Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 09-04-13, 11:51 PM   #1
Terrigreen

Terrigreen is on a distinguished road

Default Moving to Baja

Hi, my name is Terry and my husband and our 2 dogs- a big black lab and a tiny rescue puppy we just got, are on our way in a week or two to check out where we want to live, some tiny town south of Ensenada, maybe Maneadero...

We have been living in Puerto Penasco for almost a year, and before that 6 months down in Guerrero south of Acapulco in a tiny fishing village named Playa Ventura. We have a house on the beach down there we're trying to sell- made the mistake of jumping in and buying right off instead of renting while we tried to figure out where we fit...Before all this we lived in northern Calif, right above San Francisco.

So we are coming from first tropics, then desert, and I am done with both. So I hope to glean some info here on this forum, anybody love any little towns below Ensenada (it's just too big)

Thanx!
Old 09-05-13, 09:18 AM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Moving to Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrigreen
Hi, my name is Terry and my husband and our 2 dogs- a big black lab and a tiny rescue puppy we just got, are on our way in a week or two to check out where we want to live, some tiny town south of Ensenada, maybe Maneadero...

We have been living in Puerto Penasco for almost a year, and before that 6 months down in Guerrero south of Acapulco in a tiny fishing village named Playa Ventura. We have a house on the beach down there we're trying to sell- made the mistake of jumping in and buying right off instead of renting while we tried to figure out where we fit...Before all this we lived in northern Calif, right above San Francisco.

So we are coming from first tropics, then desert, and I am done with both. So I hope to glean some info here on this forum, anybody love any little towns below Ensenada (it's just too big)

Thanx!
Hi Terry. to TalkBaja.

You have exactly the right mindset and approach. Plenty of folks here will help you fine tune your decision to live in Baja "norte". You've already discovered (albeit the hard way) that renting is a smart first step to relocation. Good luck!
Old 09-05-13, 01:37 PM   #3
DebMer

DebMer is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum!
Old 09-05-13, 07:29 PM   #4
Churro

Churro is on a distinguished road

Hola!
Old 09-05-13, 09:02 PM   #5
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Check out the Punta Banda/La Bufadora area south of Ensenada
Old 09-06-13, 06:50 AM   #6
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

If you really want to be off the beaten path, check out La Bocana. It's oceanfront via an unpaved road, about 40 miles south of Ensenada. Read the book "God and Mr. Gomez" by Jack Smith, former columnist for the Los Angeles Times.
Old 09-06-13, 08:23 AM   #7
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
If you really want to be off the beaten path, check out La Bocana. It's oceanfront via an unpaved road, about 40 miles south of Ensenada. Read the book "God and Mr. Gomez" by Jack Smith, former columnist for the Los Angeles Times.
Nice place....for a camping trip, in my opinion. Twenty miles of dirt road, each way, would soon get old for me, but to each his/her own.
Old 09-06-13, 09:52 PM   #8
Terrigreen

I think that's on our first list along with Maneadero..
Old 09-06-13, 09:55 PM   #9
Terrigreen

ok I meant to reply to the post about Bufadora and Punta Banda...is on our list. The dirt road sounds nice, but I've done alot of that in Mexico so far...thank you all for your suggestions!
Old 09-07-13, 08:30 AM   #10
Teniente

Quote:
ok I meant to reply to the post about Bufadora and Punta Banda...is on our list. The dirt road sounds nice, but I've done alot of that in Mexico so far...thank you all for your suggestions!
Terri..........don't know what you are looking for in a place/location, or what your needs/wants are, but you might want to subscribe to the Punta Banda Community Newsletter........if you can seperate the wheat from the chaff, there is some good information to be had about the area, events and rentals/sales

puntabandanewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
Old 09-07-13, 09:20 AM   #11
DENNIS

Quote:
I think that's on our first list along with Maneadero..

You mean, your list of places to avoid? Certainly Maneadero isn't being considered as a destination for relocation?????
Old 09-07-13, 09:29 AM   #12
Teniente

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
You mean, your list of places to avoid? Certainly Maneadero isn't being considered as a destination for relocation?????

Uh, yeah. That is what I thought, but was too PC to mention it. It's ok to go shopping or to have your car washed, but not a place I would live.
Old 09-07-13, 09:38 AM   #13
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Uh, yeah. That is what I thought, but was too PC to mention it. It's ok to go shopping or to have your car washed, but not a place I would live.

I know some very nice people that live there, They all have 10 ft. high walls around their house.
Old 09-07-13, 06:15 PM   #14
larry

Quote:
Terri..........don't know what you are looking for in a place/location, or what your needs/wants are, but you might want to subscribe to the Punta Banda Community Newsletter........if you can seperate the wheat from the chaff, there is some good information to be had about the area, events and rentals/sales

puntabandanewsletter-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
I signed up but it seems like a funny way to have a newsletter. I am receiving individual emails personally instead of being able to access a newsletter with topics to choose from such as Talk Baja?
Old 09-07-13, 06:27 PM   #15
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I signed up but it seems like a funny way to have a newsletter. I am receiving individual emails personally instead of being able to access a newsletter with topics to choose from such as Talk Baja?
Welcome to the wonderful world of Yahoo Groups! La Paz has one, too, and the format drives me crazy, but I want (some of) the info, so … maybe Teniente can tell you whether there's a digest version so that you get just one huge email per day instead of a bunch of little ones. It's awkward if people don't trim their posts, though.
Old 09-07-13, 06:47 PM   #16
Teniente

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate
Welcome to the wonderful world of Yahoo Groups! La Paz has one, too, and the format drives me crazy, but I want (some of) the info, so … maybe Teniente can tell you whether there's a digest version so that you get just one huge email per day instead of a bunch of little ones. It's awkward if people don't trim their posts, though.
Yup, there is a "digest" version, but I don't know how to get there.

You might want to go to the home page, click on conversations, then on the right side of that page, hit "New Topic"....and ask how to get a digest.

Since Yahoo changed things, it's a real mess
Old 09-07-13, 06:56 PM   #17
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
I know some very nice people that live there, They all have 10 ft. high walls around their house.

But....NICE walls....huh.

Maneadero is a service town.
Old 09-07-13, 07:02 PM   #18
larry

Confused Re: Moving to Baja

Quote:
Yup, there is a "digest" version, but I don't know how to get there.

You might want to go to the home page, click on conversations, then on the right side of that page, hit "New Topic"....and ask how to get a digest.

Since Yahoo changed things, it's a real mess
Thanks, I only signed up on your recommendation.
Old 09-07-13, 07:13 PM   #19
Teniente

Quote:
Thanks, I only signed up on your recommendation.
I appreciate that Larry. now you will get all the news all the time.!!!
Old 09-07-13, 08:08 PM   #20
SouthBound

SouthBound is on a distinguished road

Hi Terry,

This is Lynne and glad to see you made your way to the boards. I also joined the PB newsletter. Yes, emails but you can just go to the group and view instead or change your settings.

Hope to chat with you soon about your visit, Lynne