Calendar of Events What's Happening in Baja / Dates & Locations

Old 01-09-13, 12:37 AM   #1
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Default FREE HISTORIC RE-ENACTMENT CALIFORNIA EVENT SUNDAY Jan. 13, in L.A.

What separated Alta California from Mexico's Baja California...

Full Website: Welcome To The Campo De Cahuenga Homepage

The Campo is a place of celebrations. Each January, for more than half a century the events of 1847 are celebrated anew. In a reenactment of the signing of a document by representatives of Mexico and the United States that became known as the Treaty of Cahuenga, signatures of General Andres Pico and Lt. Col. John C. Fremont ended hostilities in the state, creating Peace with Honor. In two years, without first becoming a U.S. territory, California was fast-tracked into the Union. Manifest Destiny was realized. We were one nation from sea to shining sea. All Californians became one people-Americans. To this day, Campo de Cahuenga is a place for celebrating our multi-cultural contributions.

An adobe-like museum building dedicated by Los Angeles in 1951 serves the Campo today. Outside, a display of the latest excavation of the original adobe is on view, one that extends under busy Lankershim Boulevard. All around are the footprints of history. Native Tongva peoples knew this site at the strategic ford of the Los Angeles River. The first Californios walked here. Missionaries, rancheros, gold seekers, pioneers crossed paths here. The Butterfield Stagecoach once stopped at the Campo. A Civil War encampment was erected here. By stepping into Campo de Cahuenga today, on its grounds or through our website, visitors become the newest chapter in the hallowed Campo legacy.

Welcome to the Campo de Cahuenga. Bienvenidos a la Campo de Cahuenga. Managed by the Campo de Cahuenga Historical Memorial Association under the auspices of the Los Angeles Department of Parks and Recreation for future generations.

Calendar of Events

Annual Reenactment of the Signing of the Articles of Capitulation

Sunday, January 13, 2013
1 p.m - 2:30 p.m.
Free event; everyone welcome.

Campo de Cahuenga
3919 Lankershim Blvd.
North Hollywood 91601

Celebrate the 166th anniversary of the historic signing.

Time-travel back to 1847 for this momentous Living History event. Witness the proceedings "in the moment" in the surroundings of the very place where General Andres Pico and Lt. Colonel John C. Fremont placed their signatures on the document ending hostilities and bringing peace with honor between the American forces and Californios under Mexican Rule. Imagine the future, as Manifest Destiny was realized, California quickly gained statehood and all local peoples united as fellow Americans because of this momentous signing. On this spot, Butterfield Stagecoaches would soon stop, Civil War soldiers would later encamp and subsequent generations would have a front row seat for a burgeoning entertainment industry.

Our Re-enactment Supporters:

Campo de Cahuenga Historical Memorial Assoc.; City of Los Angeles Dept. of Recreation and Parks, North Hollywood Recreation Center; Universal City - North Hollywood Chamber of Commerce; Toluca Lake Chamber of Commerce; City of Los Angeles; Native Sons of the Golden West; Native Daughters of the Golden West; Daughters of the American Revolution Hollywood Chapter; Valley College Historical Museum; San Fernando Valley Historical Society; San Fernando Valley Garden Clubs; Huntington Westerners; Legal Advisor Mike Murphy; North Hollywood Kiwanis Club; Weddington Investment Properties LLC; Universal Studios Hollywood; No Ho; Miles Knudsen Consulting; Van Nuys Glass; Leonis Adobe; Carol Burle; Owensmouth Historical Society; Aztec Club of 1847; Studio City Residents Assoc.

================================================
THE HISTORIC EVENT:

- Failing in an attempt to purchase the Southwest from Mexico, The United States declared war on Mexico on May 13, 1846 following the outbreak of hostilities over the disputed Mexico-Texas border.

- In July and August, the U.S. Navy occupied all California ports without facing organized Mexican resistance. However, American misrule in Los Angeles led to a local Californio rebellion and the armed expulsion of US occupiers from that city.

- The rebellion spread through most of Southern California and climaxed in early December with the defeat of Gen. Kearney's American forces by Californio vaqueros (under the leadership of Andres Pico) at the Battle of San Pasqual.

- Determined to suppress the rebellion, American commanders Stockton and Kearney prepared to recapture Los Angeles. They ordered American Forces under John C. Fremont to march south from Monterey, while another American force under their joint command marched north from San Diego.

- Realizing Californio forces were heavily outmanned and outgunned, Andres Pico approached Fremont with honorable terms under which the Californios would surrender.

- Fremont accepted Pico's terms in principle and the two sides agreed to meet at Campo de Cahuenga on January 13, 1847 to sign the Articles of Capitulation, known as "Capitulation of Cahuenga." The generous terms of the agreement ended hostilities in California.

- After the American conquest of Mexico City, the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ended the war and ceded California and the American Southwest to the United States.
================================================== ==

Our site is located at:

Campo de Cahuenga
3919 Lankershim Blvd.
Studio City/North Hollywood, CA 91604
Google Maps Link

Accessible by public transportation. Exit Universal City stop on Metro Red Line and enjoy the Metro's tiled art exhibit of the Campo de Cahuenga story while you are there.

(We are directly across from Universal Studios entrance adjacent to the MTA parking lot.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This act separated Alta California from Mexican control and thus Baja California remained in Mexico.

Max and I will be there selling/ signing our new Missions books ( http://oldmissions.com ) as well as old California Camino Real collector bells and Mike Humfreville's books. 1:00-2:30 pm FREE ADMISSION
Old 01-09-13, 08:42 AM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: FREE HISTORIC RE-ENACTMENT CALIFORNIA EVENT SUNDAY Jan. 13, in L.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
- Failing in an attempt to purchase the Southwest from Mexico, The United States declared war on Mexico on May 13, 1846
You have to admit that wasn't exactly a shining moment in our history.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 01-09-13, 06:01 PM   #3
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
You have to admit that wasn't exactly a shining moment in our history.

"After the American conquest of Mexico City, the 1848 Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo ended the war and ceded California and the American Southwest to the United States." They took a siesta.
Old 01-09-13, 07:31 PM   #4
BajaGringo

The US was counting on Mexico doing just that. And Mexico didn't disappoint (much)...

Old 01-09-13, 08:33 PM   #5
David K

Aren't you glad we gave them back the peninsula? I know I am... for selfish reasons, as I don't like development... dirt roads, ranchos and fish camps are fine by me...

To the dismay of the locals in La Paz, we lowered the stars and stripes and their dreams of an American future were dashed.

I believe some asked for asylum in Alta California, fearing reprisals from the few who were against the American occupation of Lower California.
Old 01-11-13, 08:22 PM   #6
David K

This Sunday!
Old 01-13-13, 08:44 AM   #7
David K

Leaving Oceanside in a couple of hours... I will post photos after I return if anything seems interesting to Baja people!
Old 01-14-13, 09:27 AM   #8
David K

Default PHOTOS OF HISTORIC RE-ENACTMENT CALIFORNIA EVENT SUNDAY Jan. 13, in L.A.

Pico and Fremont exchange...

Canon was fired twice and every car alarm in the several blocks went off! The crowd was too big for me to get a photo of it being shot.

Mexican uniform...

American uniform...

Max and the colonel...

Inside the museum...

General Andres Pico

Lieutenant Colonel John C. Fremont

Campo de Cahuenga adobe

One of two glass cases containing the bells on loan from Max Kurillo, my co-author

Our table

It was a beautiful day, a bit cold, but sunny. We sold several books some bells and some Baja Calendars, too. ;D
Old 01-14-13, 11:04 AM   #9
BajaGringo

Very cool!

Old 01-14-13, 12:50 PM   #10
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

I'm from CT where they do a lot of this stuff- but with revolutionary war themes. Always good to keep history alive in peoples minds.
Old 01-14-13, 04:22 PM   #11
David K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
I'm from CT where they do a lot of this stuff- but with revolutionary war themes. Always good to keep history alive in peoples minds.
Right you are, and the Mexican-American War of 1846-1848 really increased the size of the United States (and reduced the size of Mexico)!

What is not widely known was the U.S. had occupied Baja California during the war, and it was a last minute change to give Baja back to Mexico. Mexican loyalists had repelled Americans at San Jose del Cabo and Mulege, but we established a presence and the occupation of La Paz until the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo returned the peninsula to Mexico.