Visas for travel and living in Baja California, Mexico FMM / FM3 / FM2 / Mexican Citizenship?

Old 06-04-09, 02:12 PM   #1
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default FM3 Visa Application & Requirements - Non-Working

If you want to legally live in Mexico as a foreigner with funds received from abroad:

You must contact the nearest Mexican Embassy or Consulate to apply for your visa and migration form as a Visiting Pensioner
(www.sre.gob.mx/acerca/directorio/delegaciones/dirdelegaciones.htm).

In this case, you must submit:

* Passport or valid identification and travel document.

* Letter from a Mexican or foreign bank or financial institution or trust institution proving that you receive a minimum monthly income of approximately US$ 1,000.00. This amount will increase by US$ 500.00 for each of your economic dependents.

* For family members (spouse, children, or parents) to accompany you, you must prove their status.

To obtain form FM3, you must submit:

* Proof of payment of duties.

* Completed form FM1.

* Five photographs (4X4 cm), 3 front and 2 right profile (2.5 cm from chin to hairline), white background, with forehead and ears uncovered, and without earrings or eyeglasses. Instant photographs are not acceptable.

Important. Foreign nationals must obtain permission from the National Institute of Migration to change or expand their activities.

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 06-10-09, 09:45 PM   #2
soulpatch

soulpatch is on a distinguished road

Default Re: FM3 Visa Application & Requirements - Non-Working

You make it look so easy. Guess I better do it. I have a couple of friends who all want to get it at the same time I do.
I'll have to call the consulate to figure out a time to get the paperwork.
Saludos
Old 06-11-09, 10:10 PM   #3
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Soulpatch

Go to the Consulate on India Street. They open at 8AM, second floor

If all of your ducks are marching in a row, right smartly, they will have your FM-3 the next day. It takes about a hour to complete the process the first day, depending on how many people are in front of you. I believe the office closes at noon.

You then have a certain number of days to get it stamped at the INM office at the Border, and a certain number of days to have it "registered" in the proper jurisdiction....I believe for BOLA it's still Ensenada (the Consulate will tell you the timeframe).

We used Blanca Medina in Ensenada to register and also use her to renew.

We needed proof of income, proof of residency in Baja, US Passports, color photos, marriage certificate (not license) with an Apostille....and some cash for the fees.

You can stop by the consulate and get a list of the current requirements, and the FM-3 lady speaks english.
Old 06-12-09, 06:55 AM   #4
soulpatch

Thanks. Sounds like something I will handle after my next trip. Thanks for the heads up on the agent. I have to imagine she makes it simpler.
Old 06-12-09, 07:11 AM   #5
Teniente

Once you get the FM-3 booklet, she will take care of the registration. If you want to talk to her regarding the process and requirements, let me know. I can either give you her e-mail or you can stop by and see her. Her office is loated just as you enter Ensenada.
Old 06-15-09, 08:41 AM   #6
DianaT

DianaT is on a distinguished road

Obtaining our first FM3 was REALLY easy at the consulate in San Diego---registering through Guerrero Negro was another story.

We now use an agent in La Paz for our renewals --- simple and no problem. No renewals at the Consulates.

Like so many things, it seems like every jurisdiction has a little different requirements---some easier than others.
Old 01-25-10, 10:37 AM   #7
soulpatch

Confused Re: FM3 Visa Application & Requirements - Non-Working

With my place in Bola and me working another 2 years, 7 months, 4 days, 22 hours and 25 minutes with my ultimate goal to maintain the Bahia place but move permanently to La Paz, if all the celtic gods are willing and Quetzalcoatl, Xochiquetzal and Huitzilopochtli are in a receiving mood, would I want to change the way I go about getting FM-3?
I have been wrong often but something I read led me to believe it is only valid in the jurisdiction it is originated in.
Old 01-25-10, 01:28 PM   #8
longlegsinlapaz

longlegsinlapaz is on a distinguished road

Soulpatch, one of the most important things you should consider when you get an FM3 is that it will expire a year from the date of issue. It's important that you pick a time or month that you're always going to be down here to apply for renewals....La Paz asks for you to apply 30-days prior to expiration in case they're backlogged, but it's typically a 1-2 week turn around. If you do use an agent, you'd have to physically get your FM3(s) & current documentation into their hands for them to process the renewal on your behalf.

And if you get it issued in CA at a consulate, you're still going to have to keep copies of all the documentation you provide & hand it & frequently additional miscellaneous other documentation over to the local Immigration office when you register at your final destination; along with the always required manila folder! The reason is because the office you're actually registered with needs to have a physical file on you. Consulate offices do NOT share info with your ultimate destination Immigration office. So in essence, it's almost like you have to do everything twice.

Taking all this into consideration, along with the amount you'd have to pay an agent, it might make things more simple to just keep using FMT's until you retire & move here permanently.

My dos centavos!
Old 01-25-10, 01:49 PM   #9
kate

kate is on a distinguished road

Another thing to consider is that if you plan to move belongings here using a menaje de casa (one-time duty free allowance for household goods), it normally needs to be expedited within six months of getting your FM3. Your local consulate should know the exact regulations.

If you got the FM3 using the BOLA address, you'd have to file an address change with INM if/when you move to La Paz. No idea what that entails, but it's another hoop to jump through.
Old 01-25-10, 07:14 PM   #10
soulpatch

Cool Re: FM3 Visa Application & Requirements - Non-Working

Sounds like the FM-T is going to be just fine until we get there. Who knows, maybe it will be even simper by then!
Old 04-25-10, 07:00 PM   #11
Wanna'GO

Wanna'GO is on a distinguished road

March 30,2010
We went to Boise, Idaho to the Mexico Consulate to fined out what we need for a FM3.
This is what we were told to bring back.
1. Application to issue Migratory documents to enter Mexico with a picture same size as on our passport.
2. Letter form the Bank we do business stating when we open the account and the average balance we carry. It was to be on the Banks letter head.
3.Full copy of the Fideicomiso
4.Copy of passports
We went back to Boise April 19,2010 give them all the paper work there ask for.
The person we need to talk was not in April 19. The Lady that took the information from us give us her business card. She said she would call us.
I have to go back to Boise the end of April.
Let you know what happens next.
One of the question we would like answer is how long after you get the FM3 do you have for duty free to move your belongings.
Old 04-25-10, 09:18 PM   #12
BajaGringo

Last time I checked Rolly said it was 180 days. He seems to keep track of this stuff better than anybody and was the co-author of this book:

The Best How-To Book on Moving to Mexico

Old 04-26-10, 08:49 AM   #13
Wanna'GO

Wanna'GO is on a distinguished road

Let you know after we go back to Boise check on the FM3.

Put a question list together
A. One of the question we would like answer is how long after you get the FM3 do you have for duty free to move your belongings.

Let me know if any one has more question we should ask.
Old 04-26-10, 10:25 AM   #14
BajaGringo

Ask them how they are going to control the visas as you exit Mexico by land???

Old 05-09-11, 12:01 PM   #15
annghall

annghall is on a distinguished road

I also have used Blanca Medina to handle my FM3 renewal but sadly she died a few months ago. Do you know of anyone else who can handle a corporate renewal who lives in Ensenada. Her son does not feel he can do this type of renewal. And, I am running out of time.
Old 05-15-11, 07:26 AM   #16
BajaGringo

Ann - I was forwarded this information about a guy who can help you out...

FM2 / FM3 Renewal Assistance

Old 05-15-11, 06:46 PM   #17
Teniente

Send Carlos Victorica an e-mail.

Carlos Victorica
carlosvictorica7@hotmail.com

His office is located right at the Immigration office in Ensenada. His assistants are Karina and Eric.
Old 05-15-11, 07:36 PM   #18
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teniente
Send Carlos Victorica an e-mail.

Carlos Victorica
carlosvictorica7@hotmail.com

His office is located right at the Immigration office in Ensenada. His assistants are Karina and Eric.
Carlos told me last week he is moving his office over on the corner to i think it was the old tourisum bldg i will check next weey when i pick up my FM
Old 05-16-11, 12:56 PM   #19
annghall

annghall is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
Carlos told me last week he is moving his office over on the corner to i think it was the old tourisum bldg i will check next weey when i pick up my FM
Thank you. Let me know where his office is and what the fee is if you can. I have started the process with someone who has been recommend but is more expensive than Blanca was. But since this year I am moving from the fm3 to the fm2 I think I will go ahead with him. Then next year I would like to be able to have a choice on who I use. So I will check out any recommendations that come my way.
Old 05-16-11, 01:12 PM   #20
BajaGringo

Are you at San Antonio del Mar by Rosarito or down by Colonet?