Baja Photo Uploads / Trip Reports Pics from your road trips, fishing and camping adventures. Baja Dogs are welcome...

Old 02-11-11, 09:10 AM   #181
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Mike and Don-Kay Baja Trek 2010-2011

There are lots of roads that won´t appear on a map, especially if they are crossing private property. We have lots of those around our neck of the peninsula and the locals use them until the owners plow them over and fence them off...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-11-11, 07:38 PM   #182
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
It looks like Mike found an unmarked trail continuing Southward. All of this cannot be preplanned, he must be making his way South by talking with others along the way. Just incredible!
If you look at the photos posted by 'bajacalifornian' (Jeff) on Nomad, when Mike was in Lopez Mateos he got advice on roads (not shown on AAA map or even Almanac) to take south... I think they are using the well marked and worn Baja 1000 course of last November.
Old 02-11-11, 07:39 PM   #183
David K

Default Feb. 11, 2011

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked 12 miles today... and thanks to the SPOT tracker, I could see the route he has been taking. They are camped about 5 miles NE of Medano Amarillo.

Old 02-12-11, 06:40 PM   #184
David K

Default Feb. 12, 2011

Mike and company walked 13 miles today, but only about 4 where productive, in the right direction (south)!

Instead of following the Baja 1000 course (as they have since leaving Lopez Mateos), they turned northeast to San Agustin and a bit beyond, before turning back south. They are camped about 3 miles north of El Refugio tonight.

Perhaps they needed supplies for Don-Kay at San Agustin?

Here is the 2010 Baja 1000 map in the area...

Old 02-12-11, 08:08 PM   #185
BajaGringo

Or another taco stand with a cute waitress...

Old 02-13-11, 04:59 PM   #186
David K

Default Feb. 13, 2011

Mike and crew have walked about 14 miles today and are camped at the south end of the dry lake 'Llanos Hiray' (about 2 miles north of the Puerto Cancun road... some 8 miles from Hwy. 1...)

Old 02-13-11, 07:46 PM   #187
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Nice route off the main path. I'm sure Mike has met some wonderful people and has come across some wonderful Mexican food along the way!!

What an experience!
Old 02-14-11, 10:27 AM   #188
BajaGringo

So is there anybody we know in Santa Rita?

Old 02-14-11, 06:18 PM   #189
David K

Default Feb. 14, 2011

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo have wondered across harsh deserts long enough and have come out to Highway One, and are camped about 4-5 miles north of Santa Rita...

I estimated their miles today at 14... Now, the satellite images and maps:

It is a good thing he has his SPOT tracker turned on as this desert is criss crossed with many roads, almost none are on the Baja Almanac or AAA map he has been using the past two days!
Old 02-15-11, 08:29 PM   #190
David K

Default Feb. 15, 2011

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo have walked south to Santa Rita, then part-way towards Puerto Chale today. They are camped at Rancho El Médano, after walking about 9 miles today.

So far, Mike has walked 144 miles in February and 959 miles total since he began near Tecate on October 1, 2010.

Old 02-15-11, 11:44 PM   #191
Bob H

Dang, what happens after Puerto Chale? Looks like it's out there in the middle of nowhere!
Old 02-16-11, 04:09 PM   #192
David K

They continue south... to 'rob's' place at La Aguja...
Old 02-16-11, 07:10 PM   #193
David K

Default Feb. 16, 2011

Mike and company walked 12 miles today and are camped just over 2 miles south of Puerto Chale, on the water's edge.

Here is the space look at the distance to the next Baja Nomad oasis for Mike, Don-Kay and Solo... La Aguja and the home of 'rob':

MAPS

Old 02-16-11, 10:12 PM   #194
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Damnitalltohell!! I KNEW it!! I'm booked to fly to the states on February 23 for the first time since 2005. Now that Mike & company are getting close enough to La Paz to get a better feel for his travel pace, it looks like he's at least 4-6 days from Rob's in La Aguja....which would put him within reasonable driving distance & non-4WD vehicle requirements just about the same time I'll be boarding my flight!

If the trio really kicks it into high gear & gets to Rob's by Monday, I'd still have a shot at doing a supplies & meet 'n greet run to La Aguja. If not, I guess I'll have to try to get a seat on the left side of the plane to watch for them!

I am soooo bummed!

Maybe Rob could talk Mike into resting up there long enough to give me a second window of opportunity to meet up with them after my return flight on March 7th?

<<Hint! Rob, have a really BIG bottle of whiskey on hand!
Old 02-17-11, 10:39 AM   #195
Bob H

Wow, I am looking at parts of Baja I never knew existed. Thanks to my almanac. What is it like in La Aguija? Where will Mike turn from there to get to La Paz?
Old 02-17-11, 11:30 AM   #196
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Bob H, try taking a "walk" on Google Earth....it's great!! It allows you to zoom into areas to get a better feel for the terrain & there are pics posted in many areas which show even better area detail.
Old 02-18-11, 06:56 PM   #197
David K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
Wow, I am looking at parts of Baja I never knew existed. Thanks to my almanac. What is it like in La Aguija? Where will Mike turn from there to get to La Paz?
There is no plan to walk to la Paz... Just because Hwy. 1 forces you into that city doesn't mean Mike needs to walk there... He will just folow the coast to Cabo... that's the shortest route.

Seriously, 'rob' at La Aguja will drive Mike into La Paz if he needs anything there. As for Rancho La Aguja, it is an old place on maps dating back nearly 100 years... Baja Nomad member 'rob' has been posting from his home there for many years.
Old 02-18-11, 06:58 PM   #198
David K

Default Feb. 18, 2011

Mike and company rested a day (the 17th) and restarted their walk this morning...

Mike and his friends Don-Kay and Solo walked about 10 miles today along the mangroves and are camped at Loma Maria fish camp...

Old 02-19-11, 12:19 PM   #199
BajaGringo

When Mike finishes his journey I will ask him for a copy of his photos to see if he will let me match up his with all the google map shots David has been posting for us. Would be fun to go back and see it from his perspective...

Old 02-19-11, 08:22 PM   #200
David K

Default Feb. 19, 2011

Today Rob, Don-Kay and Solo walked 10 miles along the coast... the second half of today's walk looks like they were right on the beach!

Their camp (or last GPS position) is a mile south of the big arroyo, down stream from Rancho Santa Fe...