Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 06-09-13, 12:22 AM   #1
Jester

Jester is on a distinguished road

Default Good Place to Get Fit & Also Do Business From

Hi folks --

I want to get down there to Baja and try out an area - to move to and work from.

Hoping you guys can help me pick an area to try out for a month or more.

I'm picky but serious so please let me know what you think.

Here are the relevant factors I'm weighing:

(1) I'd prefer to stay in driving and bus radius, say 2-4 hours from the border, so I can visit folks in Alta Cali and they can visit me.

(2) My goal for the next three years is to get fit and healthy, so I am also looking for:
a good area for outdoors fitness. E.g., trail hiking, or ocean swim, or horseback riding. And not too hot and sticky. Dry 95-100 degree F like here in Glendale California is okay a month or two a year, but I'd like to avoid places that are BOTH hot and humid. Otherwise I'll just laze around indoors and do nothing. Colder and dryer the better. I know I'd like Ajijic or Morelia or San Miguel de Allende or whatever, but those are not options right now. The question is where in B.C. Norte is workable.

(3) If there are any groups that work out, or walk, jog, bicycle, ride horses, or hike, or whatever, that would be a big plus. Same with yoga or tai chi. (Or I can just join a gym).

(4) I do not want to grocery-shop and cook by myself very much. So I am looking for an area with inexpensive home-cooking restaurants, or good street food, or both.

(5) I can bring a car, or take the bus. Either way is fine. Obviously if no car I will want to be right smack in town.

(6) I learn languages easily and have picked up a little Spanish just having Mexican friends the last 6 years. Plus I make friends easily. So I can get by, and I don't absolutely have to be in an expat area. Either way on that.

(7) I mostly write, but I really still need great communication with clients etc. so I will want to be in a place with amenities like good light, fairly reliable broadband internet, plus aircon OR cool/comfortable temperature. I.e. a good place for a home office.

(8) I don't have any money to speak of, and won't be buying, just renting. And I want the rent to be hundreds, not thousands (USD).

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Jester
Old 06-09-13, 06:48 AM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Good Place to Get Fit & Also Do Business From

Sounds like Punta Banda is right for your needs.
Old 06-09-13, 08:42 AM   #3
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Sounds like Punta Banda is right for your needs.
Yup, Punta Banda........

From places to eat, to bicycle clubs to home rentals..........Get all the news that is fit to print with the Punta Banda Newsletter:

puntabandanewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 06-09-13, 12:54 PM   #4
Jester

Dennis, Teniente --

Thank you both very much.

Been there and like it. For some reason I hadn't think about it for the present move, but I will now that you suggest it.

This is what I needed. Thanks!
Old 12-13-13, 11:45 PM   #5
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Hi folks --

I want to get down there to Baja and try out an area - to move to and work from.

Hoping you guys can help me pick an area to try out for a month or more.

I'm picky but serious so please let me know what you think.

Here are the relevant factors I'm weighing:

(1) I'd prefer to stay in driving and bus radius, say 2-4 hours from the border, so I can visit folks in Alta Cali and they can visit me.

(2) My goal for the next three years is to get fit and healthy, so I am also looking for:
a good area for outdoors fitness. E.g., trail hiking, or ocean swim, or horseback riding. And not too hot and sticky. Dry 95-100 degree F like here in Glendale California is okay a month or two a year, but I'd like to avoid places that are BOTH hot and humid. Otherwise I'll just laze around indoors and do nothing. Colder and dryer the better. I know I'd like Ajijic or Morelia or San Miguel de Allende or whatever, but those are not options right now. The question is where in B.C. Norte is workable.

(3) If there are any groups that work out, or walk, jog, bicycle, ride horses, or hike, or whatever, that would be a big plus. Same with yoga or tai chi. (Or I can just join a gym).

(4) I do not want to grocery-shop and cook by myself very much. So I am looking for an area with inexpensive home-cooking restaurants, or good street food, or both.

(5) I can bring a car, or take the bus. Either way is fine. Obviously if no car I will want to be right smack in town.

(6) I learn languages easily and have picked up a little Spanish just having Mexican friends the last 6 years. Plus I make friends easily. So I can get by, and I don't absolutely have to be in an expat area. Either way on that.

(7) I mostly write, but I really still need great communication with clients etc. so I will want to be in a place with amenities like good light, fairly reliable broadband internet, plus aircon OR cool/comfortable temperature. I.e. a good place for a home office.

(8) I don't have any money to speak of, and won't be buying, just renting. And I want the rent to be hundreds, not thousands (USD).

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Jester

UPDATE ON MY OP:

Thanks to Dennis and Teniente for clear advice. Took it and ran.

Slight detour for last-minute work reasons but made it to the south side of Ensenada and have gone out on the Buf a couple of times.

Still need to connect with folks out there.

Did join a nice gym at Macro Plaza, going back north toward El Centro.

Successfully avoided hot-and-sticky, THAT's for damn sure. Been FREEZING!

Last edited by Jester; 12-13-13 at 11:47 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-14-13, 01:35 PM   #6
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester

Successfully avoided hot-and-sticky, THAT's for damn sure. Been FREEZING!

We like to call it, "Cool."