Introduce Yourself to the Forum A good place to "dip your toe in the pool". Let the other forums know your connection/interest in Baja...

Old 08-02-13, 05:37 PM   #1
dani6757

dani6757 is on a distinguished road

Default RN looking to live/volunteer in Ensenada area

Hi all!

My name is Danielle, I’m 52 years old, and recently obtained my California RN license. However, landing that first job as an RN is nearly impossible! Perhaps it’s the economy here in the US--coupled with my age--but a hospital won’t even consider an applicant unless you have at least “one year experience”. Although I owned a successful home-health agency for 12 years before selling it and going back to school for a bachelor’s degree in nursing, hospitals want “hospital experience”. My limited Spanish fluency is yet another draw-back.
So, because I receive about $900/month in alimony (which isn’t enough to live on in San Diego) I’m thinking about moving to the Ensenada area in order to volunteer as an RN at a medical clinic or hospital. This way, I could gain experience and become more fluent in Spanish.

Due to my limited income, I can’t afford anything luxurious, but because I have 2 small dogs, I do need a small 1-2 bedroom/1 bath house with a fenced-in yard. I’ve seen Punta Banda rentals online within my budget, but all are furnished. Is finding an unfurnished home uncommon? Are U-Haul/Penske moving trucks even allowed across the border? I have beautiful furnishings, but would be willing to sell it all, if needed. I’d just hate to sell everything “at a loss” if you know what I mean.

Bottom line: I’m looking for someone who may know of a medical clinic or hospital that would be willing to let me volunteer on a full-time basis for a year or so. Any ideas/leads on housing would be greatly appreciated! Preferably, I’d like to stay out of a ‘gringo neighborhood’ so that I could get fully immersed in the culture/language. Maybe even trade English lessons for Spanish lessons?

Thanks everybody!