Baja News Wire Latest News from Baja California, Mexico

Old 02-28-11, 04:28 PM   #1
Noticias

Noticias is on a distinguished road

Default New Assembly Plant in Tecate

MRG Opens New Electro-mechanical and Cable Assembly Plant in Baja California, Mexico
New facility provides West Coast expansion and competitive advantage

Online PR News
28-February-2011

Norwood – Manufacturing Resource Group (MRG), a leading electro-mechanical and cable assembly manufacturer is expanding operations by opening up a new cable assembly facility in Mexico. The new facility provides opportunities for MRG to gain new business, plan for expansion and offer lower cost of ownership to its customers. According to Joe Prior, MRG’s President, “We have seen an increase in our business and see tremendous growth opportunity coming from existing customers and from other locations including the West Coast."

MRG has selected Tecate, Baja California, Mexico as its newest manufacturing facility. “Tecate is an excellent location for manufacturing. The number of potential new customers located in the Baja California region is exciting for MRG.” said Prior.

MRG analyzed the operational expense numbers for its new facility and quickly realized they could offer better unit pricing to its customers while maintaining profitability. “We have a large customer, who needed a price reduction to remain globally competitive. MRG will meet customer objectives utilizing the Mexico manufacturing facility," said Prior.

Under Mexico’s IMMEX (Shelter) Program, MRG will quickly establish their Manufacturing operation and begin production. This program allows companies to enter Mexico without any liability and minimal risk to the organization.

MRG chose San Diego based Co-Production International as their IMMEX Administrative Services (Shelter) Provider. “Co-Production took the time to prepare an extensive cost analysis for MRG… from labor costs, operational expenses, down to permits and hook-up fees. They also explained the ins/outs of Mexico to us and at the end of the day, we felt their team would give us a personal touch in establishing our operation,” says Prior.
Co-Production also services several large connector manufactures in Baja California, whom MRG buys from. “Co-Production has a great reputation in Baja California and their clients speak highly of them,” according to Prior. MRG’s projected GO-LIVE date for their Tecate facility is March 2011.

About MRG
MRG is a contract manufacturer founded in 1988 that specializes in custom cable assemblies, electro mechanical assembly, wire harness assemblies, battery pack assemblies, custom medical cable assemblies and box builds. MRG can supply the OEM markets virtually any type of mechanical or molded cable assembly. MRG serves the Military, Medical, Industrial, Solar, Telecommunications, Lighting & Automotive markets.

For more information visit the new site as MRG INC | Cable Assemblies | Electromechanical Assembly

source
Old 02-28-11, 05:28 PM   #2
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Default Re: New Assembly Plant in Tecate

I took a look at the MRG website and see that they also have a manufacturing plant in China. So the plan is to fabricate the parts in China, ship them over and assemble them in Tecate. Does that plan ring a bell with anybody???

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 03-01-11, 04:54 PM   #3
Bajahowodd

Bajahowodd is an unknown quantity at this point

Default Re: New Assembly Plant in Tecate

Not quite sure that your idea that that they will fabricate parts in China and ship the parts to Tecate is correct. I may be wrong.

My own take on this, first of all, is good for Mexico!

I suppose the most blatant is that a company based in Norwood MA cannot compete globally if they were to house the entirety of their business in MA.

What I do find interesting is that the reason for the opening of the Tecate facility is owing to govenment largesse, i.e. IMMEX- a government program that offers shelter to foreign companies.

Just thinking that if the Obama administration were to try something similar, all Hell would break loose.

Additionally, if I am reading the MRG website correctly, the China facility was apparently an up and running operation prior to the founding of MRG. MRG was founded in 1988. But they note that the China facility was founded in 1981. So, I guess they bought an exisiting business.

So, what bell did I not hear???