Baja Border Crossing San Ysidro-Tecate-Mexicali / Sentri and Ready Lane

Old 03-13-10, 04:27 PM   #1
Tahoe Gringo

Location: Lake tahoe, cold & snowy. Did I mention we miss the ocean?

Tahoe Gringo is on a distinguished road

Default Finally, time to check out Ensenada

Hi everyone, we are finally ready to make the trip in another week. We are serious now about our future & economy may have changed (or should I say "sped up") our plans to move to Mexico.
Questions I have are-
1. Just have time to visit Ensenada for 1 week, do I need to get a tourist card(yes, we have our passports)
2. How much is the toll road & can we pay in US dollaror pesos?
I wish we had more time to visit but circumstances will not let us stay more than a week!
I will tell more about our possible "plan" at another time.
Thanks
Old 03-13-10, 04:34 PM   #2
noproblemo

noproblemo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Finally, time to check out Ensenada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Gringo
Hi everyone, we are finally ready to make the trip in another week. We are serious now about our future & economy may have changed (or should I say "sped up") our plans to move to Mexico.
Questions I have are-
1. Just have time to visit Ensenada for 1 week, do I need to get a tourist card(yes, we have our passports)
2. How much is the toll road & can we pay in US dollaror pesos?
I wish we had more time to visit but circumstances will not let us stay more than a week!
I will tell more about our possible "plan" at another time.
Thanks
First off Congrats.... As for the FMT generally 72 hour window on that, however if you are planning exploratory trips wouldn't hurt to go ahead and get the 180 day one. Toll road I believe is $2.90, for a car, RV's are more someone will correct me if I have it wrong. Yes you can pay in U.S.Dollars, just be sure to pay only in one currency.
Old 03-13-10, 04:49 PM   #3
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Re: the peso v US dollar. Up until a couple of years ago, you could pretty much expect to be able to pay in USD and get US change in US currency. Not so much today. That said, The toll road takes US currency. If you are going to spend a week or more in Ensenada, you would be best to have some pesos. Good news in that there are numerous ATMs all around Ensenada where you can obtain pesos.
Old 03-13-10, 05:47 PM   #4
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Been two weeks since I was in the car... it was $2.15 at each toll gate... we keep a small bag of one dollar bills in the glove box along with a couple of rolls of nickles... as the value of the dollar moves.. so does the toll.. but, in very small increments.. in Oct 09 when we came down.. it was $2.35 now it has been around $2.10 to $2.15 for quite a few months..

I have not needed to use pesos at all, you get a short changed a bit at the gas stations, but, it's still cheaper than the States for fuel.. have started filling up down here.. bad gas... don't think so any more... unless your getting someplace were they are filling your car from buckets or something like that..

I think the old thing with Mexican gas, was more a function of poor underground tanks that leaked and would get water into the product... have not had a single problem with fuel obtained in Rosarito (the PEMEX) you can access from the toll road or the free road on the South end of Rosarito, and have gotten fuel a number of times in Primo Tapia with out problems also.. have paid with dollars every time..

Just a tip, look for station that are above the water table.. fresh or salt.. not sure if Mexico has required all tanks to be double walled.. and with monitoring for leaks.. they might have, as they just loose product when they leak.. and end up with what happen in Guadalajara number of years ago .. a really big boom!!

The Calimex, Costco, Walmart and most of the others take Visa for those that like to keep records of there expenses.. which I do..

Also, don't worry ... you will have a great time ... Ensenada is a very nice town... this was taken a week ago.. coming back from Costco..

Last edited by wessongroup; 03-13-10 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-13-10, 07:53 PM   #5
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Hey, neighbor......we live just down the road from you in Carson City, and we have a house at the Baja Country Club just south of "main" Ensenada.

Be sure to get your FM-T's before you cross the border. My suggestion is that you pay in Pesos as you get a better rate that way. Almost all large supermarkets and all banks have ATM's that you can use to get the best exchange rate for your dollars....just use your ATM card

If I can help you with anything, please let me know.

We will be arriving for a long weekend and to renew our FM-3's on March 18th and departing on the 22nd.
Old 03-13-10, 09:28 PM   #6
Tahoe Gringo

thanks everyone for getting back to me. Also, I have AAA insurance, do I need to get mexican Insurance ?
Hi Teniente, do you remember meeting me for coffee a year ago at the starbucks in Carson. I was going to email you but well now you see the cats outta the bag! I would like to talk to you & "all of you who may give valuable info!"
Also, sorry to ask for prices & stir up some **** but thanks to all!
Old 03-14-10, 12:45 AM   #7
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Get Mexican car ins. I believe AAA will sell you some at a premium or you can just call http://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/ and get it handled that way. If you are leaving too soon to have it mailed they will gladly fax you a cover sheet.
Pay dollars on the toll road. The few cents you spend for the "convenience" is cheaper than the time you take to get pesos prior to crossing the border. Do like others suggest and get them from the ATMs/cajero autimaticos.in Ensenada.
Wish I could get my wife to move to south of Ensenada now. I would commute until I retire but she ain't havin' it....
Have fun and I'd love to read about your visit.

Last edited by soulpatch; 03-14-10 at 12:50 AM. Reason: grammar. Plus, I feel chastised by Marty for a little simple fun.;>o
Old 03-14-10, 06:16 AM   #8
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
thanks everyone for getting back to me. Also, I have AAA insurance, do I need to get mexican Insurance ?
Hi Teniente, do you remember meeting me for coffee a year ago at the starbucks in Carson. I was going to email you but well now you see the cats outta the bag! I would like to talk to you & "all of you who may give valuable info!"
Also, sorry to ask for prices & stir up some **** but thanks to all!
Hey, don't worry it's all good..

Also check out Costco.. they sell insurance on line.. for Mexico

Again, have a good time.. it's an easy drive, the toll road is in really pretty good shape.. and it is overall a very nice drive down to Ensenada.. some "pot holes" which they are filling .. just keep an eye peeled while driving.. and keep back from others so you don't get a surprise .. and stay alert..
Old 03-14-10, 08:36 AM   #9
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wessongroup
...keep back from others so you don't get a surprise .. and stay alert...
Excellent advice that; anywhere.

Besides road hazard, if you're following too closely behind someone that you can't see around, and they are inept/abrupt, you might rear end them if they suddenly slam on the brakes.

Happened to me a few years ago in LA. Very heavy traffic, and an impatient large cab flat bed cut in front of me, evidently thinking I must be dawdling and not keeping up. He proceeds to be very abrupt in braking.

Although I tried my best to keep a fair distance and pay attention, he really slammed them on for one stoppage.

I was able to (barely)stop in time, but the guy behind me(who couldn't see around my rig) couldn't.
Old 03-14-10, 10:09 AM   #10
Teniente

Tahoe:

Yup, I remember and thought it was you!!!!! Tired of the snow yet!!!!!....lol

Yes, you will still need to get Mexican Insurance. I recommend Baja Bound:

Mexican Auto Insurance Online - Baja Bound Mexico Insurance Services

Easy to order on line, and their people are great to work with.

When are you guys going to be there????. We are flying into SD on the 18th and flying out on the 22nd. Renting a car and driving down, crossing at Otay.
Old 03-14-10, 10:13 AM   #11
Tahoe Gringo

Everyone, I just wanted to ask a couple of questions and I thank all of you for answering but I am sorry to see people fight over simple questions! I have spent many months watching from the sidelines & gaining sooo much from all of you but now I wonder if I should have kept my mouth shut. I respect ALL of you folks who know a gazillion more facts about Baja and who take the time every day to share with people like me that know practically nothing, but, I do not want to create a "bull fight" because I ask a couple stupid questions. Now I am apprehensive to POST!
Old 03-14-10, 10:15 AM   #12
Tahoe Gringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Tahoe:

Yup, I remember and thought it was you!!!!! Tired of the snow yet!!!!!....lol

Yes, you will still need to get Mexican Insurance. I recommend Baja Bound:

Mexican Auto Insurance Online - Baja Bound Mexico Insurance Services

Easy to order on line, and their people are great to work with.

When are you guys going to be there????. We are flying into SD on the 18th and flying out on the 22nd. Renting a car and driving down, crossing at Otay.
Old 03-14-10, 10:15 AM   #13
Teniente

Tahoe Gringo.........

Don't worry, it's all good and just a small part of being in the "family"....a few squabbles here and there!!!!!

Check your "Private Message" box.
Old 03-14-10, 10:20 AM   #14
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Everyone, I just wanted to ask a couple of questions and I thank all of you for answering but I am sorry to see people fight over simple questions! I have spent many months watching from the sidelines & gaining sooo much from all of you but now I wonder if I should have kept my mouth shut. I respect ALL of you folks who know a gazillion more facts about Baja and who take the time every day to share with people like me that know practically nothing, but, I do not want to create a "bull fight" because I ask a couple stupid questions. Now I am apprehensive to POST!
FIXED.
Old 03-14-10, 10:22 AM   #15
Tahoe Gringo

Yes we are tired of snow, cold & the economy. We are driving on Sunday (march 21) and staying in San Diego the night & crossing the border on Monday. Sorry we probably not be able to see you as it would be nice to see "anyone" that I would know.We will be staying until the following weekend. I am sorry if I did not do this "quote" response correctly as I am new to typing in the forum!
Also, I have your email, I will send you a more descriptive "plan" we are thinking of.
Old 03-14-10, 10:26 AM   #16
Teniente

Quote:
Yes we are tired of snow, cold & the economy. We are driving on Sunday (march 21) and staying in San Diego the night & crossing the border on Monday. Sorry we probably not be able to see you as it would be nice to see "anyone" that I would know.We will be staying until the following weekend. I am sorry if I did not do this "quote" response correctly as I am new to typing in the forum!
Also, I have your email, I will send you a more descriptive "plan" we are thinking of.

Okey Dokey
Old 03-14-10, 11:02 AM   #17
Tahoe Gringo

Hi Teniente, check out your private message I sent you
Old 03-14-10, 05:14 PM   #18
Teniente

Back at ya, TG!!!!
Old 03-15-10, 04:25 PM   #19
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Was wondering what amount of monthly or annual fees are charged to live there.
Old 02-25-11, 06:23 PM   #20
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Be sure to get your FM-T's before you cross the border. My suggestion is that you pay in Pesos as you get a better rate that way.

Where do you go to get an FM-T before you cross the border?