Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 09-06-11, 11:27 AM   #1
temma

temma is on a distinguished road

Confused intro

I'm a british american living in the UK (long story) married to a mexican. I'm about 4 years away from retirement and plan to move to Baja. I have experienced the lifestyle of Baja Norte having lived there for a couple of years prior to moving back to the UK from Newport beach. All I can say to those considering the move SOB is that your happiness in moving to this part of the world is entirely dependent on your willingness to adapt, accept and embrace the culture. Anyway since I seem to be the new kid on the block here I hope to ask for a little help every now and again in my build up to a new adventure.
Old 09-06-11, 01:04 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: intro

Hey Temma - welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by temma
I'm a british american living in the UK (long story) married to a mexican. I'm about 4 years away from retirement and plan to move to Baja. I have experienced the lifestyle of Baja Norte having lived there for a couple of years prior to moving back to the UK from Newport beach. All I can say to those considering the move SOB is that your happiness in moving to this part of the world is entirely dependent on your willingness to adapt, accept and embrace the culture. Anyway since I seem to be the new kid on the block here I hope to ask for a little help every now and again in my build up to a new adventure.
I totally agree with your view on "adapting / accepting / embracing" - and my life is much richer for it....

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 09-06-11, 01:21 PM   #3
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I totally agree with your view on "adapting / accepting / embracing" - and my life is much richer for it....

It' not the only way to survive down here but it's the only way to survive and be Happy
Old 09-06-11, 01:42 PM   #4
bob r

bob r is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
It' not the only way to survive down here but it's the only way to survive and be Happy
Hola, and good luck on your adaptation, Pacifico helps!
Old 09-06-11, 02:01 PM   #5
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Your husband was a Mexican in Newport Beach? Did he get to keep his leaf-blower?
I was raised in Newport and fully understand the ways of things there.
Old 09-07-11, 02:29 AM   #6
temma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Your husband was a Mexican in Newport Beach? Did he get to keep his leaf-blower?
I was raised in Newport and fully understand the ways of things there.
A little confusion here probably created by my inadequate literary skills - I'm the husband and my wife was born in Acapulco. We lived in Newport Beach for 10 years but had to move back to the UK to pay off the shortfall in my UK state pension. Anyway I will be vacationing in Rosarito in July '12 and looking at properties in that area. Being so far away from the action (no pun intended) I'd be grateful for any viewpoints you may have on the impact that the US economy and the violence SOB has had or is having on life in Baja Norte.
I'm so glad I found this forum as it's hard to keep abreast of news/events when you're so far away from it.
Old 09-07-11, 10:58 AM   #7
BajaGringo

Just curious as to why you are just looking at Rosarito? There are lots of nice places there but to better balance lifestyle, security and cost of living/housing I like it further south from the border...

Old 09-07-11, 12:00 PM   #8
temma

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob r
Hola, and good luck on your adaptation, Pacifico helps!
I agree but since I cannot get that brand here maybe you could mail me a couple of packs!
Old 09-07-11, 12:10 PM   #9
temma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Just curious as to why you are just looking at Rosarito? There are lots of nice places there but to better balance lifestyle, security and cost of living/housing I like it further south from the border...
I agree it's a balancing act and I am trying to get that balance right mostly in terms of distance from the border for my daughter visiting me SOB and me visiting her NOB. I have not excluded Ensenada nor any points in between but I have to start somewhere and I am determined to buy property (or at least get the process going) when I visit the area next year. I have to act quickly because I feel that house values will start to rise in the not too distant future (they have already bottomed out here) and the distance between the UK and Baja preclude me making regular trips. However I am open to suggestion from wiser heads
Old 09-07-11, 01:34 PM   #10
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

BajaGringo is correct in that the farther you head South from the border, overall safety will be greater.

Since you are new here, and welcome, I will share with you that this forum has hosted some spirited differences of opinion as to just what the right answer is for that security, cost lifestyle thing. It's a personal choice balance.

Although BajaGringo has truly found his Valhalla in the San Quintin area, if proximity to the border for the conenience of family visits is major to you, I would strongly suggest you give some real attention to Ensenada.
Old 09-07-11, 02:10 PM   #11
BajaGringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
Although BajaGringo has truly found his Valhalla in the San Quintin area, if proximity to the border for the conenience of family visits is major to you, I would strongly suggest you give some real attention to Ensenada.
Ensenada is where I would start looking - it's less than an hour past Rosarito but a world apart as far as security IMHO.

I really don't see the RE values making a big move here anytime soon and would strongly recommend you rent to see how it works for you before laying out any serious cash to buy.

We started out in Rosarito, thinking that was where we wanted to be but after a few years here we realized that down here in San Quintin was a much better fit. Renting will give you that same freedom and a lot more options than locking yourself into a property that you may not be able to easily sell.

Just my two cents...

Old 09-07-11, 04:33 PM   #12
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

We settled in Ensenada in 2006. About 75/90 minutes to the border. We use the Otay border crossing and have the SENTRI program, also have used the Ready Lane so crossing the border northbound is not a problem.

A world of difference, in my opinion, between living in Ensenada and Rosarito - have done both.

Welcome to the board!!!!
Old 09-07-11, 05:32 PM   #13
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard.... and some great info ... it all helps...
Old 09-16-11, 04:33 AM   #14
temma

Well.....thanks to all who took part in my discussion about moving to Rosarito/Ensenada. The overwhelming response was in favor of Ensenada and after a lot of digging around and a little research I realize that Ensenada is the sensible solution. A little further from the border but all in all I think it's the right choice. My wife and I spent our honeymoon there and since we were a little preoccupied we did not really get to do much sightseeing. Anyone have any preferences for any particular part of Ensenada? Once again thanks to all for their input!
Old 09-16-11, 08:37 AM   #15
Tacho

Tacho is on a distinguished road

I'd rent for a while to find out what an area's really like.

Then proceed if you're sure you like it.
Old 09-16-11, 10:35 AM   #16
Mula

Mula is on a distinguished road

We agree with the rent first, travel around Baja and then look into purchasing.
Old 09-16-11, 12:52 PM   #17
DENNIS

Quote:
Anyone have any preferences for any particular part of Ensenada?
That's a question that should be given a whole lot of attention. Live among your own, culturally and financially. There are many areas that will not fit that bill and you will regret your audacious experiment in adventure if you don't live in a place where you fit into.
That's all I'm gonna say for now.
Old 09-19-11, 12:27 PM   #18
temma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
That's a question that should be given a whole lot of attention. Live among your own, culturally and financially. There are many areas that will not fit that bill and you will regret your audacious experiment in adventure if you don't live in a place where you fit into.
That's all I'm gonna say for now.
Striking that balance between 'fitting in' and being flexible/adaptable is a difficult question that I think is different for everyone. I think for us it would be a blend of expats surrounded by Mexican influences. I certainly agree with those that suggested renting first - where in Ensenada would you suggest I start looking first?
Old 09-19-11, 12:38 PM   #19
temma

Quote:
Striking that balance between 'fitting in' and being flexible/adaptable is a difficult question that I think is different for everyone. I think for us it would be a blend of expats surrounded by Mexican influences. I certainly agree with those that suggested renting first - where in Ensenada would you suggest I start looking first?
Close to peace and quiet but not too far from supermarkets and shopping malls. I know its hard to define but I have to start somewhere.
Old 09-19-11, 12:51 PM   #20
DENNIS

Punta banda, twenty miles south of Centro Ensenada, has a lot of rentals as well as an expat lifestyle. Rural, on the water, quiet, and close enough to shopping.
I wouldn't know where to send you in Centro although I lived in town for years, but if anyone mentions a beachcamp called Todos Santos, pick up your beer and run like hell.

Here's the PB Newsletter to get you started:

puntabandanewsletter : PUNTA BANDA COMMUNITY BULLETIN BOARD