Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 05-10-13, 03:00 PM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Default National Gendarmerie to be presented in September

05/10/13 – The long-awaited Mexican National Gendarmerie will be ready and operating by September 2013,*reported the National Commission of Public Security (Comisión Nacional de Seguridad, CNS) of the Ministry of […]

More...
Old 05-10-13, 05:48 PM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: National Gendarmerie to be presented in September

"... an intermediate force between the military and the police"

"will start with roughly 10,000 members, 85% of which come from the Ministry of Defense (Secretaría de la Defensa Nacional, SEDENA) and the remaining 15% from the Ministry of the Navy (Secretaría de Marina, SEMAR). By the end of the Peña Nieto administration (2012-2018), it is expected to grow to 50,000 units."

I'd like to see what this looks like in action. A clean security force that is welcomed and trusted by the public- or just different men the trucks?
Old 05-10-13, 06:52 PM   #3
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Their success will depend entirely on their resistance to corruption. It would be fun to know how much these saviors will be paid.
I'm having good thoughts about this...........Serenity Now.

Serenity now. - YouTube
Old 05-15-13, 04:31 AM   #4
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I like the idea but like Dennis says the key will be the issue of corruption. I will be keeping my fingers crossed....

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-18-13, 04:25 PM   #5
sargentodiaz

sargentodiaz is on a distinguished road

Cool Re: National Gendarmerie to be presented in September

I've been married for more than 23 years now and pay attention to what's going on in Mexico. It appears that Nieto is certainly sticking to his campaign promises. Good for him and I think this is a great idea.
Old 05-19-13, 12:26 PM   #6
Woooosh

None too soon. The local Police are out of control: "Two Bodyguards of Rosarito Police Chief Beat Up Law Student"

Two bodyguards of Rosaritos police chief beat up law student | San Diego Reader
Old 05-19-13, 02:25 PM   #7
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

"...they threw him...into a room...called the "Karaoke,"..."
Quote:
We provide the beats; you sing
Old 05-21-13, 03:42 PM   #8
bwall

bwall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz
I've been married for more than 23 years now and pay attention to what's going on in Mexico. It appears that Nieto is certainly sticking to his campaign promises. Good for him and I think this is a great idea.
From what I've heard in conversations with Mexicans they seem to indicate the same thing. This is very confusing and goes against everything I've heard about politicians, especially Mexican politicians. I hope that he can make real reform and not just reforms on paper.
Old 05-21-13, 03:52 PM   #9
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall
From what I've heard in conversations with Mexicans they seem to indicate the same thing. This is very confusing and goes against everything I've heard about politicians, especially Mexican politicians. I hope that he can make real reform and not just reforms on paper.
Peña Nieto is off to a very good start. Friends here in government all tell me that when they go to Mexico City to the oficina de la presidencia or with the secretario de gobernacion, it's all business.

A definite change from past administrations, both PAN and PRI - where the same friends told me they used to spend more time discussing where they would meet later for dinner/drinks than talking business.

I hope this administration can keep it up...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-21-13, 09:41 PM   #10
bwall

bwall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Peña Nieto is off to a very good start. Friends here in government all tell me that when they go to Mexico City to the oficina de la presidencia or with the secretario de gobernacion, it's all business.

A definite change from past administrations, both PAN and PRI - where the same friends told me they used to spend more time discussing where they would meet later for dinner/drinks than talking business.

I have to confess that I assumed that Pena Nieto was a pretty boy/front man for the machine (bad memories of "W" here, I admit) and the PRI would soon be back to business as usual.

Perhaps 12 years wandering in the wildnerness focused the attention of the PRI on governing?
Old 05-21-13, 10:54 PM   #11
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo

I'm not so sure. He is putting Mexico's Economic and Tourism agendas ahead of the narco-crime problem. In a policy shift from Calderon he announced stricter channels for bi-national intelligence (CIA help) and put pressure on the media to not report narco-crimes or cartel activity. That concerns me because it was the CIA who provided the intelligence for Mexico to act on. We're also seeing sporadic local news reporting of serious crimes. So I'm not thrilled about the elephant in the room he doesn't want to talk about. IMHO you can't have economic growth or a return of tourism without an atmosphere of law and security. Does he think Chinese investors don't know the security challenges of doing business in Mexico? Didn't the cruise industry get it right? Maybe letting the cartels operate below the surface like before is Pena Nietos plan to slow the violence and buy some time. I'm not sold yet. We'll see how the Baja elections go.