General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 08-16-10, 05:40 PM   #1
Gringo Gary

Gringo Gary is on a distinguished road

Confused Cell Phone / Nextel Walkie Talkie?

I have asked about a month ago about cell phone in baja. My understanding is that it is fairly expensive based on the US costs for service. What I need is communications from Baja to the wife in California while I am building a house. Don't plan to be a full timer and don't think I will have satellite internet until the house is built. Noticed that when I was in Ensenada a couple of years ago the Nextel Walkie talkie worked all the way back to the US. I will be in the Pacific side of Baja in a place called Erendira about 50 miles south of Ensenada, Appears that they do have cell coverage in the town and was wondering what I need to do to have walkie talkie to my Nextel or do I just need to get new phone service from Baja?
Old 08-16-10, 05:44 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Cell Phone / Nextel Walkie Talkie?

Nextel does not reach down to Erendira yet. Just south of Ensenada is about as far as it goes last time I checked. Why don't you ask around in town down there to see if anybody has wifi? There are several wifi phones available that may just fit the bill...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 08-16-10, 07:31 PM   #3
Gringo Gary

Gringo Gary is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Cell Phone / Nextel Walkie Talkie?

Thanks for the info however being that I am unfamiliar with a wifi (Wireless - Internet - Forever - Intriguing) version of a telephone. Which phones do you think would work? even after I habla with the locals (maybe I just ordered a pizza) where would one go to have it turned on?

Ran across this link, but I am still confused. I do have a lap top I could take with wifi.

Mexico Communications, Telephones, Cell Phones, Internet Calls, Mobile, Call Charges, Area Codes, Mexican Post

Thanks
GG

Last edited by Gringo Gary; 08-16-10 at 07:57 PM.