Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Baja Norte narco turf war situation- what next?

New post from one of our friends at BajaNomad.

Thought provoking; to say the least.

And what a (temporary)relief to not have to wade through endless "I told you so" taunts from the Troll Of A Thousand Psychosis Names.
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Baja Norte narco turf war situation- what next?

It is an interesting post but I also have to agree with Dennis that they have been growing this stuff down here for awhile now - no secret to that. In fact they are growing it everywhere, north and south of the border. A close family member working in LE in Central California has spent the last few months locating and destroying clandestine crops up in the Sierras. He tells me that even with more bodies being added to the task force each week as well as added air support for detection and removal they can't keep up with it. Having lived in Sequoia National Forest for a few years I can tell you that place alone is full of it growing in between all the ferns. You can hardly walk in the forest up there anymore without stumbling across it.

This drug war is no different than the war on alcohol back in the days of prohibition. There are way too many consumers to incarcerate and the high volume of cash it produces makes it way too easy to buy off cops and even high level liaison agents. Just like back in Chicago in the day (well, actually now too) with the kicker of new technology that makes these guys a lot more slick.

If somebody wants to get stoned there is no stopping them, whether it be on alcohol or drugs. Government cannot be our mommy and people should have the right to put whatever they want into their bodies, even if it is stupid. It's part of the human condition and we can't fix stupid, as somebody I know loves to say.

I say stop this idiotic war, legalize them all, apply the same laws for being stoned and disorderly/driving while stoned as we do for alcohol and then tax the sale of it all along the way. Not a perfect solution but I don't see any win-win exits out of this one. If we can't fix stupid then at least let's stop wasting time, money and resources on it and tax it to boot.

OK, rant over...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
noproblemo

noproblemo is on a distinguished road

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Msterieus

Msterieus is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I say stop this idiotic war, legalize them all, apply the same laws for being stoned and disorderly/driving while stoned as we do for alcohol and then tax the sale of it all along the way. Not a perfect solution but I don't see any win-win exits out of this one. If we can't fix stupid then at least let's stop wasting time, money and resources on it and tax it to boot.
OK, rant over...
BG: Does that apply even to heroin? Crack? Crystal meth?
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msterieus
That question, alone, is what inhibits progress. The major reason given for the prohibition of pot is that it is this so-called 'gateway drug'. There has never been an conclusive evidence to support it. I always believed that the government vilification of marijuana was really just Nixon's way to get back at the hippies (aka anti-war activisits), despite the fact that the vast majority of those who served in Viet Nam did pot.

I won't put words in BG's mouth, but many advocates of decriminalizing marijuana would take a similar approach with all drugs, using the libertarian idea that people have the right to screw themselves up so long as it does not affect others.
Msterieus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
That question, alone, is what inhibits progress.

I won't put words in BG's mouth, but many advocates of decriminalizing marijuana would take a similar approach with all drugs, using the libertarian idea that people have the right to screw themselves up so long as it does not affect others.
I was not trying to suggest that pot led to the consumption of any other intoxicant.

In what way does my question "inhibit progress"???
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
I always believed that the government vilification of marijuana was really just Nixon's way to get back at the hippies (aka anti-war activisits), despite the fact that the vast majority of those who served in Viet Nam did pot.
Don't think so. I saw Film Noir propaganda about Mary Jane and Reefer in school when I was a little kid....before Beatniks, Hippies and before Checkers was a pup. Guess I was brainwashed pretty good. Didn't try it until I was 57.
Marty Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty
...Didn't try it until I was 57.
Don't believe it for a minute.

BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msterieus
I don't care if people want to smoke jet fuel.

If they want to destroy their mind and body with legal or illegal drugs they will do it. History has proven that fact and no amount of government intervention will change that.

We are pissing in the wind trying...

kate

kate is on a distinguished road

noproblemo

IF they would legalize it could help wipe out the countries soaring debt with the taxes on the stuff, plus cut down on prisoners and us paying to house and feed them !!!!!!!!!! Oh, and hurt the Cartels profits........ Win Win situation for all
dusty

I've always had my doubts about the tax advantages of something that is easier to grow in a garden pot than tomatoes. And while I don't disagree with Bajahowodd's proposition that a lot of people obviously don't grow their own tomatoes. I understand from growers that the marketable yield per plant is far greater than a couple of dozen tomatoes per plant that don't have a very long shelf life. Don't have any data, cuz I just don't care that much, but common sense tells me that in order to make an impact on government revenues you'd have to tax pretty heavily and the more you tax the more you stimulate growing at home and sharing with your friends.

It does have possibilities for barter should their be an economic "meltdown".

Digression...thought of you at the grocery store, problemo, for disaster prep.....honey. As far as I know nothing has a longer shelf life.
dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
Don't believe it for a minute.
]
Honey, when this body was tradeable, I knew it was worth more than Kicks.
noproblemo

Quote:
I've always had my doubts about the tax advantages of something that is easier to grow in a garden pot than tomatoes. And while I don't disagree with Bajahowodd's proposition that a lot of people obviously don't grow their own tomatoes. I understand from growers that the marketable yield per plant is far greater than a couple of dozen tomatoes per plant that don't have a very long shelf life. Don't have any data, cuz I just don't care that much, but common sense tells me that in order to make an impact on government revenues you'd have to tax pretty heavily and the more you tax the more you stimulate growing at home and sharing with your friends.

It does have possibilities for barter should their be an economic "meltdown".

Digression...thought of you at the grocery store, problemo, for disaster prep.....honey. As far as I know nothing has a longer shelf life.
Gee sweetie, thanks for the honey tip will add to my list Seriously tho, you are correct in that the shelf life is nearly forever and requires no refrig... I just couldn't resist the opener dusty
Msterieus

I worry that (even) more kids will get into pot, if it's legal and more widely available, even with age restrictions on sale. (I worry about more than that, with respect to harder drugs, having to do with the financial burden that I think will be placed on taxpayers. (I posted on this before, although I think someone deleted it -- never knew why.)
Msterieus

Hmmm, I never saw that one. But I still remember the one with Sonny Bono that they played for us in high school! (I can't remember, now, if when I saw it, he had aready started hanging around with Cher, who lived down the street and who drove us to school when her mother was not up to carpool duty.)
BajaGringo

Do you think fewer kids would try cigarettes if they were illegal? I doubt it.

dusty

Too young. If you didn't walk to school, those flicks were probably lifted out of your curriculum along with the duck and cover drills that turned us into a bunch of little anti-communists.

BG, you raise a really good point, look at the impact the anti smoking movement has had. Someone can joke about smoking pot or snorting cocaine and few make a derisive comment. Hell's Bells we've managed to elect a couple of presidents who admit to using illegal substances and yet the media gets on Obama's case once in a while for smoking cigarettes. IMO we have done diddly squat to raise our standards and lower our tolerance for drug and substance use, legal or illegal,

Last edited by dusty; 07-25-10 at 08:52 PM.
Marty Cortez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
...stop this idiotic war, legalize them all, apply the same laws for being stoned and disorderly/driving while stoned as we do for alcohol...
Amen.

I was reading a comment the other day about how many people are killed on the road by druggies; what a tremendous menace that is.

Offered by a guy who has admitted to needing to "cut back" on his drinking.

Based on a presumption of "under the influence" with no demonstrated method of determining so except evidence of prior use at some unspecified time.

In other words, if I last smoked a month ago and urinalysis were positive after a crash, I was legally under the influence.

Preposterous. Take it a step further with a hair analysis. I keep mine pretty long

so that trace from the tippy top I grew a few years ago convicts me?

Our law system has about as much integrity/honesty as the medical marijuana industry does nowadays.

It's all about what you can get away with, ain't it folks?
Msterieus

Quote:
Too young. If you didn't walk to school, those flicks were probably lifted out of your curriculum along with the duck and cover drills that turned us into a bunch of little anti-communists.
Not that young: Just last Friday, I turned [CENSORED] .

I do remember duck and cover drills, and I remember worrying, with my family, about what we'd do if the Cuban missile crisis came to a head. (I remember earthquake drills, too. I wonder why THEY were stopped.)

About walking to school: I walked to and from when I was in kindergarten - 2nd grade. Then, we moved, and the moms (or Cher, on occasion) carpooled to take us TO school. However, we always walked home. I don't know why we rode only in one direction; maybe it was uphill on the way there & downhill going home.

Last edited by Msterieus; 07-26-10 at 09:46 AM.