Baja Wine Tasting Guadalupe Valley, Santo Tomas and More...

Old 05-23-13, 09:25 PM   #1
skipowell

skipowell is on a distinguished road

Default Just spent a wonderful day in the Valle

Talked some friends of ours that just got their Global Entry cards into coming down to Mexico for the weekend. Off topic but did you know that Global Entry Cards are good in the Sentri lane and are cheaper to apply for and can be done at LAX. Only problem is you can't get a Sentri Sticker on your car there. But if you know anyone who is not driving their own car good option to Sentri.

Back on track, 6 friends ended up coming down so I made reservation to Adobe Guadelupe for a tour of the grounds and tasting. Great host, enjoyed the wine and beautiful grounds. ($10 tasting fee per person) Well worth it.

Then we drove down a long dusty road (the car following me thought I was lost) and made it the Corazon de Tierra for a late lunch. Was worried as I had made reservations and we lost track of time and ended up almost an hour late. They were amazing no concerns about our tardy arrival for our party of 8. We opted for the wine pairing to accompany the dinner. Everything from the meal, the wine, the servie and the surroundings was perfect. One of the people in our party who regularlly haunts places ike French Laundry, CUT and other places that I only hear about was very impressed. In fact he picked up the entire bill which was quite high by our standards. $12,000 pesos, So almost a $1000 for a party of 8.

Last trip we ate at Laja and had an amazing meal, not sure I like better. Laja was a bit closer to what we would like to pay for an amazing meal price wise. and they are right off the Highway 3. But the service was a bit stuffy and formal, while Corazon was a bit more jovial yet with a lot of flair.

Can't wait to go back. We want to try the restaurant that is part of the proprty that has all the cool rooms on the hillside. Heard they have asian infused food. hmmm. Anyone been there?
Also read about Javier Plascencia having a rustic place out there.
Guess another trip is in the making.

Any nomads up for a culinary trip in the Valle?
Lori
Old 05-26-13, 08:50 PM   #2
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Just spent a wonderful day in the Valle

......"Also read about Javier Plascencia having a rustic place out there". .......it's Finca Altozano ............turn off of Hwy 3 like you are going to Laja, however instead of turning into the Laja driveway proceed down the road about a mile. Finca Altozano is on your right. Great view, outstanding food.

Also try out the Fuentes winery and restaurant. Free tastings and Miguel is a really great host.
Old 05-30-13, 11:48 AM   #3
bwall

bwall is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review. I wish there were more reviews of establishments in the Valle here.
Old 05-30-13, 02:31 PM   #4
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall
Thanks for the review. I wish there were more reviews of establishments in the Valle here.
Unless you are there on the weekend, it is very hard to tell who is open or not. There isn't much signage. We've come back hungry and "empty-handed" a few times now (but we don't drive around on weekends).

They need to put up tourist information centers at each entrance to the wine route. Maps, menus, winery brochures- stuff like that. Maybe there is one coming from Ensenada- we drive in from La Mision. It will eventually become more organized and attractive- right now it's where Napa or Sonoma was 25 year ago- the grapes are there, but not the whole "tourist package". There are some very bright spots though.

I was given a tour of the wine region by a man who knew about vineyards. The Guadalupe Valley vineyards use a lot of old rubber tires at the end of rows for irrigation. Apparently that wouldn't pass muster anywhere else because over time rubber can contaminate the soil (or something like that). I don't know if that's true, but it's interesting. I do know there in no shortage of used tires. ;)