Driving in Baja Do We Need a Permit? / Traffic Laws / Crooked Cops

Old 10-30-12, 12:51 PM   #1
ScottS

ScottS is on a distinguished road

Default Rental Car - Mandatory insurance questions?

Hi,

My wife and I are looking to rent a car upon our arrival to SJD (Los Cabos International Airport) for our 7 day stay.

I can find lots of deals online for $10-$12 (US). I know this does
NOT include the Mandatory Mexican Insurance. None of the websites tell me what the cost of the mandatory Mexican insurance is,does any one of them explain what it covers.

I have also called the major US car rental agencies and inquired about international reservations (Mexico) and received the run around. None had any information on file and they never deviated from their scripts.

I do understand that I will have to pay for the insurance, but I just want to be able to plan/budget as well as avoid paying unnecessary insurance costs.

Can anyone provide me with the daily cost and coverage details of car rental insurance in Baja?

Thanks

Scott
Old 10-30-12, 06:29 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Rental Car - Mandatory insurance questions?

If they base it on the current Baja insurance rates, I wouldn't be too concerned. Based on semi-annual and annual rates I have seen down here lately it is comparable to California.

If money is tight than you might have picked a more economical vacation spot - Los Cabos will hit your pocketbook much harder at the bar and restaurants...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 10-30-12, 07:03 PM   #3
arturo

arturo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Rental Car - Mandatory insurance questions?

The big names in car rental are all franchises. I haven't found any cross-border cooperation with any of them.

Liability insurance is the important one because that shows you can respond for the damage in the event the judge finds you at fault in an accident. A lot of policies offer a legal rider for a dollar or two that gives you an attorney around the clock.

In case of an accident, the law assumes that both parties wait for the transit police to show up to collect evidence and to bring everyone before the judge. Having insurance means you're good for the damage and having an attorney on the other end of the phone means they should let you go as quickly as possible.

In real life, the party who is more at fault tends to flee the scene. That would obviate your potential liability but raise the question of third-party damage.

It's been ages since I've purchased "mandatory" insurance (here in Tijuana we don't believe in following any rules), but I'd expect you might pay around five to seven dollars per day.

If the rental agent tries to sell you comprehensive or third-party coverage on top of liability, ask them to explain why. They'll probably just be up-selling you.