Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 05-21-14, 08:26 AM   #1
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Default Recent Robberies/Assaults On Toll/Free Roads Tijuana/Ensenada

just posted on BajaNomad:

"posted on 5-21-2014...by *lizard lips

...There have been many robberies and assaults on the toll road as well as the free road recently. Some of these assaults-robberies were those who have pulled over to the side of the road for reasons unknown.

If you are traveling on this particular highway (scenic highway) do not stop or pull over to the side of the road. Gas up prior to traveling. I also suggest you travel close to another vehicle in a caravan and PLEASE-DO NOT TRAVEL ON THIS HIGHWAY AT NIGHT FOR ANY REASON….

Apparently these robberies have taken place from Rosarito to Puerto Nuevo but it could happen anywhere so be careful and aware of your surroundings.

My contact with the Federal de Caminos (Mexican Highway Patrol) has told me that they will step up patrols on the toll road as well as the free road from La Mission to Ensenada..."

*lizard lips is a private investigator with family/contacts in Ensenada
Old 05-21-14, 10:47 AM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Recent Robberies/Assaults On Toll/Free Roads Tijuana/Ensenada

So very sad.

Years ago I always stopped to help anybody who was stopped off the side of the road with their hood up. I usually carry spare antifreeze, oil, fluids, hoses, duct tape and tools, so I quite often can help with some minor repairs. Those days are gone.

I personally was traveling on the toll road south of Puerto Nuevo one night years ago when a car loaded with a group of guys lowered their window and started pointing underneath my vehicle and waving for me to pull over. I quickly looked at my gauges to check my oil pressure and water temp and listened for anything unusual. Feeling confident that my vehicle was sound I just waved them off and drove on.

They continued with these tactics until we neared the toll booth south of Rosarito where they abruptly braked and pulled over to the side of the road just before reaching it. When I pulled up to the toll booth I got out of the car to look underneath to make sure that nothing was wrong. There was a federal de camino checkpoint just beyond the toll booth and I told them what had just happened and two of the officers immediately got into a car and went backwards through the toll booth and approached them. What happened after that I don't know.

A couple of years ago the elderly parents of a good friend were driving between Tehachapi and Lancaster when they pulled off the road to fix a flat tire. They were just starting to change the tire when a car with a couple of good Samaritans pulled over to help them out. Once the spare was on and the flat and tools stored safely in the trunk the same good Samaritans pulled a gun, robbing them and taking their car.

It happens and why I don't stop anymore to help people I don't know, north or south of the border...

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 05-21-14, 01:14 PM   #3
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

It's not sad really. Sad to me means it was unexpected. It was not. It's what happens when the crooks learn there is not enough police coverage. Rosarito Beach announced it only had 10 working patrol vehicles and that it's own cops were part of the crime problem. The toll road is in Federal jurisdiction and the Federales are taking hours to respond. Ask the McMillan Baja Racing team that was carjacked and robbed on that road if anyone was ever caught for what was done to them.

These incidents are Mexican tourists being robbed by Mexican criminals. US tourists are safe and have nothing to worry about. That's the current Baja public relations campaign right? Their plan is to hope you have a short memory. If something goes wrong there is no one you can trust to call for help. You and your family are on your own. I had this letter to the editor published in the Union Tribune in 2008. If I changed the date to 2014 they could run it again. Until Mexico collapses, it can not be fixed. Like an alcoholic or drug addict, they don't see the problem is them.

http://www.utsandiego.com/uniontrib/2008...etter.html

Re: "November 10, 2008. Rosarito mayor's bid to infuse confidence and Improve public safety in Rosarito”.

Rosarito Mayor Hugo Torres is wasting breath and ink trying to revive the ailing Rosarito Beach tourist economy while the body count climbs. The narco violence is not limited to corrupt policemen and in-fighting drug traffickers. Innocent bystanders are being killed in the crossfire. It is only luck that no American has been shot or killed. The local real estate market is stagnant, the peso is down and the tourist jobs the local Mexican people depend on are all but gone. Restaurants, craft shops and nightclubs have or are closing as business owners move to San Diego for their safety. Express kidnappings and phone extortions continue to be a daily occurrence and rumor-induced panic spreads like wildfire because people have no one to trust for the truth. I think it's admirable that Mayor Torres is addressing these security issues and doing his best to return peace and the “Baja spirit” to Rosarito Beach ... But he shouldn't be putting out the welcome mat and encouraging tourists to come down to visit just yet. The fact remains that all levels of public security have been corrupt for many years at the highest levels – and that needs to change first."

A year later things had gotten worse in Rosarito and this 2009 Letter to the Editor by me was published: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2009/Oct/...-oct-22/3/. "NARCO-TRAFFICERS AND BAJA TOURISM."

Your Oct. 17 front page story “Mexican marines criticized for shootings” did little to explain how a heavily armed narco convoy of SUV's could disappear from the tourist-heavy toll road between Rosarito Beach and the Lobster Village (Puerto Nuevo) on a Sunday afternoon, let alone how the Mexican marines could mistake a single Jeep off-roading for that convoy and open fire on the youths inside. That same day both free roads to Rosarito Beach from Tijuana and Otay Mesa had mutilated bodies hanging from the bridges. It may be statistically safe for tourists to visit Rosarito Beach, but the memories and visuals of a trip to Rosarito Beach could take a family a lifetime of therapy to overcome and is hardly worth the deep fried lobster at the other end."

Last edited by Woooosh; 05-21-14 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-22-14, 07:56 AM   #4
Woooosh

I guess the only thing I would add is, imho- the security and police problem can't be fixed under the current system. Police Chiefs are part of the political process and every three years they are changed out with the new mayor or governor and they start over with whatever the previous administration left behind. That makes it impossible for any long term security strategy or plan to be put in place.
Old 05-22-14, 09:51 AM   #5
MexicaliAlan

MexicaliAlan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh View Post
I guess the only thing I would add is, imho- the security and police problem can't be fixed under the current system. Police Chiefs are part of the political process and every three years they are changed out with the new mayor or governor and they start over with whatever the previous administration left behind. That makes it impossible for any long term security strategy or plan to be put in place.
Mayors are 3 year single terms in Mexico but Governors are 6 year single terms.
Old 05-23-14, 06:08 AM   #6
Marty Cortez

Marty Cortez is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicaliAlan View Post
Mayors are 3 year single terms in Mexico but Governors are 6 year single terms.
Here the protagonist in this Luis Estrada classic modifies the Constitución so the term of alcalde is now 20 years with possibility of re-election up to 4 times.

Uno nunca sabe.

Old 05-23-14, 06:37 AM   #7
Woooosh

I doubt one six year term as Governor is enough to implement a security plan. The town Mayors will be out of sync or even at odds. The solution is to take the Police out of the political equation. jmo
Old 05-24-14, 05:59 AM   #8
MexicaliAlan

Quote:
I doubt one six year term as Governor is enough to implement a security plan. The town Mayors will be out of sync or even at odds. The solution is to take the Police out of the political equation. jmo
Here there are 2 cities connected together. The large one called San Luis Potosí and the smaller less developed one called Soledad de Graciano Sánchez or just Soledad and the ex mayor and now his son is the new mayor for 3 years. I wonder if 3 years gets some politicans more years by getting a puppet elected in their place sometimes or the rich and powerful are sometimes on the same page?

It might be in some places the mayors are all working together and not at odds with the Governors and local politicans in Mexico. Don´t forget the history of Mexico where things have been run by the richest families for 80 years and this city really has some rich families from the gold and silver mines that used to be high producers over a of couple of centuries. Baja may be different.

Last edited by MexicaliAlan; 05-24-14 at 06:08 AM.
Old 05-24-14, 08:46 PM   #9
Woooosh

Quote:
Here there are 2 cities connected together. The large one called San Luis Potosí and the smaller less developed one called Soledad de Graciano Sánchez or just Soledad and the ex mayor and now his son is the new mayor for 3 years. I wonder if 3 years gets some politicans more years by getting a puppet elected in their place sometimes or the rich and powerful are sometimes on the same page?

It might be in some places the mayors are all working together and not at odds with the Governors and local politicans in Mexico. Don´t forget the history of Mexico where things have been run by the richest families for 80 years and this city really has some rich families from the gold and silver mines that used to be high producers over a of couple of centuries. Baja may be different.
I think you nailed it. It's a system of the rich and connected. The problem with that is they likes things the way they are. They see nothing in it for them by changing anything. The three years mayor term allows you to repay the ones who put you in office. When you are out, if you made others richer you will be rewarded. IMHO security has to be taken out of the political equation for Mexico to step ahead. The climate of insecurity is hurting international investment and economic growth. Mexico is a very expensive country to keep your employees safe in. Local business owners do not feel safe. They have to fix that before they can move forward.
Old 05-24-14, 10:19 PM   #10
MexicaliAlan

Quote:
I think you nailed it. It's a system of the rich and connected. The problem with that is they likes things the way they are. They see nothing in it for them by changing anything. The three years mayor term allows you to repay the ones who put you in office. When you are out, if you made others richer you will be rewarded. IMHO security has to be taken out of the political equation for Mexico to step ahead. The climate of insecurity is hurting international investment and economic growth. Mexico is a very expensive country to keep your employees safe in. Local business owners do not feel safe. They have to fix that before they can move forward.
It comes to mind the story of the mayor of TJ Jorge Hank for 2 years and quit when he tried for the race for Governor of Baja in 2007 and didn´t make it. Then his arrest in 2011 for being a suspect in a murder and other activities and arms violations by the Mexican Army. His father, also a PRI, is one of the wealthy and powerful in Mexico City and at one time the Governor of the State of Mexico etc.. Maybe Baja has changed since then.

Last edited by MexicaliAlan; 05-24-14 at 10:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM   #11
Woooosh

Great example. In that arrest Hank Rhon got caught with an unregistered firearm in his house that had his name engraved into it. That same gun was proven to have been used in a TJ murder. Yet he walked. How they walk is interesting. They arrest them and make a huge show of it and as interest tapers off the deals are made. Before you know it he is in the spotlight with his sports team again... clean and fresh.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM   #12
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Quote:

His father, also a PRI, is one of the
Was. Dead and stinkin' for some time now.

He was one of the notorious "dinosaurs" in Mexico's government and stole with impunity. His most famous public statement was: " A politician who is poor is a poor politician."