Baja Roads, Weather & Services Road Conditions, New Construction, Weather Reports and More

Old 07-22-13, 02:48 PM   #1
Uzun

Uzun is on a distinguished road

Default current extent of Road out of San Felipe South

Does anyone know what the state of the road south of San Felipe is, that is how far does it currently continue for a compact car?

That is, what's the easiest way to get from San Felipe to Bahia de Los Angeles in a Civic or Prius. Any hope soon of a decent paved road between the two?

-Roger
Old 07-22-13, 08:42 PM   #2
willardguy

willardguy is on a distinguished road

Default Re: current extent of Road out of San Felipe South

smooth sailing all the way to gonzaga bay, even the bridge at papa's was open 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't travel any further south in a low profile car though.
Old 07-23-13, 09:00 PM   #3
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardguy
smooth sailing all the way to gonzaga bay, even the bridge at papa's was open 2 weeks ago. I wouldn't travel any further south in a low profile car though.
If I remember correctly, there is lots of sandy road conditions South of Gonzaga Bay.... We did it in a 4x4 F250 with a Lance Camper, but in a low profile car I would be worried.
Old 07-23-13, 11:27 PM   #4
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzun
Does anyone know what the state of the road south of San Felipe is, that is how far does it currently continue for a compact car?

That is, what's the easiest way to get from San Felipe to Bahia de Los Angeles in a Civic or Prius. Any hope soon of a decent paved road between the two?

-Roger
Pavement ends at (or within a few hundred feet of) Papa Fernandez' driveway, Bahia San Luis Gonzaga. That leaves about 38 unpaved miles to Hwy. 1. Unless you don't mind driving 10 mph for about 4 hours, either stick to Hwy. 1 or change vehicles. The paved road (decent or not) will not be completed for a few more years unless they change their speed. It has taken them 6 years to go the 40+ miles from Puertecitos, albeit through very difficult terrain. The older, 52 mile paved highway from San Felipe to Puertecitos is NOT a decent road and will need to be replaced to match the newer style of highway construction north of San Felipe and south of Puertecitos.
Old 07-23-13, 11:29 PM   #5
David K

Quote:
Originally Posted by willardguy

Serious... ? How about photos... Didn't see any mention on Nomad as well... Thanks!
Old 07-26-13, 04:38 PM   #6
Uzun

Uzun is on a distinguished road

Yea if someone could post the road going into Papa's showing the condition I would feel safer venturing south this coming winter.
Old 07-26-13, 05:11 PM   #7
David K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzun
Yea if someone could post the road going into Papa's showing the condition I would feel safer venturing south this coming winter.
Papa's is just 1 mile off Hwy. 5. Hwy. 5 from Puertecitos to near Papa Fernandez' is one of the best highways in Mexico, as far as visual appeal, and good design. The only problem is loose rocks falling onto the pavement in the cuts through the lava mountains.

The older San Felipe to Puertecitos section is not a high speed highway... many sudden, steep dips and narrow pavement.

Highway between Puertecitos and Papa Fernandez':

Highway between San Felipe and Puertecitos: