General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 02-27-11, 10:23 AM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default So how much wind / rain did you get?

The last couple of days have been pretty weather extreme here in our neck of the woods. The rain started in yesterday a little before noon and when I went to bed my Davis monitor said we had received almost an inch of rain. Throughout the night rain continued to fall off and on and this morning I see we gained another quarter of an inch, which made this a great event for our local farmers.

It was also a very cold storm in this part of the peninsula. San Quintin saw temps drop down to near freezing and the temperature gauge out here on the beach dipped down to as low as 41 °F. That is a nice benefit of having the volcanoes behind us as they help to create a mini temperature inversion layer, using the warmer ocean water to help create a warmer air mass layer around our little stretch of playa,

A lot of wind brought in this storm with sustained wind speeds at 15 to 25 knots and gusts of 35 to 40 knots. The good news for us is that when the solar power production went down with the cloud cover, the wind turbines keep the batteries fully charged. Checking them at 5:30 this morning they were running at 27.1 with no sun yet in sight.

More wind this morning blew the storm out of here and we now have a beautiful sunny morning. And my batteries went to float before 9:00...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-27-11, 04:12 PM   #2
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: So how much wind / rain did you get?

Say what????? That's what you get for hogging that beach-front land, you get a little rain & your batteries go floating off!

Old 02-27-11, 05:16 PM   #3
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

BG, got that stove going ......

Hows it taking care of your needs.... always like a wood stove, had a free standing Fisher air tight ... heat the entire place, plus could and did cook on it surface when the power went out... some thing it looks like you don't have to worry about.... congratulations... pretty cool

When you finish to next one, let me have first bid..
Old 02-27-11, 05:16 PM   #4
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Heard that the overnight low at Long Beach Airport was 35. A record. Lotsa snow on the San Gabriels.
Old 02-27-11, 08:17 PM   #5
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

At Punta Pequeña it rained for about 90 seconds this morning. Almost got the patio completely damp. Been very windy for several days. Average 25, gusts to around 33. One day 39. Hasn't rained for so long, all the underbrush is dying off, leaving nothing but dust...and there's lots of it blowing around. Not very nice. Nights have been in the low 40's and days barely breaking 60. Looks like the spring winds may have started early this year. Some rain would really be nice.

What's really a bummer is that it's been so choppy, it's been very difficult to spot the whales unless they're right off the beach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4364.jpg

Views:	64

Size:	458.9 KB

ID:	2470  
Old 02-27-11, 09:11 PM   #6
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Clear skies and sunshine here in La Paz. It has been breezy, cooling off at night to the mid to upper 40s. Daytime highs in the 70s to low 80s.
Old 02-28-11, 09:02 AM   #7
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWooo
At Punta Pequeña it rained for about 90 seconds this morning. Almost got the patio completely damp. Been very windy for several days. Average 25, gusts to around 33. One day 39. Hasn't rained for so long, all the underbrush is dying off, leaving nothing but dust...and there's lots of it blowing around. Not very nice. Nights have been in the low 40's and days barely breaking 60. Looks like the spring winds may have started early this year. Some rain would really be nice.

What's really a bummer is that it's been so choppy, it's been very difficult to spot the whales unless they're right off the beach.
Looking at the photo I just can´t believe how much dust you get Wooo. Seems like the dirt pushed up right next to the beach in your area. I suppose we are very lucky in that regard as when it is very windy and San Quintin converts to San Polvin, the dust seems to stay mainly on the east side of the volcanoes.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-28-11, 09:25 AM   #8
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Typical spring; there and Abreojos.

How was the surf in the middle of that? Looks like there was some swell out front.

I've seen some summer points do okay on low tide + walled-up west swell...
Old 02-28-11, 01:58 PM   #9
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
Typical spring; there and Abreojos.

How was the surf in the middle of that? Looks like there was some swell out front.

I've seen some summer points do okay on low tide + walled-up west swell...
In the picture it's less than waist high with zero shape. I think the telephoto lens made it look bigger than it was. Unfortunately there hasn't been any decent surf since late October. I can't figure out why, but those west swells never seem to make it in here. During a sizable west swell we can see waves around the corner (where it's not rideable), but they don't wrap around the point.

BG: Blowing dust is the big downside about where we live. Gotta have good windows and doors that seal well when shut. At least we don't have it as bad as in town. When the wind starts to approach 30mph, there are days when the town just about disappears from my view.