General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 01-09-13, 11:40 PM   #1
bwall

bwall is on a distinguished road

Default English speakers in BCN?

A comment that Woooosh made got me to thinking. . . .

I've met recently a few Mexicans along the TJ-Ensenada corridor who speak really great English. I met them all when they were at work in the tourist industry (for lack of a better description), btw, not privately.

I always comment on their English, like 'hey, man, your English is really great. How did you do that?' All but one said they spent a number of years Calif, generally some small town (the other one was just an Anglo-phile). I follow up with a general question like 'well, what prompted the move?' and I don't ask much further beyond that. Their answers are always generic, like 'oh, I like it better here' or 'My child is here' or something along those lines. Usually they don't look more than 10 years older than the number of years in the USA that they state.

My question(s):
Has anyone else noticed an uptick in those who speak really great English?
Do you think that these are deportees from the USA showing up in the workforce?
Or is it a part of the natural cycle of immigration where they are returning after so long in the USA?
Is this natural resource boon (in the form of many bi-lingual arrivals in need of a job) for Baja or more like a problem that will need a solution?
Old 01-10-13, 07:55 AM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: English speakers in BCN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall

Some are so you really should give them the tattoo test, shirts off and look for gang markings.
Virgin of Guadalupe tat doesn't necessarily denote gang affiliation in the legal sense, but it might in other ways.

Other repatriots are back down here because they simply like it here more. There's no place like home.

Where are you hanging out in this "corridor?" Doesn't sound as though it's in the Culture Center.
Old 01-10-13, 03:50 PM   #3
beachbum

beachbum is on a distinguished road

Default Re: English speakers in BCN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwall
I've met recently a few Mexicans along the TJ-Ensenada corridor who speak really great English. I met them all when they were at work in the tourist industry (for lack of a better description), btw, not privately.

I always comment on their English, like 'hey, man, your English is really great. How did you do that?' All but one said they spent a number of years Calif, generally some small town (the other one was just an Anglo-phile). I follow up with a general question like 'well, what prompted the move?' and I don't ask much further beyond that. Their answers are always generic, like 'oh, I like it better here' or 'My child is here' or something along those lines. Usually they don't look more than 10 years older than the number of years in the USA that they state.

My question(s):
Has anyone else noticed an uptick in those who speak really great English?
Or is it a part of the natural cycle of immigration where they are returning after so long in the USA?
Is this natural resource boon (in the form of many bi-lingual arrivals in need of a job) for Baja or more like a problem that will need a solution?
You just now noticed that there are locals in Baja who speak good english? For as long as I have been coming across the border there has always been an abundance of people down here who speak english fluently, especially those working in the tourist areas. I think you need to get out more.