Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 06-18-10, 02:27 AM   #1
seajay44

seajay44 is on a distinguished road

Default Planning a Move to Ensenada

Hello:

I just joined yesterday. I am in the early stages of planning a move to Ensenada. I have visited there a couple of times and liked it.

I am planning on moving there in October or November of this year.

I am of retirement age, but, "retirement" in the US today means that you find at least two jobs to replace the good one that you left behind. I now have three online jobs (teaching) and one in the town where I live, Templeton, CA. My online jobs I can easily transfer to Mexico--as long as I can have some assurance of dependable high, speed Internet connections in Ensenada. How are the Internet services there?

I would like to meet online Americans who are now living in Ensenada as I know that I would benefit by their knowledge and experience.

If you live in Ensenada or know something about it that I should know, I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks,

Charlie....
Old 06-18-10, 07:17 AM   #2
noproblemo

noproblemo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Planning a Move to Ensenada

Welcome Charlie, and CONGRATS on your retirement and upcoming move..... We live here full time, half-way between Rosarito and Ensenada, for internet we use Baja Wireless, and really are pleased with it. Will you be renting or purchasing a home? Many good deals out here at present.....
Old 06-18-10, 07:47 AM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum Charlie - this is a good time to move to Mexico IMHO. Just make sure to do your homework first and you will greatly improve your chances of making your move down here a very positive one.

Here is a great book you can order online to help you prepare for all the things you would never have thought of:

Best How to Book on Moving to Mexico - (No - we don't make a dime off the book)

You will have different internet options available to you and as one who makes his living online I can tell you that for the last 8 years the service has been very reliable; extremely reliable in the last five years in my experience.

Ensenada is a big place and if I were to look in that area I would pick one of the communities south of town. The Punta Banda area and Baja Country Club are two of my favorites. I would recommend that you rent for awhile before you buy. It gives you the opportunity to get a taste for the area and see what life here is really like as a resident vs. tourist. There are lots of great real estate opportunities available but they won't be going away anytime soon. No need to rush and that will give you the time to really research where you want to end up living and find the very best deal.

Glad to have you onboard...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 06-21-10, 02:35 AM   #4
seajay44

Thanks for the info, Noproblemo. Your information about the Internet service is very encouraging. I will be renting to begin with.

I have a rather unusual problem that perhaps you have some knowledge of: I have a number of cats that I want to bring with me (of course spayed/neutered, vaccination and health certificates). I contacted the Mexican Consulate in LA, and they said that two cats were no problem, but others would require the payment of a tax. Unless it is unusually high, this is no problem, but what I fear is that all these legal arrangements, taxes paid and details ironed out will mean nothing to the inspection authorities when I enter, and they will want to impound my pets (which I have heard is tantamount to a death sentence since they don't feed or care for them).

Anyway, I'm currently having a lot of anxiety about this. I am trying to find homes for several, but no one wants semi-feral cats that I rescued. Any info or advice you could offer? (Not about homes for the cats, but about getting into Mexico with cats for surreptitious purposes.)

I know that I will have other questions, so, I will get back to you again, I hope.

Thanks for your response.

Seajay44....
Old 06-21-10, 02:52 AM   #5
seajay44

Thank you, BajaGringo, for your response.

The book sounds very interesting. I will order it this week. Your information about the Internet service was reassuring. Thanks for the advice on where to look in Ensenada. I will be following your advice and rent at first.

Right now, I am having a lot of anxiety about bringing my pets. I have too many cats (many are ferals that I rescued as kittens, but they had no home to go back to, so I kept them). I am trying to find home for as many as possible, but may be bringing with as many as five or six (if I'm lucky). I called the Mexican Consulate in LA and briefly talked to them about this, and they said that with vaccination and health certificates (which all of mine will have, anyway) two are fine, but more will require me to pay a tax. I don't mind that, as long as the tax isn't too high. But, what causes me anxiety is that even with all the paperwork, taxes paid, etc, that this will all mean nothing at the inspection station. What I fear most, of course, is having the cats put into quaranteen, which I heard is tantamount to a death sentence as it takes several days or more and they do not feed or care for them. Can you offer me any insight into this. I am calling the Copnsulate again early this week to get more details--hoping, of course, they that they will give me answers that will count when the chips are down. If I can't get this important detail worked out, then this may canecl the whole plan of going to Mexico.

I hope that I can contact you in the future for more information. I apprecciate your knowledgeable input.

Seahay44....
Old 06-21-10, 08:20 AM   #6
noproblemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay44
Thank you, BajaGringo, for your response.

The book sounds very interesting. I will order it this week. Your information about the Internet service was reassuring. Thanks for the advice on where to look in Ensenada. I will be following your advice and rent at first.

Right now, I am having a lot of anxiety about bringing my pets. I have too many cats (many are ferals that I rescued as kittens, but they had no home to go back to, so I kept them). I am trying to find home for as many as possible, but may be bringing with as many as five or six (if I'm lucky). I called the Mexican Consulate in LA and briefly talked to them about this, and they said that with vaccination and health certificates (which all of mine will have, anyway) two are fine, but more will require me to pay a tax. I don't mind that, as long as the tax isn't too high. But, what causes me anxiety is that even with all the paperwork, taxes paid, etc, that this will all mean nothing at the inspection station. What I fear most, of course, is having the cats put into quaranteen, which I heard is tantamount to a death sentence as it takes several days or more and they do not feed or care for them. Can you offer me any insight into this. I am calling the Copnsulate again early this week to get more details--hoping, of course, they that they will give me answers that will count when the chips are down. If I can't get this important detail worked out, then this may canecl the whole plan of going to Mexico.

I hope that I can contact you in the future for more information. I apprecciate your knowledgeable input.

Seahay44....
Seahay, is it possible to bring them in twos and avoid the headaches? Two pets at a time are permitted with no big hassle
Old 06-21-10, 08:26 AM   #7
BajaGringo

That is the answer. Two at a time and you will have no problem whatsoever...

Old 06-21-10, 07:17 PM   #8
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Seajay

After several years of looking for the "right spot" in Baja, We purchased a place in Ensenada at the Baja Country Club. Really enjoy it, and Ensenada is a great town.

I also second the idea of renting before purchase. Find an area that you like, rent for several months. That gives you a chance to look around and check things out.

If you need any info regarding Ensenada, please let me know

Also like the idea of bringing the cats down two at a time
Old 06-21-10, 07:40 PM   #9
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Hey thanks for the information on the cats.. it all helps..

Agree on the renting.. some really nice places

And it has been a pleasure, to not have to pull out my wallet if, the refrigerator goes out, leaking roof, leaking windows.. painting.. new counter tops, you know the pride of ownership..

At my age, it has been a true vacation to not have to "worry" about taking care of a house

I believe that the folks here can give you a lot of really great advice and most likely find a place for you that you will just love..

Have seen it happen here a number of times..

Good luck and enjoy your time.. it is just great down in the Baja.. just follow the advice you get from the folks here and you will be up to speed in no time...

All have a vast knowledge of many, many things..

We may argue about issues, but.. not about how we feel about the Baja.. most of the time we just love the place...

Best wishes and enjoy....
Old 06-21-10, 09:07 PM   #10
Teniente

Plenty of places to rent in the Punta Banda area....Lomas Del Mar; Rancho Packard; LaJoya Beach Camp.....also a couple of places at the Baja Country Club.
Old 06-21-10, 09:23 PM   #11
erasmo

erasmo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Plenty of places to rent in the Punta Banda area....Lomas Del Mar; Rancho Packard; LaJoya Beach Camp.....also a couple of places at the Baja Country Club.
Hi been gone for a while I have 2 homes to rent by estero beach going for 600.00 a month my e is erasmo2@prodigy.net.mx or you can buy them.
Old 06-22-10, 02:29 PM   #12
Teniente

Seajay:

To learn more about Ensenada and the Punta Banda area, you might want to subscribe to the Punta Banda Newsletter:

puntabandanewsletter : PUNTA BANDA COMMUNITY BULLETIN BOARD
Old 06-22-10, 03:38 PM   #13
BajaGringo

Quote:
Probably good to tell those folks to consider advertising them in our free classified section for rentals. I have gotten several emails lately from folks looking for rentals in the Ensenada area. They tell me there are lots of rentals online in Tijuana/Rosarito but no so many further south...

Old 06-22-10, 04:26 PM   #14
Teniente

BG

Next time we are down (August 12-22 for the Ensenada Wine Festival) I will do a drive around and let folks know.

T
Old 06-22-10, 07:01 PM   #15
noproblemo

Quote:
BG

Next time we are down (August 12-22 for the Ensenada Wine Festival) I will do a drive around and let folks know.

T
Why not just post it there free ad space at____________, puntabandanewsletter : PUNTA BANDA COMMUNITY BULLETIN BOARD , seems to me that all Baja web sites should be friendly with links to each other, some are simply trying to help both the locals improve their lives and fellow Americans to settle or travel here and enjoy what we all love BAJA............ and all she offers.
Old 06-23-10, 10:02 AM   #16
Msterieus

Msterieus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Teniente -- it sounds like you are not too worried about drug-related violence in the Ensenada area. Don't a lot of druggie criminals live in/around Ensenada, and isn't there a greater risk, there, of being caught in the middle of a gunfight or the like? (I am thinking about retiring early in Northen Baja, along the Pacific, but had sort of ruled out Ensenada and areas north of it for that reason.)

Thanks
Old 06-23-10, 09:31 PM   #17
Teniente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msterieus
Teniente -- it sounds like you are not too worried about drug-related violence in the Ensenada area. Don't a lot of druggie criminals live in/around Ensenada, and isn't there a greater risk, there, of being caught in the middle of a gunfight or the like? (I am thinking about retiring early in Northen Baja, along the Pacific, but had sort of ruled out Ensenada and areas north of it for that reason.)

Thanks

Been visiting Baja since 1962 and have had NO problems.

Not worried about the Druggies as we are not involved in that culture. You will find that criminals (including Druggies) are everywhere.

No gunfights that I am aware of since we purchased our home in 2005, we are at the Baja Country Club. Ensenada is a "real city" with shopping, great medical services and a variety of cultural events....to include the upcoming Ensenada Wine Festival.

Speaking of gunfights, just look at the Las Vegas newspaper everyday!!!! Unfortunately you could be caught in a gunfight between gangs and/or the gangs and police in any town north of the border. We take the same precautions south of the border as we do north.

As a side note, I would suggest that before you settle down, spend at least 6 months in an area (or if you can, several areas) to get the "lay of the land", and determine if that is where you want to live.

Last edited by Teniente; 06-23-10 at 09:38 PM.
Old 06-24-10, 09:23 AM   #18
Msterieus

Msterieus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for sharing your experiences, Teniente.
Old 06-24-10, 10:04 AM   #19
BajaGringo

Like any city of its size, north or south of the border, Ensenada will have its share of problems but IMHO it is much safer than the reports of crime coming from the border areas. Once you head out south of town to some of the communities mentioned it becomes quieter and even much safer. Use common sense and you will be OK.

Old 07-07-10, 01:54 AM   #20
seajay44

Thanks, for your suggestion. That will be what I will do. I am working on bringing the number down to 6, which will mean three across the border trips. If you have any further advice regarding this approach, I'd appreciate it.