Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 11-14-12, 09:45 AM   #1
ray6

ray6 is on a distinguished road

Default Need help in Rosarito

Hola-
My name is Ray Raffa and I am a filmmaker. We are presently working on a documentary entitled "How to live in Mexico on social security".

This will be shot in Rosarito in late December or early January.

We are in need of a local to serve as an associate producer which is just a fancy name for someone that does the legwork of setting up shoots, interviews, etc.

The project is targeted for US and Canadian citizens 50+ who are thinking of retiring abroad. The focus is on what questions the audience might have with regard to retiring to Mexico.

I will be scouting locations and potential partners right after Thanksgiving and could use some local help. We will have a full crew for the shoot, but need a local to co-ordinate before and during the shoot. The project is low budget, but there is compensation.

If you are interested, or know of someone that may be interested, please contact me directly at

ray.raffa@att.net

or check out the project outline at:

Miracle Productions (San Jose, CA) - Meetup

Prior film experience is not nesessary. Main tasks will be:
Set up interviews with expats, real estate agent, possibly individuals in health care, banking, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Ray Raffa
Producer
Miracle Productions
Old 11-14-12, 10:39 AM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Need help in Rosarito

Hello Ray, and Welcome to TalkBaja.

Your best partner will be the Baja Image Committee which is headed by the former Mayor of Rosarito Beach- Hugo Torres. They will blow all the smoke you need wherever you need it.

COMMITTEE COMPRISING IMAGE AND PERCEPTION OF BAJA CALIFORNIA / News / Discover Baja California

I think your task is daunting given the (very) new Visa income requirements. They will likely disqualify most people from retiring in Mexico on Social Security income alone. To legally retire in Mexico with a visa, they will need to prove a monthly income stream of $1,890 USD and/or $94,500 USD in investments/deposits. That number is for a single person, the requirement is higher for a couple.

There is another thread here that is seeking to understand what these new regulations really mean. Yes, they went into effect already, and no- we still don't know really what they mean or how they will be applied.

New INM regs - TalkBaja.com - Baja Mexico Travel, Living and Retirement

Last edited by Woooosh; 11-14-12 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-15-12, 10:02 AM   #3
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Why limit yourself to Rosarito?????

Plenty of retired Americans and Canadians in Ensenada. Come on down and visit.
Old 11-15-12, 10:43 AM   #4
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

I was wondering about that attachment to Rosarito too. The link Ray added to his post takes you to a website where amateur film makers support each other to create films of general interest. Perhaps Ray has personal knowledge of Rosarito and just started his project there.

There is also an on-line resource Ray can use to gather info from "experts" on almost any topic. It's called HARO (Help A Reporter Out). They float dozens of topics every day and ask people to supply info for the topic they are writing or filming. He might try that too.

I do think he will need to change the premise of the story about living in Mexico cheaply on Social Security income alone. First, in my experience living in Mexico is not always cheaper than living in the USA unless you are willing to live like a Mexican- diet and all. Second, Mexico doesn't seem to want retirees here on social security alone or they would not have upped the minimum income and investment requirements. I seriously don't think Mexico thought that part through.

HARO link where "everyone's an expert on something" . You register your e-mail and the requests for your vast knowledge and expertise will fill your in-box. ;) : http://www.helpareporter.com/
Old 11-16-12, 10:05 PM   #5
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

New immigrants are going to have a hell of a time.
I just got Visas for my family finished today at the San Diego Mexican consulate.
We started on them Tuesday and it took 5 trips for more and more requested financial docs that day alone.
We finished with a 3 hour commitment today with stamped passports in hand indicating we have Visas for residencia permanente!
Put it this way.... without the monthly income from my CalPERS and the amount of money in my retirement account we would have had some serious difficulties and would have been limited to FMMs permanently until we could have used the points system with our educations and skillsets.

re: "used the points system with our educations and skill sets"... I dunno about this point system. If you are retired and not planning to work in Mexico- why does your skill set matter?

Q: If all Visas are processed in Mexico City, does that mean the laws of Mexico City (DF) now apply? Do states have different immigration policies?

Last edited by Woooosh; 11-17-12 at 07:51 PM.