Building your Baja dream home Advice, photos and ideas...

Old 12-31-10, 10:58 AM   #1
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

Default Construction planning Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I have been considering a desal system but want to up my power system a bit first. Right now I have a little over 2kW output in solar panels plus the wind turbines. I want to add another kW of solar and am looking at a 1500w wind turbine right now to add to the system.

Until then we pay nacho to truck us in water at 800 pesos a pop.

As far as termites go, are you looking to do all wood construction? We installed a pitched wood roof and pre-treated it all (a couple of times) before installing.

I haven't seen any signs of termite damage at my neighbors places around here, some which are all wood and over 30 years old.
I'm planning on all concrete construction, but after looking at LongLegs pics of her home construction I am pretty excited about the foam block style. I have looked into the same type system here in the PNW, but there is some history of the foam being destroyed by carpenter ants.

I have friends with wind generators, and have used them on boats. They make good power, but can be loud. I guess the sound of the surf will cover it, right?

Do you, or does anyone near you have a well? There are a number of small DC Reverse Osmosis marine systems out there, but I would probably build my own from parts out of Grainger and FilmTec. A home-built system won't have all the bells and whistles that a packaged system would, but it will be less than half the cost.

I am hoping to make a first trip down this winter, perhaps as early as January. Regardless of when I come down, I would love to take you to dinner and talk through what I'm thinking about.
Old 12-31-10, 11:22 AM   #2
Islander

Default Construction planning Questions

Greetings All,

I am new here, and after reading through (and looking at all the great pictures!) have decided to join in the conversation.

First of all, this is a very, very helpful site for those of us who are forced to at least begin fulfilling our baja dreams from afar. The sharing of construction stories, with costs, successes and failures, and best of all, pictures, has greatly clarified my thinking.

My criteria are similar to BajaGringo's for site selection. I am on a very limited budget, and really need to get it right the first time, I'm getting too old and busted up to be able to afford a do-over on this one!

I have spent 20 years building custom homes in NW Washington, and the last seven running an Alaskan Charter boat. Between those two careers I have aquired some skills that will come in very handy, at least I hope so! The boat is a self-contained system, with water, electrical and sewage systems for as many as 16 people on board. I know what works, what doesn't, and what breakdowns can smell like (bad!).

After building trophy second and third homes for the uber rich, I know that I want to have good systems and finishes in my home, but I after living on a boat for several years, I know that I can get by with much less space than most folks seem to need. Our limited budget means that we have a very finite amount of money to build with, so, I want to build small but with high quality systems and finishes. I am trying to design a nice looking 2 Br, 2Ba home of not more than 1600 SF. Even that feels big to me, extravagant even.

I am budgeting for a 4KW solar power system, and a solar water heater. 4KW may be overkill for the conditions there? As a hands-on builder I am planning on at least being full time supervisor, and am thinking that by going to foam block I may be able to just bring in a local crew to pour and finish the floor and roof slabs. That said, I think it's important to begin building connections within the local community as soon as possible, and hiring locals to do the work is a good first step in that direction.

Well, I need to stop typing, or no one will read this! Thank you again for your forum.
Old 12-31-10, 11:31 AM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Construction planning Questions

Wow - with that life experience you will be a natural fit down here. The 4 kW of solar sounds good (how can you have too much??? ) although I wouldn't discount factoring in a wind turbine or two. We get pretty consistent breezes out here and the added amps fed into your batter bank make watching late night TV on the big screen and microwave popcorn a worry of the past. Noise is not a factor at all.

We use the instantaneous type water heater fired by propane. They really are economical and you never run out of hot water, even with a dozen folks taking showers one right after another.

I haven't seen any of the block foam construction around here. The temperature here are pretty mild and the cinder block we used in our home has provided great insulation when compared to neighbors home built with the standard cement block.

Take into consideration as well the accessibility for trucked in concrete as that might be a factor. We poured the back roof (losa) of the house using just an onsite cement mixer and a hired crew of about a dozen to move the concrete up the scaffolding quickly. By noon it was done and it came out great. Not so much as even a small damp spot anywhere after several major storm systems have come through our area.

I would like to know what area up here you are looking at - it sounds like somewhere very close to our place...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 12-31-10, 11:55 AM   #4
Islander

BG, We're looking at some acreage near where a man is gathering and selling beach cobbles. Prettty much straight west of San Quintin. I don't have the lat/long handy.

At this point I am investigating the idea of building a 10 home family and friends compound on a large beach from parcel. It will be a cooperative, we will own our homes along with an undivided share of the whole parcel. I plan on clustering the homes around a shared pool and patio so we can leave the rest of the land undisturbed as a buffer. Having grown up in a small beach town north of San Diego, I know what's coming, and hope to establish our own open space while it's still possible.

By not using a developer or a lender, and using our own skills as possible, we hope to keep our developement costs as low as possible.

I am working on two floor plans, a 1br of about 1000sf, and a 2br of about 1600sf. All the homes will be single level, and have wide doors and no-threshold showers. These will be our "last homes" so I want to allow for us to live comfortably and safely through a range of disabilities. The outside paths will meet ADA standards for slopes, curbs and turn radius.

Pueblo style flat roofs with parapits to hide the solar equipment, and a simple yet elegant geometry that will simplify construction.

It's possible that the cinder block you used will satisfy my goals for insulation, do you have an idea of their R-factor? Did you use dual glazed windows? Vinyl or aluminum or?
Old 12-31-10, 12:00 PM   #5
BajaGringo

We used dual pane windows and to be honest I haven't a clue about the R factor of the cinder block. What we did do was fill them with a slurry made up of cement, sand and crushed volcanic rock which helps as well.

I would be very interested to know what stretch of local beach you are considering. There are a couple of important legal details about some of the parcels around here so send me a private message with the details and I will share what I know...

Old 12-31-10, 12:11 PM   #6
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New in town

Rather than waiting patiently for Islander to start a new thread under the building forum, I'll keep posting here....because I have faith that either BG or Marty Cortez will do a little housekeeping & move all the construction-related posts here to the appropriate thread.

Islander, you need to do some research about wells....I don't know what rate they charge, but unlike in the states, all ground water in Mexico falls under Federal jurisdiction & ownership....you can get permission to have a well, but you are charged a metered rate on the amount you extract. I know that there are a lot of illegal wells even in my area, but I personally wouldn't be willing to take the risk of the penalties associated if it were to be reported or otherwise discovered by the authorities. Might be cheaper in the long run to just build a cistern (which you'll need anyway) & buy water by the truck load. I don't know whether the delivered water in SQ is potable, or whether BG uses purified bottled water for consumption & cooking (ice for his Cadillac Margaritas!) or if he uses the trucked in water. I'm about 10 miles outside of La Paz & outside of the "city water" by about 2 blocks, in two directions & I know that the source of my trucked in water is the same source as the "city water"....it's lightly chlorinated....I use it & have never had a problem.

I sincerely doubt that you'd get enough rain water on a year-round basis to fulfill your water needs....plus, this is a very dusty country & you'd end up with a lot of gray water before you even used it....I've been up on my roof & can assure you that I wouldn't be drinking any water that came off of there!!

You're correct, RotoPlas is simply a brand name....I know they make septic systems with a filtration system, but I haven't seen one that purifies or filters water for human consumption.....doesn't mean they aren't out there, I've just never seen one.
Old 12-31-10, 12:21 PM   #7
BajaGringo

Several folks I know around here have wells - not sure if they went through the "legal" process to drill them but if it is like most other things around here, probably not. Unless you go several hundred feet down, it will be salty...

Old 12-31-10, 12:43 PM   #8
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

BG, I think you need to 'fess up & tell Islander which of your materials you found locally & what you had to haul down....such as the dual pane or thermal pane windows. Availability of materials in the area you end up building can drive the cost up a LOT!

I know after getting 3 local quotes for solar for heating pool water alone, I forgot that dream fast! All 3 bids came in just over $20K USD!!! Baja Gringo's quote to come install it for me involved things like first class air fare, 5-star accommodations & fine dining....so quote #4 was out the window, too! And my pool is definitely NOT Olympic size!!
Old 12-31-10, 12:48 PM   #9
BajaGringo

The good news is that we are only four hours or so from the border so bringing windows down was not that big of a deal. The good news is that since then I have found some good sources for dual pane here in northern Baja...

Old 12-31-10, 12:53 PM   #10
Islander

Thank you for your input, it is very much appreciated! I am planning on getting permits for everything, and giving accurate figure for tax calculations. If I was 30 I might be more willing to make myself vulnerable to the authorities, but not at my current advanced years.

I know that I need a permit for a well, and that mineral rights (water included) don't come with the land like they usually do in the states. I also know that you can use reverse osmosis to purify all manner of nasty water, and that processing fresh water takes far less power then does sea water. I would probably build in a diversion valve in the catchment system, and let the first few minutes rain run off into the gray water side before switching to the potable system, then run it through a sand filter on the way into the tank, an RO and UV system on the way out. Sounds more complicated than it is. Minimal power needed ( less than 1HP for the RO pump).

One concern I have for the foam block system you used is how the stucco coat is attached to the concrete itself. Is the chicken wire matrix just stapled to the foam, or was it also tied into the concrete? Seems like it might not get a good bond to the foam alone?

I have seen some folks on here thinking about using steel studs, and I have seen it done in homes built by some, shall we say, marginal developers in Costa Rica. I want the solid feel of a concrete structure, and to be able to shut a door without the place trembling.

I am doing research into foam block systems now, I'll get back to you with my questions as I have them.

Just so you know, as I write it is sunny and 25 degress here. I think that you guys have chosen wisely!!
Old 12-31-10, 05:29 PM   #11
McFez

McFez is on a distinguished road

....."No. I am doing long distance research concerning land costs, utilities, permitting, etc. I hope to make a first trip down this winter",

If I am reading this correctly...you have never been to Baja?

We visited Baja for nearly two years looking for a right place to go with. Ended up in San Felipe because it was close to Sacramento (14 hour drive), and that it is a good "base" for exploring the Sea of Cortez offerings.

Just to add...I did read a lot about offering towns of Baja...most did not pan out to what we thought would be great for us.....

Hope in your car for a few weeks and explore I would advise. Regardless...good luck to your ventures!
Old 12-31-10, 10:44 PM   #12
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFez
....."No. I am doing long distance research concerning land costs, utilities, permitting, etc. I hope to make a first trip down this winter",

If I am reading this correctly...you have never been to Baja?

We visited Baja for nearly two years looking for a right place to go with. Ended up in San Felipe because it was close to Sacramento (14 hour drive), and that it is a good "base" for exploring the Sea of Cortez offerings.

Just to add...I did read a lot about offering towns of Baja...most did not pan out to what we thought would be great for us.....

Hope in your car for a few weeks and explore I would advise. Regardless...good luck to your ventures!
McFez, thank you for the advice. I have made several trips spanning several years into both Baja and the mainland coast. I plan on spending a good deal of energy investigating what area in general, and what land specifically we will choose.
But I want to start with the intellectual component of finding a retirement location before I get sidetracked by the on-site excitement that I've seen others fall into. That excitement is all very well, and important as a confirmation, but the physical parameters need to be met first.
Those include:
* Within 30 minutes of a shopping and doctor town.
* Less than 10 miles and more than 2 miles from a paved road.
* On the beach, or with an unobstructable ocean view
* Within 5 hours drive of the border
* Livable year round climate without a furnace or air conditioning.
* In an area in which land and construction costs fit within our tiny budget.
* In an area where the gringos live in reasonable homes, no ego boxes.
* A place with multiple opportunities to interact with nature.
* Surfing, hiking, kayaking, surf/deep sea fishing, birding, sailing.
* A nearby community of Christians.
* Opportunities for service involvement in the local community.
That's all that spring to mind at this point, there are more, but that's all I have on hand right now.
Thank you again for your advice, and Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-11, 11:27 AM   #13
BajaGringo

I am a big believer in making a list for the very reason you stated as it is easy to fall in love with the view somewhere and forget the practical side of the equation. Another good point about making a list is that it forces you to actually think about these important factors BEFORE you start looking at real estate, something too few seem to do IMHO.

We spent almost two years working on our list and search to match before ending up here. For us, it really paid off...

Old 01-01-11, 05:21 PM   #14
Islander

We have been looking all over Central America, and actually own a small farm in the central highlands of Costa Rica, but it is just too far away. We have friends and family in San Diego and the Northwest. It takes us two flights and 20+hours in an airplane, and then a four hour drive to get to the farm in Costa Rica, and with the new airport security rules I'm less inclined to fly then ever.

The farm is great, two running streams, several cold springs and a warm spring that is channeled into a rock pool, even a 3kw hydro plant! But it is 3 hours to the beach, and again, it is a very long way from family and friends.

Los Cabos is too crowded and expensive. Todos Santos is beautiful, but affordable land is way back from the beach, has no view, and is in the midst of a thousand other small lots.

East Cape is too expensive, too hot in the summer, and too far to a consistant surfing beach.

Anything closer to the border then San Quintin is too close to the boundary lunacy, and again, too crowded and expensive.

We have owned our own small businesses for the last 30 years, and have lived pretty much hand to mouth that whole time. As a result there are no retirement savings and no pension. We have built 3 homes on three contiguous lots, and live in one of them. By selling one home and our business we can pay off the loans and build a modest home somewhere else. We will have to rent out the two remaining homes to stretch whatever may remain of Social Security, and because we want to keep them to pass to our kids.

I think that a lot of us are in similar situations.

It would be interesting to read others stories of how they ended up where they are, and how it's working out. What did you learn along the way?
Old 01-01-11, 09:40 PM   #15
McFez

McFez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
We have been looking all over Central America, and actually own a small farm in the central highlands of Costa Rica, but it is just too far away. We have friends and family in San Diego and the Northwest. It takes us two flights and 20+hours in an airplane, and then a four hour drive to get to the farm in Costa Rica, and with the new airport security rules I'm less inclined to fly then ever.

The farm is great, two running streams, several cold springs and a warm spring that is channeled into a rock pool, even a 3kw hydro plant! But it is 3 hours to the beach, and again, it is a very long way from family and friends.

Los Cabos is too crowded and expensive. Todos Santos is beautiful, but affordable land is way back from the beach, has no view, and is in the midst of a thousand other small lots.

East Cape is too expensive, too hot in the summer, and too far to a consistant surfing beach.

Anything closer to the border then San Quintin is too close to the boundary lunacy, and again, too crowded and expensive.

We have owned our own small businesses for the last 30 years, and have lived pretty much hand to mouth that whole time. As a result there are no retirement savings and no pension. We have built 3 homes on three contiguous lots, and live in one of them. By selling one home and our business we can pay off the loans and build a modest home somewhere else. We will have to rent out the two remaining homes to stretch whatever may remain of Social Security, and because we want to keep them to pass to our kids.

I think that a lot of us are in similar situations.

It would be interesting to read others stories of how they ended up where they are, and how it's working out. What did you learn along the way?
I did a post at the BajaNomads about settling in...somewhere in Baja.
The real issue boils down to single line item: will you miss the family and friends? Having built a little house in San Felipe and buying up some other offerings including a small ranch....we found that no one wanted to vacation with us in Baja. That's when it hit us...move there and then what? Family WILL become a issue to address. No Xmas. No Holidays. :-(

We decided to build a farm here in North Sacramento, and then have the option to live at both the beach house and the farm. Its a good resolution for us. 14 hours away by car. We'll be "moving in" to Baja 1/2 time/ and the farm 1/2 time.... in a few years.

After ten years of being in San Felipe....only two of my sons have been there. One loved it (youngest) the other hated it :-) And so here I sit in Sacramento right this very minute on my farm.....every single member of my family went off to Germany, Arizona, or the "other" family for Xmas! Cant win :-)

Clearly think of your love ones before moving so far away.
Old 01-01-11, 09:51 PM   #16
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFez
Clearly think of your love ones before moving so far away.
A valid point to consider, indeed. Lucky for us that Cristina's family is already living in Mexico and my side of the family loves coming down here. My daughter and son-in-law are building a place close to ours and they plan a lot of their vacation time around trips down here with us.

However I also have a friend with a beautiful home right on the beach in Laguna Niguel and his kids never come to visit either. They all live in the bay area. Sometimes it is just a sign of the times we live in as our kids get so wrapped in their own families, jobs, etc. Seems I just read a column on that very subject right before Christmas...

Old 01-02-11, 02:47 PM   #17
Islander

I known that just because we build a home in a great vacation spot the kids may not visit. The best I can do is to make it more or less feasible for visitors, and not hide out in a jungle somewhere.

An even worse situation is to fail to plan for our brittle years, and end up being forced to move into one of our kids converted garages because we need increasing care. That makes our kids 100% responsible to keep us entertained and safe, and I don't want to force either of us into that situation.

That's why anything I build as a vacation/retirement home will be on one floor, with wide doorways and a roll-in shower. As well as an extra bedroom with it's own entrance as a home for a possible live-in caregiver.

McFez; I've read that "friends are the family that you get to choose". I think those are words to live by, it takes a weight off of our kids, and frees us to make our own "families" where ever we are. We tend to invite everyone we know who are apart from family to share our holidays with us. We always seem to have a full house. There have been a few awkward situations when it became obvoius exactly WHY someone was on their own, but even at the most weird there is a wonderful sense of community that makes it all worth while.
Old 01-02-11, 04:35 PM   #18
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
I known that just because we build a home in a great vacation spot the kids may not visit. The best I can do is to make it more or less feasible for visitors, and not hide out in a jungle somewhere.

An even worse situation is to fail to plan for our brittle years, and end up being forced to move into one of our kids converted garages because we need increasing care. That makes our kids 100% responsible to keep us entertained and safe, and I don't want to force either of us into that situation.

That's why anything I build as a vacation/retirement home will be on one floor, with wide doorways and a roll-in shower. As well as an extra bedroom with it's own entrance as a home for a possible live-in caregiver.

McFez; I've read that "friends are the family that you get to choose". I think those are words to live by, it takes a weight off of our kids, and frees us to make our own "families" where ever we are. We tend to invite everyone we know who are apart from family to share our holidays with us. We always seem to have a full house. There have been a few awkward situations when it became obvoius exactly WHY someone was on their own, but even at the most weird there is a wonderful sense of community that makes it all worth while.
So true.

I get a lot of email from folks who just lurk / never post and many ask questions and share with me about their own situations - some extremely candid. More and more folks today seem to find themselves with little left for retirement after losses in the stock market, real estate, business failures, divorce, loss of employment, etc etc etc. It is a reality and if my email is any gauge at all, I would guess that the numbers are increasing.

Some folks like to argue about whether or not it really is less expensive to live down here vs north of the border. I guess the real answer to that question is based on how/where you want to live. I could never have afforded to buy any land right by the beach north of the border to build what we have here. Even if a rich uncle gave me a house on the beach in California, the annual property taxes would be very difficult to keep paying year after year. Down here in our region it is typically less than $150 dollars annually.

We buy all our groceries at the local market or from vendors who come out to the house. We produce all the electricity we use (haven't run the generator in months) and the only thing left is to put in a well and install an RO system.

As far as family, luckily they do enjoy coming down so that hasn't been a concern. Friends are a huge part of our life here and thankfully we have been blessed with a large circle of very good friends here where we live.

This lifestyle certainly isn't for everybody but we personally wouldn't choose to be anywhere else...

Old 01-11-11, 11:58 PM   #19
Islander

Greetings from the snowy Pacific Northwest! *sigh*

I wanted to thank the participants in this thread again, and give you an update on our plans
status.

Earlier in this thread I stated that we are looking for a large parcel to share with as many as 10 other families. To measure possible interest I wrote a 5-page vision statement and provided planning and budget detail projections, and sent it to 15 friends who I think may be interested. To date I have received 3 "sounds worth checking out (someday)s, 3 "you are insane's, and nothing from the other 9.

So, not being an idiot, and knowing that of the 3 possibles perhaps 1 will hang around when monetary transfer time arrives, I am now considering smaller parcels. Something suitable and zoned for (or at least not prohibited) 2 or 3 homes.

I have found out that it will be feasible to run a desal pump off of a modest solar/wind electrical system. I have finished a preliminary design for a 2 br 2 ba 1650sf home (which is bigger than I wanted it to be, but compromise was needed to maintain unity). I am planning on building the foundation from block and site-mixed concrete, the walls from cinder block (per BG), and the roof from site-poured concrete using an insulated foam block grid system (per LongLegsinLaPaz).

I think that the floors will be dyed and sealed concrete. There will be a large cistern below the patio (5000+gallons), a provision for a roof-top patio, and a slightly oversized single car detached garage. My preliminary, and only partly quoted construction budget is about $50/sf for the house, and $25/sf for the garage and cistern/patio.

If I read some of the posts under the off-grid threads correctly, several of you are getting float on your charging amost every day, and doing that with fewer panels than I was budgeting for, so, I will put more money into batteries and wind generators, and less into solar panels. I have $12,500 in that line item.

At this rate I think that I can buy a shared lot, build a really nice home that will see serve my family for a generation or two, and have well under $150k in it all.

So, who will be first to point out something obvious that I have totally missed?? anybody?

Bueller?
Old 01-12-11, 09:42 AM   #20
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Very interesting.I have always enjoyed construction. I have noticed that the method most commonly user is what I call post and beam where you pour columms and and beam's and use light weight block,steel studs or foam block to fill the walls. Seams like to me this area would be a natural for Rammed Earth const. A person i knew in northern Ca. built a couple models that turner out very nice The E.R.S. he attained using this method were fantastic. the Ramed Earth concept eleminates the post and beam concept because the walls are support elements Also i hear a lot of talk about energy conservation. the rammed earth seams like a natural .
1. the walls are support elements
2. the denstit oy the walls is a Natural for insulation
3.While you are at it during construction install a Radon heating system which uses the walls and floor denstiy for insulation You are already wasting energy heating water,Use it for Heat