General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 01-29-11, 08:43 AM   #21
tripledigitken

tripledigitken is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Best route needed from Toronto to San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
I think 163 is like an offshoot and the main road is 160. Anyway, after 160 hits 89 going South toward Flagstaff, you can enter the park from 89 and drive through and exit at Williams.
Excellent advice Howard. As you head towards Flagstaff on 89 south, as you get close to Cameron you will see the Trading Post there, it is very cool!

Just after Cameron you turn right and go west on 64 into the park. Be sure to stop at the Desert View Tower. It is my favorite viewing point on the south rim. If the timing is right Williams has lots of rooms and is a good stop off point.

Have fun.

Ken
Old 01-29-11, 10:14 AM   #22
WendyandRoss

WendyandRoss is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys. Good advice!
Old 01-29-11, 10:59 AM   #23
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

The Grand Canyon Railroad from Williams was a kick... and a really low price for the package... we thought... 2 nights at the hotel in Williams (with meal vouchers), the round trip train ride (included a tourist show), 3 hours at the canyon (included all park fees)...

The train goes right to the south rim where the old hotel is. We walked along the path, along the edge of the canyon to the observation/ learning center... then hopped on the free shuttle back to the hotel/ train depot in time to look in the old hotel and have a drink... before the train ride back to Williams.

The next day, we drove east to Flagstaff then south along Oak Creek Canyon to Sedona then to Jerome and on to Prescott, and home. Jerome and the mine museum there is worth the side trip... lunch at the Haunted Hamburger.

On another Arizona trip we came across (as you are) from the east side along I-40. We went to Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico first. In Arizona, we went to the Painted Desert/ Pertrified Forest on I-40 (was awesome)... then west to the Meteor Crater (awesome), then through Flagstaff... past Williams... and home.