General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 03-02-11, 08:41 PM   #1
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Default Two day drive to La Paz from BOLA

I am thinking southbound we will stop and overnight in Loreto. Mulege would be our shortest distance southbound.
I don't want to pay a whole lot to overnight but clean and secure our good qualities I will pay for.
Northbound, I think San Ignacio is a good stop for overnighting before heading back into BOLA.
Should I stay in a yurt? I think AC is going to be muy importante....maybe we should just power it out to the Cowboy in GN.....
Hell, on the way north I could take more time and hit Bahia Asuncion....think it'd be cold and windy mid-June there?
I am, obviously, open to input here.

Last edited by soulpatch; 03-02-11 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-02-11, 11:13 PM   #2
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Two day drive to La Paz from BOLA

We really like the Motel Cuesta Real in Mulege..... for sure. Great place, price and location.

Hotel Cuesta Real (Mulege, Mexico) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor
Old 03-03-11, 10:11 AM   #3
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
We really like the Motel Cuesta Real in Mulege..... for sure. Great place, price and location.

Hotel Cuesta Real (Mulege, Mexico) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor
Stayed there many times when Ken had the place it was the best in Mulege but of course I was prejudice He was Family
Old 03-03-11, 10:33 AM   #4
soulpatch

Best price online for that hotel was $100/night. I was thinking a bit less. I found Serenidad for $59.
I am thinking I want to make it to Loreto that day anyway so I can have a much shorter drive into La Paz.
Keep 'em coming, though!
Old 03-03-11, 10:52 AM   #5
J.P.

WOW that place is definately not a 100dlr hotel
Old 03-03-11, 11:17 AM   #6
soulpatch

It was years ago but I stayed at the little hotel when you first pull into town that used to be a bank....clean, secure and nice for $28/night.
I wonder if it is still there.
Just curious. I still think Loreto is where we will stop-over, though.
Old 03-03-11, 01:32 PM   #7
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

How about "Hacienda Vandenberg" in Nopalo? OOPS!!!! Sorry edinnopalo....maybe I got confused by the inn in the middle of your username! Or are you still booked cheek-to-jowl with that Nudist Convention?

Old 03-03-11, 02:03 PM   #8
soulpatch

Is there such a thing as a nudist-convention? I thought they rejected such identifying restraints!
Old 03-03-11, 04:57 PM   #9
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Since there wil be a bunch of you, you might consider the Hotel Santa Fe on Salvatierra on the way into town. It's fundamentally a timeshare place built by the Villa Group in support of their big project at Ensenada Blanca. They have a teaser rate for a single queen bed room at like $59. However, given that you'll need more beds, you might be able to negotiate a rate for a bigger suite. Their rooms, since they are timeshare. have kitchens or kitchettes. In the absence of satisfaction there, just across the street is Hacienda Suites, a quality, family run hotel with a great pool and complimentary breakfast. In between them is one of the better restaurants in Loreto, Domingo's Place, which was once part of the El Nido chain.

That said, the trip from Loreto to La PAz is a piece of cake.

To comment on Serenidad, although your trip to La Paz would be a few hours longer from there, I have very mixed feelings about this property. It is a Baja icon. But, while the public space (restaurant and bar) are well maintained, I find the rooms to be quite long in the tooth.

If it was me, travelling with kids, the pool at Hacienda Suites would close the deal.

Hotel Hacienda Suites, Loreto Baja, Mxico
Old 03-04-11, 08:43 AM   #10
edinnopolo

edinnopolo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
How about "Hacienda Vandenberg" in Nopalo? OOPS!!!! Sorry edinnopalo....maybe I got confused by the inn in the middle of your username! Or are you still booked cheek-to-jowl with that Nudist Convention?

Our place is more "the Boutique " kind, not conducive to the "smaller" human variety.
Although we come highly recommended, very picky of the clientel we allow. Have to be able to bring their own waterheater for instance. Momentarely we are full.

Soulpatch,
maybe worth your while to check with the Inn at Loreto Bay. Had accommodations on sale for $59 for a while. Great place for the kids. They may give you a deal since they're pretty much empty.

Last edited by edinnopolo; 03-04-11 at 08:49 AM.
Old 03-04-11, 11:03 AM   #11
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Give me some dates to work with. I found some great prices on rooms but it does vary based on what date you will be staying...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-04-11, 01:34 PM   #12
soulpatch

Heading down we will overnight on June 1. Northbound I think we will make more time than Loreto.....I am thinking possibly Bahia Asuncion for a look-see depending on June weather there for a couple of days on the way back to Bola.
Looks like some phone calls are in order. The hotel Angra sounds nice but a pool to jump in to loosen up after the drive also sounds inviting.
Old 03-05-11, 11:56 AM   #13
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
Stayed there many times when Ken had the place it was the best in Mulege but of course I was prejudice He was Family
Re: Cuesta Real.... What happened to Ken? He was a great guy!!
Smoked a cigar with him once over a couple-a beers...
Old 03-05-11, 12:04 PM   #14
soulpatch

Thinking northbound we may overnight in Punta Chivato. I like the looks of that little hotel and the rates are right.
Old 03-05-11, 04:00 PM   #15
J.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H
Re: Cuesta Real.... What happened to Ken? He was a great guy!!
Smoked a cigar with him once over a couple-a beers...
Three floods and no tourist.
he is managing the HOTELITO IN PUNTA CHIVATO
Old 03-05-11, 04:12 PM   #16
Bajahowodd

Unfortunately, there has been a great deal of development along the river bed. Folks with homes in the Orchard and Oasis were devastated almost year after year. I feel for those folks because the ambience along the river is spectacular. But, just have to wonder about gambling that the worst is over, and it may be years before something like that happens again. To a certain extent, it brings into the debate whether climate change is real.

If not for the consecutive floods there, I would be mightily tempted to invest. It's an unabashed paradise.
Old 03-05-11, 05:09 PM   #17
J.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
Unfortunately, there has been a great deal of development along the river bed. Folks with homes in the Orchard and Oasis were devastated almost year after year. I feel for those folks because the ambience along the river is spectacular. But, just have to wonder about gambling that the worst is over, and it may be years before something like that happens again. To a certain extent, it brings into the debate whether climate change is real.

If not for the consecutive floods there, I would be mightily tempted to invest. It's an unabashed paradise.
Yes its a beautiful place but I didnt like the fact that after the River what else is there that any other place in baja doesnt offer. My late wife put up a hard sell to live there but Ijust didnt like the Orchard that much.
Old 03-05-11, 05:39 PM   #18
Bajahowodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
Yes its a beautiful place but I didnt like the fact that after the River what else is there that any other place in baja doesnt offer. My late wife put up a hard sell to live there but Ijust didnt like the Orchard that much.
Interesting point. Without dissing the rest of Mulege, fact is that most of the development along the rio was gringo oriented. Gotta wonder the plight of Mulege sans gringos.

Just seems we folks from up North can be both a good and a bad force in Baja.
Old 03-05-11, 05:57 PM   #19
J.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajahowodd
Interesting point. Without dissing the rest of Mulege, fact is that most of the development along the rio was gringo oriented. Gotta wonder the plight of Mulege sans gringos.

Just seems we folks from up North can be both a good and a bad force in Baja.
I totaly agree I live in a beautiful place and my gringo neighbors devote most of their time trying to change it to a suburb from where they just left. I really cant understand why they are here and when they start that condesending POOOOOOOOOOOR MEXICAN CRAP
just makes me want to PUKE.
Old 03-05-11, 09:06 PM   #20
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

I have always wondered why they don't build their houses in the river area up on concrete stilts? When working in Indonesia I saw thousands of homes survive massive flooding set up on nothing more than bamboo stilts...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic