General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 01-10-11, 11:36 AM   #1
WendyandRoss

WendyandRoss is on a distinguished road

Default Best route needed from Toronto to San Diego

I introduced myself and husband on the intro forum and thanks for all the great info and welcomes.

What we need now is experienced advice on which driving route to take and what to avoid in February weather conditions.

Bugger Red advised against Grand Canyon side trip near Falstaff - thanks BR. Too bad, Ross has seen it but I haven't. Maybe a trip in the future...

For now, any suggestions?
Old 01-10-11, 11:50 AM   #2
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Best route needed from Toronto to San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyandRoss
I introduced myself and husband on the intro forum and thanks for all the great info and welcomes.

What we need now is experienced advice on which driving route to take and what to avoid in February weather conditions.

Bugger Red advised against Grand Canyon side trip near Falstaff - thanks BR. Too bad, Ross has seen it but I haven't. Maybe a trip in the future...

For now, any suggestions?
Grand Canyon is awesome, take the Grand Canyon Railroad in, they have a one day deal that gives you about 3 hours at the canyon, great fun and reasonable package prices from the Grand Canyon Railroad Hotel in Williams, AZ for 2 nights... (near 'Flagstaff' I think you meant)... I would recommend a GPS for the car (Garmin, etc.) as they are great for giving you the fastest route or shortest or to find restaurants, motels, etc. along the way.

From Williams, continue west on I-40 which joins I-15 and comes right to San Diego.
Old 01-10-11, 11:53 AM   #3
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Likely to be snow storm somewhere...if avoiding it as much as possible is your primary goal,
take 75 south out of Detroit straight down to Louisville, connect to 65 south to 40 (Nashvlle then 40 to 30 to 20 to 10 to 8.

If I were doing it I would probably take 80 (just south of Detroit) west to 15. Yeah, you hit the Rockies direct but they are used to heavy snows and they keep those big interstates open. Worse that ever happened to me was a one day wait when the tunnel west of Denver was closed for a day. after a pretty sizeable storm.
Old 01-10-11, 12:02 PM   #4
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

After I retired i drove a truck for several years People were always afraid of Flagstaff. I never found it impassable if you wait until late morning and early after noon. used to pass buy the railroad termnal in Willams twice a week on the average I you are from Tronto the interstate highway is a piece of cake.
Old 01-10-11, 01:52 PM   #5
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as Dusty said, I would and have done the 80-15 trip several times. Even once in February and hit a substantial storm as we headed West out of Cheyenne. But, as has been mentioned, the road crews are very experienced in keeping the interstates passable most of the time.

That said, the first recommendation (75 South to Louisville) will certianly keep you in warmer weather, and the 80-15 route will not allow you to see the Grand Canyon. And amazingly, it is very doable in winter. And perhaps even more beautful. So, maybe you should do the 75 South thing, but when you get to the 40, just stay on it headed West. No really high country through the Rockies. Even when it snows in Albuquerque, it's usually inches rather than feet.
Old 01-10-11, 02:48 PM   #6
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Having crossed the U.S. multiple times I have always perfered I- 40 in general the weather was always better some times it gets real snarley from New Mx. thru TX. to Ok.border but if closed never for long
Old 01-12-11, 12:59 PM   #7
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

If you do take I-40 goin West.... swing up and stop over in Laughlin, NV. Fun places and reasonable accomodations!
Old 01-12-11, 01:42 PM   #8
Bajahowodd

I agree. Exit in Kingman and follow the signs!
Old 01-12-11, 09:20 PM   #9
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
If you do take I-40 goin West.... swing up and stop over in Laughlin, NV. Fun places and reasonable accomodations!
Oh, also .... Laughlin has some great entertainment (shows) at reasonable prices! Meal deals too.
Old 01-27-11, 09:59 AM   #10
WendyandRoss

Thanks for all the good routes. I think we will try going through Nevada. We have had to postpone til end of February so we think the roads will be good by then.

We've got to see the Grand Canyon and it shouldn't be as cold in early March...

I'll post again when I have it all mapped out and let you look for holes.

Thanks again
Ross
Old 01-27-11, 10:32 AM   #11
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Look forward to following your trip with you and maybe even see you down here. Just got a note that Islander is down here right now and will be hooking up with them later today...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-27-11, 10:38 AM   #12
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

It is something indeed! We were there in November, 2007 and it happened to be a rare super clear day (so we were told).
Old 01-27-11, 03:12 PM   #13
Bajahowodd

Traveling through Nevada will force you to go out of your way to see the Grand Canyon. Closest access would be to the North Rim by leaving I-15 at St. George and driving through Zion. North rim is at a higher elevation than the South rim and gets more snow.
Old 01-27-11, 03:34 PM   #14
tripledigitken

tripledigitken is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyandRoss
Thanks for all the good routes. I think we will try going through Nevada. We have had to postpone til end of February so we think the roads will be good by then.

We've got to see the Grand Canyon and it shouldn't be as cold in early March...

I'll post again when I have it all mapped out and let you look for holes.

Thanks again
Ross
Grand Canyon should not be missed if you can swing it.

Note:

Visitor services and facilities inside the National Park on the North Rim are only open from mid-May to mid-October. The road from Jacob Lake to the North Rim (Highway 67) is subject to closure due to snow from mid-October to mid-May. Didn't know if you were planning on staying there. Kanab ,UT would be a logical choice for a overnight after a day trip to the North Rim.

Take pictures.

Ken
Old 01-27-11, 05:14 PM   #15
Bajahowodd

Probably the best aspect of visiting the canyon via the north rim is for those who don't like crowds and lines. However, late February is going to be dicey as far as the roads being open and passable.
Old 01-27-11, 06:51 PM   #16
tripledigitken

tripledigitken is on a distinguished road

I prefer the North Rim for the same reasons. But at over 8,000' you need to be prepared in the winter and swing seasons. I did a backpack down to Phantom Ranch/Colorado River and back over 3 days in October one year. It was in the 60's when I started, 80's at the bottom and snowing at the rim when I hiked out!!!

Ken
Old 01-28-11, 11:30 AM   #17
WendyandRoss

The pics of the canyon are great, DK. One of my nephews just returned from there and last night he showed us his video and pics. It really is fabulous.

So with all the good ideas and advice we've been given, here's a route we're thinking about taking:

I80 to Colorado
176 thru Denver to Utah
191 south to The Arches National Park
South on 191 to 163 south to Monument Valley
163 south to Flagstaff
I40 west to Williams. Day trip to Grand Canyon
I40 west to 93 north to Las Vegas
Side trip to visit newly married nephew and his new family (Spanish).
I15 to I215 south to I5 to La Mesa, San Diego (family)
and we're almost in Baja!!!

What do you think of this trip? Pretty far out, eh?
Old 01-28-11, 12:12 PM   #18
Bajahowodd

I think 163 is like an offshoot and the main road is 160. Anyway, after 160 hits 89 going South toward Flagstaff, you can enter the park from 89 and drive through and exit at Williams.
Old 01-28-11, 01:56 PM   #19
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Wow! That does sound like a great route...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-28-11, 04:34 PM   #20
WendyandRoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
I think 163 is like an offshoot and the main road is 160. Anyway, after 160 hits 89 going South toward Flagstaff, you can enter the park from 89 and drive through and exit at Williams.
Ok, I'll check that out. Williams was suggested by one of the posters as a good overnight stop and depending on how far we drive each day, we might not need to stop in Williams. Still working on the details. We're travelling with 2 dogs so there will be possible unforseen developments...