General Classified Ads Non-Real Estate / Vehicle - Sell Your Fishing Gear, Weather Gauge or Solar Panels

Old 12-14-11, 03:17 PM   #1
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Default BOOK: 'In the Shadow of the Volcano' by Mike Humfreville

Here is the book's fact sheet from the publisher:

Sunbelt is no longer distributing the book. In fact, I saved as many cases as I could fit in my truck before they shreaded all they had... (I saved about half of them). Mike put so much into his writing, I wanted to preserve his work just a tad longer!

Mary Ann authorized me to receive them from Sunbelt about a year ago when Sunbelt wanted to clear out a warehouse. Since Mike died soon after the book was published, he was not able to perform the promotion of his book and it just wasn't moving in these poor Mexico travel/ bad economy times.

Here is what I saved (each case holds 50), in my garage:

Mary Ann came by and was able to take just over half of them down to Bahia de los Angeles (where they are for sale at the museum)... She said I could do what ever I wished with the rest, including selling or giving... I gave a lot... about 250 copies. I have 4 cases still.

Mary Ann and I, last April at my house when she picked up about 10 cases of the books:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the deal... the books retailed for $17.95.
I will sell the remaining copies I have for $15 each *INCLUDING shipping* to any U.S. address (extra to other countries). PM me for address to send check or email me at info*at*vivabaja.com and put Baja Book in the subject line.

Buy 6 or more copies for $13 each, shipped in U.S.

$10 if you pick them up here in San Diego County at my home.

Mike Humfreville was a great amigo on Baja Nomad and the former Amigos de Baja. I know he would be pleased that I saved so many of his books and have given 800 of the 1000 I saved from the shredder to Mary Ann and a couple of Baja businesses that will use them for promotional activities, etc.

Most of Mike's Internet postings have been saved on Fred Metcalf's site here (fun reading):

Baja With Mike

Here are a few photos of Mike:

July, 2001 Cielito Lindo: Earle (of Amigos de Baja), Paulina, Mike Humfreville, & Eric (of Amigos de Baja).

July 4, 2001 Las Flores

Sept. 2002, Cielito Lindo, Bedman Photo

Feb. 2004, Azufre Wash to Valle Chico, Bob H Photo

Oct. 2005, Bahia de los Angeles

I last saw Mike in May, 2006 at the Pyramid Resort Book Signing, where he was finally able to have his own book to sign!

Thank you...

Last edited by David K; 01-06-12 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 06:30 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I love that book and re-read my copy many times so much that I feel like Mike and Mary Ann are part of my family...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 12-15-11, 04:01 PM   #3
David K

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I love that book and re-read my copy many times so much that I feel like Mike and Mary Ann are part of my family...
Thanks for the nice review Ron!

Mike loved Baja and the Baja people very much... His love showed in his many stories posted over the years. I am glad that Fred Metcalf has preserved them. Mike worked a long time on the book and got assistance and advice from professionals. The book ended up containing primarily his two big L.A. Bay vacations in which he and Mary Ann lived on the bay... First in the 70's, where Camp Gecko is now located, then in the 80's with their boys just north of La Gringa. The photo on the cover is La Gringa point and the "volcano" they were in the shadow of was Smith Island (Isla Coronado).

When Mike and Mary Ann (and son Miguelito) joined us on out Viva Baja tour in 2001, they showed us both hut locations... The gravel beach north of La Gringa is called Las Cuevitas and the big flat rock that was the front porch step of their hut, was still there, 17 years later. At Camp Gecko, Mike asked Doc if he recalls seeing smooth stones (that Mike brought there in the 70's from La Gringa)... and sure enough, Doc did, and always wondered how those stones got so far from their source!
Old 01-06-12, 06:41 PM   #4
David K

Several books mailed out before the holidays and I still have plenty here that need a home (other than my garage)!

Books will be mailed upon receipt of your order...

Happy 2012!
Old 01-06-12, 07:23 PM   #5
Doc Rey

Doc Rey is on a distinguished road

I literally just finished the book minutes ago...I'm visiting Bahia de Los Angeles this summer, come hell or high water. What a great book. Thanks for making me aware of it.
Good fortune getting it out. Rey Lavalle
Old 01-06-12, 09:37 PM   #6
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: BOOK: 'In the Shadow of the Volcano' by Mike Humfreville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Rey
...I'm visiting Bahia de Los Angeles this summer, come hell or high water.
You will, for certain, be treated to both at that time of year in LA Bay.
Old 01-07-12, 01:24 AM   #7
David K

Default Re: BOOK: 'In the Shadow of the Volcano' by Mike Humfreville

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
You will, for certain, be treated to both at that time of year in LA Bay.
If you enjoy warm weather, summer is great... The bay is big and air moves differently in different areas. I have been there many times in June and July and was great (90ºs)... But, if anything close to 100º is too much for you, then avoid Aug. and Sept.

The Humfreville's spent all summer there the two different years' adventures the book covers... Mary Ann continues to live there.
Old 01-07-12, 01:51 PM   #8
Doc Rey

Default Re: Give Baja for Christmas! Gift book 'In the Shadow of the Volcano' by Mike Humfreville

Rancho Cucamonga can get pretty hot during the summer also ( 90-100's). Only we usually have an unhealthy dose of smog to boot & almost no breeze. Drier than Baja however.
On another subject...not to sound nosy or morbid, what became of Michael after his passing? Did he remain in Baja?
Old 01-08-12, 10:39 PM   #9
David K

Default Re: Give Baja for Christmas! Gift book 'In the Shadow of the Volcano' by Mike Humfreville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Rey
Rancho Cucamonga can get pretty hot during the summer also ( 90-100's). Only we usually have an unhealthy dose of smog to boot & almost no breeze. Drier than Baja however.
On another subject...not to sound nosy or morbid, what became of Michael after his passing? Did he remain in Baja?
Yes, he has a beautiful view of the islands in Bahia de los Angeles.
Old 01-08-12, 11:20 PM   #10
Doc Rey

Smile Re: Give Baja for Christmas! Gift book 'In the Shadow of the Volcano' by Mike Humfreville

That sounds super cool.
Old 09-11-12, 09:06 AM   #11
David K

Still have plenty of Mike's books!
Old 09-13-12, 06:56 PM   #12
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

I bought a copy back in December, when I really needed it!
I appreciated the way they went for it, even though they really had no idea what to expect that first summer.
A good lesson for those of us who over plan and prepare to the extent that we never get out of the driveway in our ubber expedition vehicle.
Old 09-14-12, 12:05 PM   #13
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reminder. Probably a good time to pull out my copy for another read. In case you don't have the book it is one I highly recommend to anybody even thinking of living down here south of Ensenada...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 09-15-12, 07:37 PM   #14
David K

Thanks for the nice words!