Building your Baja dream home Advice, photos and ideas...

Old 08-27-10, 02:49 PM   #1
Msterieus

Msterieus is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Hebel, a new construction material

When I was in the Ensenada area, I met a Mexican-American engineer/builder (Gilberto) who is just finishing construction on a house in Ejido Chapatulpec, made of a new material called "Hebel." I believe it originated in Germany and is used in Europe and the US, to some degree. There is, apparently, only one factory in Mx that makes it (I forget where). Gilberto told me that Hebel has incredible insulation and sound-proofing properties, among others.

I examined some Hebel: It looks pretty-much like white concrete, but it is much lighter-weight. I gather it is quite expensive, but that building with it somewhat minimizes the need for as much framing. It sounded like a wonderful material with which to build a house -- especially for sissies like me, who like my home not too cold and not too hot. Here is a link I found that describes the stuff.

Why Hebel? - xella International
Old 08-27-10, 02:57 PM   #2
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Hebel, a new construction material

Pretty neat... those Germans...
Old 08-27-10, 03:02 PM   #3
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I have heard of it but have never seen it up close. Did you actually get to see the place in Chapatulpec that was being built using the material? It would be interesting to know how much more expensive it is to build with it to do a cost comparison...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 08-27-10, 03:15 PM   #4
Msterieus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I have heard of it but have never seen it up close. Did you actually get to see the place in Chapatulpec that was being built using the material? It would be interesting to know how much more expensive it is to build with it to do a cost comparison...
Yes, I saw the place. It looked like any old concrete block construction. It was nice and cool inside. I believe the engineer said the stuff costs 6 times the cost of concrete. (What percentage of building materials costs does concrete comprise?) I don't know how much $ might be saved in framing materials or maybe labor, though.
Old 08-27-10, 03:57 PM   #5
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like good old "supply and demand" to me.
Old 08-27-10, 04:13 PM   #6
BajaGringo

One thing I would be concerned about is the availability of "maestros" who are familiar with / know how to work with this stuff. Cement block has some limitations when it comes to insulation so what we did was build with cinder block. It's basically a cement block with small, volcanic gravel mixed in. Much better thermal properties than cement block, lighter meaning less weight on your foundation and the porous face allows the "enplaste" stage to soak into the block instead of just sticking to the face as in cement block. That translates into less chance of cracking and a much better water seal.

Our house stayed nice and warm last winter and cool all this summer...

Old 08-27-10, 06:41 PM   #7
redondogolfer

redondogolfer is on a distinguished road

The "why Hebel? does not speak to a cost advantage, at least directly, so one would have to assume a strong cost/benefit case does not exist at this time. Some of the properties, e.g., flammable, explosive, etc. speak to a higher end use in mfg. or storage of dangerous materials. I would also be interested in the durability over time, i.e, how long has it been in use and what is the status of the material vs. when built?
Old 08-27-10, 07:14 PM   #8
Msterieus

Quote:
One thing I would be concerned about is the availability of "maestros" who are familiar with / know how to work with this stuff. Cement block has some limitations when it comes to insulation so what we did was build with cinder block. It's basically a cement block with small, volcanic gravel mixed in. Much better thermal properties than cement block, lighter meaning less weight on your foundation and the porous face allows the "enplaste" stage to soak into the block instead of just sticking to the face as in cement block. That translates into less chance of cracking and a much better water seal.

Our house stayed nice and warm last winter and cool all this summer...
Good point. IF I were to build my own place, and IF I wanted to spend the $ involved in using Hebel, and IF, as I now suspect, I did so around Punta Banda (SQ was just too remote and rugged for me), then at least I know that this guy seems to know what he's doing.
Old 08-27-10, 07:18 PM   #9
Msterieus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redondogolfer
The "why Hebel? does not speak to a cost advantage, at least directly, so one would have to assume a strong cost/benefit case does not exist at this time. Some of the properties, e.g., flammable, explosive, etc. speak to a higher end use in mfg. or storage of dangerous materials. I would also be interested in the durability over time, i.e, how long has it been in use and what is the status of the material vs. when built?
I got the feeling that there is NOT a cost-savings, at least, not right away. I imaging that, if one wanted to heat one's place in winter (which I suspect I might, in the cool Punta Banda area, especially at the higher altitudes), it might pay off over time. I really don't understand why more new houses in that area are not built with central heating, in the first place. Many gringos who build some of these houses certainly could afford the electricity.

Anyhow, since I have no idea how the cost of concrete block figures into overall costs, I am clueless about how much more costly it is to build with Hebel. Next time I contact the engineer, I will definitely ask him the difference between what it cost him to use Hebel and what it would have cost to use regular stuff....

As to other properties of Hebel, I don't know. I imagine a Google search might produce some answers, though.
Old 08-27-10, 07:34 PM   #10
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msterieus
...and IF, as I now suspect, I did so around Punta Banda (SQ was just too remote and rugged for me)
And you get the added bonus of having Dennis as your neighbor, seeing how well you two are getting along these days!

Old 08-27-10, 07:55 PM   #11
Msterieus

Quote:
And you get the added bonus of having Dennis as your neighbor, seeing how well you two are getting along these days!

Yes. It's a shame I didn't have a chance to talk to Dennis in person while I was there.
Old 08-27-10, 07:57 PM   #12
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msterieus
Yes. It's a shame I didn't have a chance to talk to Dennis in person while I was there.
Let me know when you are coming back down and I can set up a (semi) blind date for you two...

Old 08-27-10, 08:13 PM   #13
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

You should look at the styrofoam (??) block that I think longlegs used. It might work out well in the PB area
Old 08-27-10, 08:13 PM   #14
Msterieus

ENOUGH, BG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-27-10, 09:30 PM   #15
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

On this site and others we talk a lot about building.
What effect if any do you think yhe new money laundrying laws are going to have on futer sales of real estate here? That is if you are lucky enough to stumbel upon a cash buyer
Old 08-28-10, 02:24 PM   #16
BajaGringo

I don't think the regs cover wire transfers or certified checks...