Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 04-24-10, 11:25 AM   #1
solotr

solotr is on a distinguished road

Confused Decision Time Closing In

Hi All,
I've spent the last 7 months following all the leads and getting the information you all shared with me about possibly moving to Baja. Information overload is no fun

Now I'm down to decision time - Baja or Ecuador. Weird but I saw in one photo of Baja where there are places to have a garden but the information from my first post said desert or beach were my only options.

I don't care about hopping back across the border except to move my really small list of belongings and once I leave US soil all bets are off when it comes to revisiting the past.

My question is this: Where are the farming regions...uh, food growing regions I'm not interested in golfing, fishing or hanging on the beach. If FedEx delivers, I'm good for my music and book needs (had to scratch the library idea).

I think if I see greenery, I might be able to live without the trees requirement for a while. Clean air and clean potable water is a must, non-negotiable on that. No 'gated because we are the Stepfords" communities either. Like to roam around, meet people, sample everything and learn as much as possible.

Ecuador is my second option for the same reasons. Baja is closer, Ecuador has trees.
Thought I'd ask because I'm 2 months away from my road trip
Old 04-24-10, 11:44 AM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Decision Time Closing In

It sounds like you would be a good candidate for the region south of Ensenada.

Santo Tomas, San Vicente, Colonet, Camalu and San Quintin are all well known agriculture areas. Some are hotter than others and require more water for your gardens. I really like the San Quintin area as it is far enough from the border ( 4 hours ) to avoid the border problems and yet not so far that going to San Diego becomes a major ordeal.

Here is a photo of San Quintin right now taken on the road from town to our place out on the beach.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 04-24-10, 01:05 PM   #3
Osprey

Osprey is on a distinguished road

solo, might want to do some more homework. Why scrap the library idea? We are hooked into a major library system in a big city in the states where free books by the zillions are available on audio or download in print. We depend on the internet and sat. TV for music (Sirius). Down south here the average temps are 55 to 75 in the winter, 80 to 90 in the summer and with 12 to 24 inches of rain the huge cash crops sustain a lot of farmers --- wheat, corn, chilis, tomatoes, alfalfa, sorghum, basil, oranges, avacados, mangoes and dates. No crime, clean air, clean water. The Osprey has approved this ad.
Old 04-24-10, 01:09 PM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

And you get to live nearby our own TalkBaja Poet Laureate, Osprey. What more could you ever possibly want for???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 04-24-10, 03:19 PM   #5
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Ron is absolutely correct about recommending the area from Ensenada South to San Quintin. there's even a sizable vineyard operation in this area. Not to mention that the Valle de San Quintin is host to enormous agricultural operations. I must confess that while I certainly respect that you have done your homework, I have to scratch my head at the idea that Baja / Mexico v. Ecuador is your final choice. As you earlier mentioned that you wanted to shy away from humidity, I should point out that humidity, by itself is not always the problem. Again, the Pacific side of Baja from Ensenada to San Quintin, while by its very proximity to the Pacific Ocean can not be considered as a low humidity climate, the fact is that the Westerlies coming from a fairly cool ocean almost never produce a climate that one might find, for instance, in La Paz in the summer. While I'm an unabashed fan of Baja, I must admit that there are a few other places in the world that I would enjoy inhabitating. Probably number one on my list would be Santorini. And they don't even speak Spanish there.
Old 04-24-10, 04:34 PM   #6
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

And there is the Guadalupe valley north of Ensenada.............