Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 08-15-13, 07:36 AM   #1
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

Default No Sentri Vehicle Decal Required

As of late June, 2013, the CBD no longer requires Sentri Card Holders to have a Sentri Decal on their vehicles windshield. If you already have one you don't have to remove it however when it expires or you change vehicles, you don't have to have a replacement. This should make it easier to renew your Sentri Card entirely online since you don't have to take your car now to the Sentri Office for inspection and the decal.
Old 08-15-13, 09:23 AM   #2
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: No Sentri Vehicle Decal Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
As of late June, 2013, the CBD no longer requires Sentri Card Holders to have a Sentri Decal on their vehicles windshield. If you already have one you don't have to remove it however when it expires or you change vehicles, you don't have to have a replacement. This should make it easier to renew your Sentri Card entirely online since you don't have to take your car now to the Sentri Office for inspection and the decal.
I believe they are trying to stop the growing "blind mule" problem by making it harder for drug gangs to identify SENTRI vehicles to hide drugs under. A good call. I remember when all Colorado rental cars has license plates that started with DR which enabled thieves to target tourist vehicles for theft.
Old 08-15-13, 06:04 PM   #3
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

I would like to see the CBP statistics on the number of non-Hispanic "mule" vehicles stopped/seized.

I personally think it's a cost saving measure........
Old 08-15-13, 10:10 PM   #4
skipowell

skipowell is on a distinguished road

WHoo hoo
just had to replace my windshield as I got hit by a rock going into Yosemite. By the time I got back to San Diego the crack had grown to cover the entire width of windshield.
Replacement was almost $300 but when I realized I didn't have to get a new decal it didn't hurt as much. I called the Otay office today just to confirm. Got a friendly lady who said no worries!
Old 08-16-13, 08:16 AM   #5
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipowell
WHoo hoo
just had to replace my windshield as I got hit by a rock going into Yosemite. By the time I got back to San Diego the crack had grown to cover the entire width of windshield.
Replacement was almost $300 but when I realized I didn't have to get a new decal it didn't hurt as much. I called the Otay office today just to confirm. Got a friendly lady who said no worries!
Whenever I have called the Otay office I have never been able to speak to a person even after waiting on hold for 35 mins. Do you have a phone number you could share where you would be able to speak to an actual person?
Thanks
Old 08-18-13, 10:03 PM   #6
skipowell

skipowell is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
Whenever I have called the Otay office I have never been able to speak to a person even after waiting on hold for 35 mins. Do you have a phone number you could share where you would be able to speak to an actual person?
Thanks
larry
it is the one on the web page 690-7600
the message is a bit misleading as it starts off saying that to reach a representative (or something similar) that you must call between 8:00- and what ever time. I was calling during that time so i just stayed on the line and a few seconds later i got another message asking if iwanted english or spanish and the next thing i know i was speaking to a person, i called Friday around 3:30 had longer than a 30 second wait.
lori

Last edited by skipowell; 08-18-13 at 10:04 PM. Reason: wrong name
Old 08-19-13, 03:42 PM   #7
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
I would like to see the CBP statistics on the number of non-Hispanic "mule" vehicles stopped/seized.

I personally think it's a cost saving measure........
You mean the agncy that has two incompatible types of RFID chips embedded in passport documents is trying to save taxpayers money?

If not for the window decal- how would a drug gang know which vehicles are SENTRI to target as mules?