Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 03-02-12, 11:37 AM   #1
Amigo Arizona

Amigo Arizona is on a distinguished road

Default Moved furniture to Ensenada

Hi all
Moved a lot of my furniture to Ensenada Monday. Used a 24 foot flatbed trailer with rails and the bed of the pickup. Also had furniture in the back of another pickup. Hit the border crossing at San Luis Rio Colorado at 8:30. Pulled into the declare line in my truck with furniture in the back. Had a grandfaters clock, nice book shelf, TV entertainment center and a desk. The inspector came out and looked in the truck and said you will have to pay a tax on the grandfathers clock. My friend was behind me in the other truck with the 24 foot hauler loaded with furniture. The inspector asked if the other load was mine too. I said yes. He told me to go inside and see the lady at the desk. She said that will be 550 pesos. I thought that was just for the one truck I was in. She said to go now. The ispector said to go. I then said with both trucks. He said yes. Wow I probably had $4,000 worth of stuff and only had to pay 550 pesos. All that worry for weeks. I was in and out in 10 minutes. I was worried about unloading all that heavy furniture. He never even asked for the list. Hope my next load will be that easy.
Old 03-02-12, 11:58 AM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Moved furniture to Ensenada

Good for you. There's no set value on used furniture. Had it been new, it probably would have hurt a little bit.

Ya never know what's going to happen in the "Hell Zone."
Old 03-03-12, 04:13 PM   #3
edinnopolo

edinnopolo is on a distinguished road

Let's hope the following trips go just as easy. We brought in many truck and U Haul loads and never had much of a problem. However, that was 20 years ago, and some.
Old 03-03-12, 05:48 PM   #4
Amigo Arizona

Amigo Arizona is on a distinguished road

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by edinnopolo
Let's hope the following trips go just as easy. We brought in many truck and U Haul loads and never had much of a problem. However, that was 20 years ago, and some.

U Haul let you take their vehicle into Mexico?
Old 03-04-12, 06:56 AM   #5
BigWooo

BigWooo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo Arizona
:

U Haul let you take their vehicle into Mexico?
They don't...but when we were importing our stuff, we saw several U-haul trailers being towed with stuff across the border. I doubt anyone checks.
Old 03-12-12, 07:30 PM   #6
jrethorst

jrethorst is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWooo
They don't...but when we were importing our stuff, we saw several U-haul trailers being towed with stuff across the border. I doubt anyone checks.
U-Haul trucks as well as trailers? I'd think they'd care more about a truck. I wonder whether they don't have GPS devices in their trucks in any case.
Old 03-13-12, 08:32 AM   #7
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Lots of people bring UHaul trucks down. Somebody told me that you just tell them and they add insurance for Mexico. Anybody else know???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-13-12, 09:45 AM   #8
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Lots of people bring UHaul trucks down. Somebody told me that you just tell them and they add insurance for Mexico. Anybody else know???

Dont Know over the years I have seen some on the road down here and while waiting to cross North I have seen them turn some around at the border. Probably like everything else it's the luck of the draw.
Old 03-13-12, 10:59 AM   #9
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
Dont Know over the years I have seen some on the road down here and while waiting to cross North I have seen them turn some around at the border. Probably like everything else it's the luck of the draw.
Probably turned around for what was in them. Mexico couldn't care less what happens to U-Haul vehicles. It's not their job to take care of the inventory.

I've seen bobtail trucks parked in fields til they rust away. Seen trailers chained to power poles til someone stole them.

U-Haul has good insurance otherwise they wouldn't be in business right next to the border.