 06-14-09, 09:47 AM   #20
expat

expat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Quote:

;)
Wonderful to hear!

Expat, I am sure that Ron is a big boy and can decide if adults can talk to each other here in a candid way and work out any issues... Ferna is a good friend, and I knew he would know who I was talking about... I was being just a bit 'pc' by not mentioning names...

Paz!
I am sure Ron can make the decision pertaining to adults.
But I was referring to your juvenile post that you made an edit to after
Teniente commented on your immaturity.