Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 02-02-13, 09:17 PM   #1
el rosario

el rosario is on a distinguished road

Default LTL - long time lurker

OK, so I decided it was about time I quit watching from the sidelines and jumped into the pool. We have a place down south of Bajagringo about 40 miles just outside El Rosario. Don't participate much in online stuff but I really like this forum and the laid back atmosphere. So here I am - sound the fog horn!
Old 02-02-13, 09:37 PM   #2
Reyes

Reyes is on a distinguished road

Default Re: LTL - long time lurker

Bienvenido.

Are you outside El Rosario on the desert side or on the Punta Baja side?
Old 02-02-13, 10:09 PM   #3
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

Welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself, I'm looking forward to your participation.
Old 02-02-13, 10:21 PM   #4
el rosario

Thanks for welcome guys. Our place is out near Punta Baja - a simple place that is off grid. In fact we met Ron in the summer of 2011. We stopped by his place asking for advice about how to rig our system to add a wind turbine. Really nice guy. Saw his system and it looked pretty nice back then. Based on his recent posts on his system it looks like it has really developed into a 1st class off grid setup. Is my envy showing through?
Old 02-03-13, 08:18 AM   #5
Islander

We drove out to Punta Baja last year, just checking it out. Looks like a great area, and would have explored longer but we were short on time.

What is life like out there? What are your primary entertainments, off-roading, beach stuff, gardening?
Old 02-03-13, 01:07 PM   #6
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Were you the guys who came by in an old Landcruiser???

And welcome to the forum!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 02-03-13, 10:34 PM   #7
el rosario

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaGringo
Were you the guys who came by in an old Landcruiser???
!
That was us. We hope to stop by one of our next trips down and say hi.
Old 02-03-13, 10:51 PM   #8
el rosario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
We drove out to Punta Baja last year, just checking it out. Looks like a great area, and would have explored longer but we were short on time.

What is life like out there? What are your primary entertainments, off-roading, beach stuff, gardening?
We are back some distance from the beach, off the main road out up the hill a ways back. It is a nice piece of property that my wife was left from her dad who was in the ejido.

We like to fish, collect rocks down on the beach for our garden (a work in progress) and ride our quads once in awhile. We mainly just like to hang out and take in the great weather and view. We do see lots of folks pass by below on their way out to the beach to surf and others windsurf.
Old 02-04-13, 01:14 AM   #9
Islander

All those hills looked like they have great views!
There was a guy harvesting Agave, or something like it, when we drove out the road. We stopped at several places along the river, is that settlement still El Rosario? I thought it was a nice looking area.
Do you have many neighbors out there? Looked pretty lonely depending on where you are.

We live in the middle of 40 acres of forest, and can't see, or usually hear, anyone else. We're very used to the seeming isolation, but we had guests from the city here last night, and they were sort of freaked out by the silence and dark forest.

Different strokes. Different stokes.
Old 02-05-13, 08:25 AM   #10
el rosario

There are a few small farmers out our way, each doing their own thing. My wife has this idea of creating a large vegetable garden but I am trying to convince her that it is a lot of work and we are not down at the place full time yet. You have to stay on your toes with all the critters around because they can level your garden in just a couple of days.

I am not sure exactly where El Rosario ends and Punta Baja begins or if Punta Baja is just part of EL Rosario? My wife's side of the family is more involved with all that and would probably know. I will make a it a point to find out our next trip down.

You are right, not everybody can cut this style of living. We enjoy it but at times I wish we did have a few more neighbors. The problem is that there are some scattered around but my limited spanish keeps me from making more connections. My wife does speak fluent spanish but she is more the shy type. Good reason I suppose to start working on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
All those hills looked like they have great views!
There was a guy harvesting Agave, or something like it, when we drove out the road. We stopped at several places along the river, is that settlement still El Rosario? I thought it was a nice looking area.
Do you have many neighbors out there? Looked pretty lonely depending on where you are.

We live in the middle of 40 acres of forest, and can't see, or usually hear, anyone else. We're very used to the seeming isolation, but we had guests from the city here last night, and they were sort of freaked out by the silence and dark forest.

Different strokes. Different stokes.
Old 02-05-13, 09:10 AM   #11
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by el rosario
T

There are a few small farmers out our way, each doing their own thing.

Yeah....I'll bet there are. Be careful you don't run over their irrigation lines. it really pisses them off.
Old 02-17-13, 01:54 AM   #12
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by el rosario
There are a few small farmers out our way, each doing their own thing. My wife has this idea of creating a large vegetable garden but I am trying to convince her that it is a lot of work and we are not down at the place full time yet. You have to stay on your toes with all the critters around because they can level your garden in just a couple of days.

I am not sure exactly where El Rosario ends and Punta Baja begins or if Punta Baja is just part of EL Rosario? My wife's side of the family is more involved with all that and would probably know. I will make a it a point to find out our next trip down.

You are right, not everybody can cut this style of living. We enjoy it but at times I wish we did have a few more neighbors. The problem is that there are some scattered around but my limited spanish keeps me from making more connections. My wife does speak fluent spanish but she is more the shy type. Good reason I suppose to start working on that.
Hola El Rosario,

We entertained the idea of a ranch/ home near El Rosario... Antonio of Baja Cactus is a good friend, and his beautiful motel and hospitality had us staying there numerous times over the 8 years.. We did a lot of exploring around the area, love seeing the fossils and other geology (and history) of the region! Missions, petrogyphs, mines, boojum trees... Baja has all the cool stuf!

I saw your desire of a garden, and my profession is irrigation and specifially drip irrigation... You can set up a battery controlled timer and water most anything. The only issues would be water pressure (even drip needs some) and keeping the critters out!

So, if you want any information, just ask... Baja amigos get advice on-the-house!