Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 02-22-13, 01:43 PM   #1
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Rosarito's Main Street Project, now a legal mess too.

"They Paved Paradise and Put Up a Parking Lot..."

Last year a project began to beautify the main street through Rosarito, Benito Juarez Blvd. Special attention was supposed to have been paid to the details of pavers and colored stones in the tourist area to make that area stand out. It was suppose to have been completed last December.

This video on a Rosarito website says the person in charge, Gustavo Torres (son of former mayor Hugo Torres Chabert) will likley be sued for failing to mange the project unless it is finished in a week. The claims are that he hired a cheaper contractor who did not follow the plan and now they are left with an unfurnished, unattractive mess, still many months from completion that is impacting all the businesses in the area.

As I posted on another thread, this project was put ahead of building the Rosarito Tourist Malecon (oceanfront boardwalk). Now the street is not being done as planned, the Malecon is still just a dream and the construction money is gone. Most every city has a "master plan" they follow- tourist destination resorts have their future mapped out for years, sadly Rosarito is still stuck on stupid.

What is it about Rosarito that makes them think paving streets is progress? They repaved the Blvd Popotla near the Baja Fox Studios (also named "The Artesans Blvd") and instead of making it better for tourists to drive along ans shop it has turned into a 60mph freeway alternative to the toll road. They paved the Puerto Nuevo Lobster Village and took away the charm. Now they pave the main street and think that wil help tourism.

Perhaps Rosarito should have considered tourists poking along a dusty street alongside people riding horses to buy a piece of hand-made rustic furniture or get a local Lobster dinner was part of the Baja charm. JMHO.

Rosarito en la Noticia: Remodelación del Blvd. Benito Juárez de Rosarito ..."Sin Proyecto"

For Wesson: "They Paved Paradise and Put Up a Parking Lot..."

Last edited by Woooosh; 02-22-13 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-25-13, 09:26 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Rosarito's Main Street Project, now a legal mess too.

I'm amazed that other business owners in Rosarito don't organize together and raise hell...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-25-13, 09:42 PM   #3
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I'm amazed that other business owners in Rosarito don't organize together and raise hell...
I believe they are filing a lawsuit.
Old 02-25-13, 09:44 PM   #4
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
I believe they are filing a lawsuit against Gustavo Torres. In the USA can you file a lawsuit against a city official if you don't like their work? Seems strange to me.