South of the Border Communications Internet, cell service, Vonage and WiFi at your palapa

Old 11-07-12, 08:05 PM   #1
markg

markg is on a distinguished road

Default Getting websites in English

I have made the move to Todos Santos and am happily enjoying small town life here on the Pacific side of BCS. My Vonage phone works great, and the internet connection is adequate. But I can't figure out how to get websites to show up in English. Some do, but many of the more popular sites automatically switch to Spanish based on my server location. Does anyone know how to ensure that websites are English only, as long as I search in English?
Old 11-07-12, 08:50 PM   #2
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Getting websites in English

You can either use a translation program such as Google Translate, or get a server based in the US....HMA is one example that gives you a US base3d IP address:

Hide My Ass! Free Proxy and Privacy Tools - Surf The Web Anonymously
Old 11-07-12, 09:19 PM   #3
markg

markg is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Teniente, I'll check it out. I'd heard there was a special program that would ensure you only get English in your searches.
Old 11-08-12, 08:17 AM   #4
mycomitan

mycomitan is on a distinguished road

download google in english.
Old 11-08-12, 08:42 AM   #5
edinnopolo

edinnopolo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycomitan
download google in english.
My provider is Prodigy.mx
I've tried everything to get Google, the US version, to no avail. Have to use the "choose country feature" to get the US version. However, often it automatically reverts back to the Spanish version.
If any body can help, without having to go the US provider route, I would appreciate it.
Old 11-08-12, 09:19 AM   #6
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

I have the same connection as Ed (Telmex/Prodigy Infinitum) and get Google Mexico in Spanish. But it works exactly the same and gives me results in English, Spanish, or both, depending on what I search, so it rarely matters. I just figured "that's the way it is" and got used to it.
It does occasionally matter if I'm trying to order something online using a US credit card, but so far I've found ways to get around it on the individual sites. Somewhere there's usually a "change country" or "change currency" option.
Old 11-08-12, 10:38 AM   #7
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

I think the reason that sites show up in Spanish is because of the "tracking system (cookies)".
They tell the site that you are connecting from a ISP that is in Mexico and automatically assumes Spanish is language of choice.

My computer (Desk Top) came with me from Toronto and thusly has all programs such as Google from there (i.e. Google.ca)

So if I am searching I search using the google.ca and most of the sites that comes up are from the Canadian and in english. Bookmark (save the site in favorites) and it will always come up in english.

I think using google be it .com or .ca makes the sites think your searching from outside Mexico.
That being said your searches will result in non-mexican results unless "in Mexico" is part of the search.
Old 11-12-12, 10:38 AM   #8
ncampion

ncampion is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg
I have made the move to Todos Santos and am happily enjoying small town life here on the Pacific side of BCS. My Vonage phone works great, and the internet connection is adequate. But I can't figure out how to get websites to show up in English. Some do, but many of the more popular sites automatically switch to Spanish based on my server location. Does anyone know how to ensure that websites are English only, as long as I search in English?

Use this address for Google searches: Google
Old 11-12-12, 11:35 AM   #9
edinnopolo

edinnopolo is on a distinguished road

Thanks!! That works.
Old 11-29-12, 01:24 AM   #10
markosjal

markosjal is on a distinguished road

For anyone interested We offer a proxy service thar allows you to surf as if you were in Los angeles

see
http://www.teknogeekz.com/proxy.php

I know it works with Hulu and I am told it works with Netflix(USA), but have not tested netflix personally

Mark
Old 12-10-12, 10:32 AM   #11
markosjal

markosjal is on a distinguished road

Commercial USA Proxy service here that works with Netflix, Hulu and more

http://teknogeekz.com/proxy.php

This is not a slow free service rather a commercial service that is not overtaed during some hours of the day. If you set this up delete all site cookies in your browser and go to your sites they will all apprear in english (assuming too you use an english OS and browser), as if you were in Los Angeles, CA USA.