Moving to Baja Full/Part Time Should we? How to Do It? Moving Furniture, etc...

Old 08-27-11, 04:52 PM   #1
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

Default Looking on advice for our drive to La Paz

Well another week and our drive from Toronto Starts. September 7 or 8>>>

We have to make a stop in the San Diego area to meet some Family before the crossing.

Anyhow, my question is:

1) Where do we Cross?
I understand there are a few crossing's and this will be our first trip down no Visa's yet.

2) Is there a better time of day to Cross?

3) As this is our first time making this trip any suggestions for the trip would be greatly appreciated.
i.e. on time of day for travelling, for place's to stay about mid way I guess (2 day trip? I assume), potential fueling issues if any (My wife say's she gets about 400 KM per tank)
Old 08-27-11, 05:31 PM   #2
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: Looking on advice for our drive to La Paz

You don't mention what you are driving. However, since you need "visas", it would seem to me that San Ysidro would be the best choice, inasmuch as you will find the IMM office just a few feet away from the bank where you can pay for your FMM visas.

Since you don't mention what you are driving, it's difficult to say where to stop/ stay. Fundamentally, for those inveterate Baja travelers who actually do a single overnight, Guerrero Negro would be the choice to stop.

Several decent hotels there. Caracoles and Cowboy are my first choices. Malarrimo is an iconic place that also has rooms, but above all, probably has the best restaurant in town. Since I don't know your own personal preferences, I won't recommend other establishments. Although, we have stayed at and eaten at several other very good choices..

All that said, we have found that it is much more pleasant to make that trip in as many as three nights. Much easier on the driver. Our firat night tends to be at San Quintin, where we stay at Hotel Jardines de Baja, which is a lovely place that also happens to have a great restaurant adjacent.

We then may stop at Guerrreo Negro, which is not a very long day. After which, we head to Loreto, and saty at Hacienda Suites. A very good restaurant next door, Domingo's Place.

It's then a chip shot to La Paz from there.
Old 08-27-11, 07:07 PM   #3
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

I've only crossed at TJ/San Ysidro & since you'll be in San Diego, it makes sense to just hit I-5 & head south.

There are some great photo/essay crossing threads on Baja Nomad, start here:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthre...9336#pid571371

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=48373

http://www.rosaritobeachhotel.com/di...o_rosarito.php

I've usually crossed shortly after daylight, but it's been several years since I made the drive, so maybe others who have made it more recently will chime in on current information for best crossing times. You will have to stop at Immigration at the border to get & pay for your FMM visas; also detailed on the BN crossing threads.

Absolutely minimum 2-day trip!! For your first drive, don't try to do it in any less! Depending on when you can cross the border & truly begin making progress south, IMO governs what makes good sense for your nightly stopping points. Absolutely, positively don't drive at night....it gets damn dark out in the desert....there's no such thing as lighted highways here! Carry a Baja map & refer to it to see how close the next village/town is & refer to it often based on where you are, especially late in the day. The highway south of Ensenda is not made for high speed travel....just trust me on this!

Lanes are narrower than you're used to....drive defensively & don't driver faster than your line of sight allows you to see the road ahead. I can guarantee that you will have buses & semis coming at you across the center line (if there is a visible center line!), slow down for curves & blind hills....in the AM there's likely to be a cow/goat/burro (or herd of same) grazing along side the highway, if not meandering across it! When approaching any village, town or otherwise populated area you'll encounter Tope signs.....SLOW DOWN! Topes are speed bumps & some are mighty brutal! Also watch for dogs & pedestrians taking the right of way as you come into populated areas. Many more Topes, but there are a few Vados....a vado is a dip in the road for water flow & there is one serious one that used to have "OH SH_T DIP" painted in large white letters across the hwy! Either Tope or Vado signs need to cause an immediate reaction & make you slow down. The majority of the length of Baja, there is a drop at the edge of the pavement, so it's not easy to pull off wherever you may feel a need to....plan accordingly.

Always top off your tank whenever you get the chance....there's just one area (south of San Quintin) between El Rosario & Villa Jesus Maria north of Guerrero Negro), where there's an approximate 200-mile stretch with no stations. So you need to make sure you head out of El Rosario with a full tank. I always fill up around the half tank mark with the exception of that one station-less stretch.

I may take some grief for this, but I'm personally not a Rosarito/Ensenda fan, I cross & don't stop until well south of Ensenada.

If your car is going to be heavily loaded, try to find a hotel with secure parking.

I recommend that you carry a Mexican cell phone. Absolutely carry a camera & use it often! You'll encounter 7-8 military check points, where you'll have to stop (occasionally flagged through one or more checkpoints southbound....but it just depends on whether or not there may be something out of the ordinary that they're on alert for) If stopped, you'll be asked to get out so they can search for weapons & drugs.....each & every time, take any & all valuables with you when you leave the vehicle, cash on the console, purse, camera, etc. The check points are approximately every 200-250 miles. They may or may not want to check inside suitcases & boxes, one of you should stay with the guys & keep your eyes open. I usually carry a bag of candy on the passenger seat & hand it out, the guys are young, lonely & far from home & they do appreciate smiles & an occasional unexpected treat.

Do not pay mordita to any policeman if you get stopped. If it's a valid stop, ask for a ticket & follow them to the police station to pay....hold your ground! There is no legal reason for cash to be passing to police or military once you've paid for your FMM's at the bank & returned the receipt to INM for them to validate your FMM at the border.

Drive safely, enjoy the varying scenery along the route, pay attention to your surroundings & the conditions around you & get here in one piece!!

Sorry you asked?

Last edited by longlegsinlapaz; 08-28-11 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Corrected geographical mis-information
Old 08-27-11, 08:42 PM   #4
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
...Always top off your tank whenever you get the chance....there's just one area (I believe south NORTH of Guerrerro Negro) that there's an approximate 200-mile stretch with no stations. I always fill up around half a tank with the exception of that one station-less stretch...
FIXED.

That stretch is from El Rosario(south of San Quintin) to Villa Jesus Maria(a ways north of Guerrero Negro)...

Sometimes there's gas at the Hotel in Cataviña, and guys sell it out of barrels at the turnoff to Bahia de los Angeles. For sure top off in El Rosario.
Old 08-27-11, 09:31 PM   #5
longlegsinlapaz

Marty, a sincere thank you for correcting a geographically-challenged person!! One side or t'other of GN!

Damn good thing it was a pretty straight line between Portland & La Paz! Or I could be in Seattle!
Old 08-28-11, 06:51 AM   #6
wessongroup

wessongroup is on a distinguished road

Well, have a great trip .... and again take a lot of pictures.... we would hope to see a couple upon reaching your destination ....

By the way... welcome.. as you can see there is a lot of knowledge here... and can prove very useful... in many ways...

I get lessons here on many things...
Old 08-28-11, 04:03 PM   #7
Bajahowodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Cortez
FIXED.

That stretch is from El Rosario(south of San Quintin) to Villa Jesus Maria(a ways north of Guerrero Negro)...

Sometimes there's gas at the Hotel in Cataviña, and guys sell it out of barrels at the turnoff to Bahia de los Angeles. For sure top off in El Rosario.
Although we have frequently gassed at Jesus Maria, just wanted to go on record that there have been a couple of times over the years when they were out of gas.

Southbound, it may not be an issue, since Guerrero Negro is not that much farther South. But, when driving Northbound, it just might be a good idea to gas at Guerrero Negro, inasmuch as if you are relying on the Jesus Maria station, and perchance they are out, the only sane thing to do would be to back track to Guerrero Negro.

My recollection is that the Jesus Maria station is operated by the local ejido. Just guessing that Pemex does not entertain a lack of payment.
Old 08-29-11, 07:27 AM   #8
CDN_JOHNNY

Thank You for all the kind words.

Longleg's, Nice details, just what I was looking for.

Your comment "Sorry you asked? "
Not really looking forward to it.
Actually Very nervous, yet the excitment of the potential change is somewhat overwhelming.

I figure if it would be easy everybody would be doing it.

@ Bajahowodd: We/I will be driving a fairly new Escape. (I am sure my wife will not do any driving at all, she cannot/will not handle that part of the trip very well)

PS: Longleg's another voice of thanks, if you had not wrned me of bieng cautious I would have attempted to drive the road with that "gotta get there NOW" attitude" and might have pushed the limit.

@ wessongroup: I hope that I can eventually pay back some of the knowledge shared by the members here with some of my own knowledge.
Old 08-29-11, 09:57 AM   #9
longlegsinlapaz

Oh!!! And the left hand turn signal you'll undoubtedly encounter several times on the highway & be saying to yourself, "There's been no road or driveway out here for the last 80 miles, where's that guy gonna turn?" There's a "thing" (for want of a more accurate term since "courtesy" certainly doesn't apply in all instances!) down here when drivers turn on their left turn signal to tell vehicles behind them that it's safe to pass. I personally don't take the car in front's word on that blindly! I wait until I can SEE for myself that the road ahead is truly clear of oncoming traffic, livestock, pedestrians, rocks in the roadway, etc. Frequently, immediately after you see the blinking left signal, you'll immediately encounter a blind curve or a hill. For that reason, as well as having encountered all of the above listed reasons when it was NOT safe to pass, I slowly edge to the left, just enough to see around the semi & take my own look & make my own judgment call. I've followed vehicles for 1-30 miles as a fairly steady stream of oncoming traffic miles sailed past, around blind curves & over blind hills!! Possibly the driver signaled someone it was safe to pass hours ago & forgot to turn his signal off!! I've also seen a left turn signal come on, edged to the left & peeked to discover an oncoming car that was simply too close (& closing rapidly!). I've had truck drivers wave their arm out the window urging me to pass as well & discovered that his judgment in safe passing distance/conditions was in no way parallel, let alone remotely close to mine!

On the other hand, you'll often go for 50 miles or more without seeing another vehicle in either direction!! Those are the times when I kick into hyper-awareness of my surroundings & think "Oh crap!! If I have a problem, I could be totally screwed!" If you do have a problem on the highway, most likely the first vehicle that comes along will stop & offer assistance. If that vehicle is a green & white SUV with writing all over it, it's the Green Angels. Their job is to travel the highway looking for travelers who need assistance. They are stocked with water, vehicle fluids, parts, tools & communication if they can't provide whatever is needed. Their service is free, but as always, the offer of a cold soda or juice wouldn't be turned down.

It's really smart to carry a cooler with water & other provisions or beverages just in case you do encounter any kind of problem. But if you're traveling through a really desolate looking remote area & lo & behold you spy a really decrepit looking place along side the highway, with a Modelo/Pacifico/Tecate sign out front, it's safe to stop for cold drinks & snacks! On my first trip down, I looked & figured all they sold was the beer they advertised & there was no way I'd buy anything from that....uhhhhhh....less than pristine establishment....let alone cross the threshold into that dark interior. By my second trip, I was stopping at the drop of a hat for a coke & something to munch on, simply to stretch my legs or make a pitstop. Oh yeah, it's also very smart to carry a roll of TP in your vehicle, you may encounter banos (bathrooms) along the way, but 9 times out of 10, there will be no TP! Taking along a container of wet-wipes can go a long way towards giving you a few moments of refreshing coolness!

Last, but not least, since this is hurricane season & the peninsula has had several storms pass over recently, be aware that any storm has the potential to drop huge amounts of water which can cause flooding & fill arroyos & can either wash out portions of the road, or bring traffic to a complete standstill for hours as the water makes it's way down from the hills into lower-lying areas. Even a lesser, seemingly insignificant storm can drop enough water in the hills, which by the time it all makes it's way to lower levels, can make for torrential flooding of arroyos.

Those are the biggies that I failed to cover the first time & if I think of anything else, I'll be back! Here's hoping that since you know some of the worst possibilities that your first drive down will borderline on totally uneventful, boring even....but please don't forget to use your camera & record your travels through what I feel is visually a harsh, yet starkly beautiful country! You'll undoubtedly see a lot of fresh greenery & amazing displays of desert flowers blooming after the rains.

Safe travels!
Old 08-29-11, 09:58 AM   #10
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

My advice is long and complicated...

Prepare for the unexpected and have fun!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 08-29-11, 10:45 AM   #11
longlegsinlapaz

Hmmmmmmmm....was that a polite way of implying I might be a wordy old so & so!

Hey, it may be all old hat to you after all this time, but the first-time drive can be overwhelming for the uninitiated!! Anyone who may not come from hardy pioneer stock is most likely envisioning the drive to be comparable to crossing Canada or driving through the USA....it's a helluva a culture shock to discover the harsh realities of Hwy 1 without fair warning. We definitely ain't in Kansas anymore, Toto! We are heading off into the unknown! I did save recommendations for pith helmets & a snake bite kit for others to suggest!
Old 08-29-11, 01:42 PM   #12
CDN_JOHNNY

I have traveled Mexican Hwy's in the past. They were all main land however.

Let's see If I can recall some of the Trips

1) Toronto to Saltillio
2) Toronto to Mexico City
3) Toronto to Leon
4) Mexico City to Acapulco (Numerous time while working in Mexico City)
5) Mexico City to Leon
6) Mexico City to Guadalajara
7) Mexico City to Torreon
8) Toronto to Mexicali
9) Mexico City to Oaxaca
10) Guadalajara to Puerto Vallarta
11) Huatulco to Puerto Escondido

The nice Hwy's I forget the 2 lane special's I will never forget.
Old 08-29-11, 04:06 PM   #13
longlegsinlapaz

Then you might be prepared for a 1.5 lane journey!!
Old 09-10-11, 05:11 PM   #14
CDN_JOHNNY

Our trip has started this moring:::

First Stop: Indianapoilis, Indiana

Planned Second Stop: Tulsa

Planned Third Stop: ???

Planned Fourth Stop: San Diego, CA

Question?

Suggested overnight places to stop south of the border ?
(I am guessing it would be September 16 > 17.)
Old 09-12-11, 04:31 PM   #15
Bajahowodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_JOHNNY
Our trip has started this moring:::

First Stop: Indianapoilis, Indiana

Planned Second Stop: Tulsa

Planned Third Stop: ???

Planned Fourth Stop: San Diego, CA

Question?

Suggested overnight places to stop south of the border ?
(I am guessing it would be September 16 > 17.)
If you are leaving from San Diego, recommendations would depend upon just how long you think you will travel per day. I already mentioned some Guerrero Negro hotels, as well as San Quintin, a chip shot if you are leaving from SD, and Loreto.
Old 09-12-11, 11:19 PM   #16
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlegsinlapaz
I've only crossed at TJ/San Ysidro & since you'll be in San Diego, it makes sense to just hit I-5 & head south.

....a vado is a dip in the road for water flow & there is one serious one that used to have "OH SH_T DIP" painted in large white letters across the hwy!

This was on the highway south of San Felipe towards Puertecitos (Mex. 5)... There were two places with that warning painted on the asphalt and one was 'fixed'...

Hwy. 1 to La Paz has no dips anywhere close to the steep drop off ones between San Felipe and Puertecitos. The other warnings and advice are correct, however. I would allow three days... there is also so many beautiful and intesting places near or on the highway to enjoy along the nearly 900 miles from San Diego to La Paz.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-11, 04:36 AM   #17
dusty

dusty is on a distinguished road

Johnny, I agree with bajahowodd's first post on this thread. Whether you stop at San Quintin or Guerro Negro is probably a function of how early you leave San Diego. From either, Loreto is very doable and 4 - 4/12 hours from La Paz. Maybe a "chip shot" for how odd, I'd need a 4 iron.
Old 09-13-11, 08:22 AM   #18
CDN_JOHNNY

Update

We are in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Heading out this morning to Kingsman, AZ (Going to take one day at Grand Canyon)
Then on to San Diego>

A change in plans>>> I think, almost sure the Wife spoke

The wife has family in Mexicalli and with Sept 15 around the corner it looks like we are going to enter Mexico there.

Has anybody made a trip down on the Mexican side from Mexicalli?

Looking for further advice.
Old 09-14-11, 03:50 PM   #19
longlegsinlapaz

Unless Baja has been busy building roads, I think if you were to attempt driving "down on the Mexican side from Mexicali" that you'd be doing a helluva lot of uhhhhhhhhhh....off-roading. Hwy 1 is the only highway that runs the length of Baja & unfortunately, I've never crossed at Mexicali, but while waiting for someone with actual knowledge of that crossing to chime in.....I'm looking on Google Earth & while you can cross at Mexicali, it appears that there is a road which pretty much dead-ends not too far south & it'd be smarter to "Go West, young man!".....if you choose to cross at Mexicali, then take either the Carratera Federal 2 de Cota (toll road) or the Mexicali-Tecate highway westward until the first point you can intersect with Hwy 1 southbound. I'm guessing that the road quality might make for a better ride if you were to go from Mexicali to get to Hwy 1 on the US side, but you might also miss out on some awesome scenery of you take either the Mexicali-Tecate toll road or free road. Your call, based on how tight your schedule may be & how adventuresome you're feeling when the moment arrives! Sorry I can't offer any personal knowledge of the roads/routes out of Mexicali. It's possible someone else may still chime in.

If, on the off-chance, you meant drive down mainland Mexico & take the ferry from Topolobampo to La Paz, that's a whole 'nuther possibility. Other than IMO, the ferry can be fairly pricey because they charge for the vehicle, the driver & each individual. If you want a private room for the crossing, it's another approx $75 (equiv USD) on top of the vehicle & per person passenger fares. Again, that's a route I've never taken.

I took your post to mean you were asking about driving down the Sea of Cortez side of the peninsula, thus my recommendation in the first paragraph to cross over to Hwy 1 which starts on the Pacific side at TJ & eventually crosses over the peninsula to the Sea of Cortez side .

If you have a road map, check it out for any possibilities I might not be seeing on Google Earth.

Drive safely & stop for the night BEFORE dark!
Old 09-14-11, 05:38 PM   #20
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_JOHNNY
Update...wife has family in Mexicali ...
Well then; there you have it.

After visiting family and the diez y seis de septiembre celebration, it's 2 west to Tecate and then 3 south to Ensenada.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oeste.JPG

Views:	65

Size:	43.9 KB

ID:	2912