General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

surfingbodi

surfingbodi is on a distinguished road

Default Rundown please on crossing the border with dogs and kids . . .

First - I want to cross at Tecate on 6/12 (Tues) like around 9:00 am. Looks like a 50 min wait (online) but I am anticipating 2 - 3 hours crossing at most due to having 3 dogs with me. Any problems with that plan? I don't have a Sentri pass yet but will get one if I stay more than the summer.

Second, I got the health certificate thing on the animals going on but vet does not know rules for going over re: Mexico and rabies. How do I find that to make sure I don't have problems crossing in?

Also, do I need to get auto insurance now or can/should I just get it in Tecate? Do I need to keep my US insurance as well while I am in Baja over the summer?

Last, do we have to have passports? My kids and I do but we have folks coming to visit over the summer and I don't know for sure that they all have passports. We use to cross without them but that was before 9/11.

Thx!!!
gari/sb

Last edited by surfingbodi; 06-03-12 at 08:00 AM.
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Rundown please on crossing the border with dogs and kids . . .

First - I want to cross at Tecate on 6/12 (Tues) like around 9:00 am. Looks like a 50 min wait (online) but I am anticipating 2 - 3 hours crossing at most due to having 3 dogs with me. Any problems with that plan? I don't have a Sentri pass yet but will get one if I stay more than the summer

..........Don't know about Tecate, but in my opinion why drive out of your way????? the time you MAY save crossing the border northbound is taken up by driving back to the San Diego area.....I cross at Otay, use SENTRI. If you don't have SENTRI get a Passport Card and use the Ready Lanes. Tecate does not have SENTRI or Ready lanes.

Second, I got the health certificate thing on the animals going on but vet does not know rules for going over re: Mexico and rabies. How do I find that to make sure I don't have problems crossing in?

.........We always carry the dogs shot records with us that list the current Rabies vaccinations....

Also, do I need to get auto insurance now or can/should I just get it in Tecate? Do I need to keep my US insurance as well while I am in Baja over the summer?

...........get your auto insurance on line here: Mexican Auto Insurance Online - Baja Bound Mexico Insurance Services
great service and geoff is always there if you need assistance............also, if you cancel or suspend your US insurance, the DMV will probably cancel or suspend your vehicle registration....your "home" state probably requires you to maintain approved insurance as a condition to keep your car registered

Last, do we have to have passports? My kids and I do but we have folks coming to visit over the summer and I don't know for sure that they all have passports. We use to cross without them but that was before 9/11.

..............no, but it is an excellent idea and a universal form of identification. Why would you not want a Passport???....If you don't want to get a Passport, get a Passport card.........also, I think you need a Passport to get your FMM .....which is needed to be in Mexico legally if you are going to be in Baja for any length of time.

.................Maybe your friends can get Passport Cards.......turnaround time is about 3 - 4 weeks

Last edited by Teniente; 06-03-12 at 08:25 AM.
surfingbodi

..........Don't know about Tecate, but in my opinion why drive out of your way????? the time you MAY save crossing the border northbound is taken up by driving back to the San Diego area.....I cross at Otay, use SENTRI. If you don't have SENTRI get a Passport Card and use the Ready Lanes. Tecate does not have SENTRI or Ready lanes.

We are coming from New Mexico so Tecate is on our way and I have crossed there before and it was much faster and easy going than going by San Diego / Tijuana

.........We always carry the dogs shot records with us that list the current Rabies vaccinations....

In the states it is every 3 years but someone told me that in Mexico it has to be every year? Is that so? Anything besides rabies I need to have other than the overall health certificate?

..............no, but it is an excellent idea and a universal form of identification. Why would you not want a Passport???....If you don't want to get a Passport, get a Passport card.........also, I think you need a Passport to get your FMM .....which is needed to be in Mexico legally if you are going to be in Baja for any length of time.

I just think folks who are visiting us will not have their passports in time plus some folks might just fly their kids in to see us in San Diego and I want to know what I am going to face trying to get these kids across the border without a passport

.................Maybe your friends can get Passport Cards.......turnaround time is about 3 - 4 weeks[/QUOTE]

OK - I will put this on my list for them! I think this might be what we used before.

Thank you for the info on auto insurance! I will contact them this week!!
Teniente

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingbodi

We are coming from New Mexico so Tecate is on our way and I have crossed there before and it was much faster and easy going than going by San Diego / Tijuana

................OK, sounded as if you were going northbound. ther usually is no wait to cross into Baja at Tecate. Just make sure you get your FMM's when you cross........and watch out for the roadsigns and stop signs.....some reports of the Tecate police supplementing their income by stopping gringo drivers/vehicles

In the states it is every 3 years but someone told me that in Mexico it has to be every year? Is that so? Anything besides rabies I need to have other than the overall health certificate?

..............................never had anyone ask for dog papers/records southbound, but if you show them papers from a vet, I don't think you will have a problem..............never asked northbound either!!!

I just think folks who are visiting us will not have their passports in time plus some folks might just fly their kids in to see us in San Diego and I want to know what I am going to face trying to get these kids across the border without a passport

.............Uh-Oh................if they are NOT your kids, you might need.....strike that.......you WILL need a notarized letter from each/both parents authorizing you to have "custody" of the kids and the time frame they will be with you......and I HIGHLY recommend Passports for kids traveling wothout parents...........you will also need some sort of authorization/documents allowing you to be responsible for the kids and any needed or necessary medical treatment in the US (and possibly Mexico). I would also suggest that the kids have copies of their or their parents health insurance cards/info.....if the kids will be in Baja for more that 5 days or so, get them their FMM cards so they will be "legal"

.................Maybe your friends can get Passport Cards.......turnaround time is about 3 - 4 weeks
OK - I will put this on my list for them! I think this might be what we used before.

[
surfingbodi

so do you think i could get across southbound with the current shot records I have which shows them up to date with rabies and just wait to get the health certificate in Baja for the trip back? The vets here are charging me a ton of money for each dog for the certificates.

Can I get the FMMs before we travel? I put in a call to the San Diego consulate but maybe I should try the Phoenix or Yuma one.

g
Teniente

Quote:
so do you think i could get across southbound with the current shot records I have which shows them up to date with rabies and just wait to get the health certificate in Baja for the trip back? The vets here are charging me a ton of money for each dog for the certificates.

Can I get the FMMs before we travel? I put in a call to the San Diego consulate but maybe I should try the Phoenix or Yuma one.

g
Get the FMM's at Tecate, Even if you get the FMM before you cross, you still have to stop and have them stamped.......just do it all at once...............another Baja experience

You "should" be OK going both north and south with the rabies certificates and the vet shot records. We have had the health certificates several times, but have never been asked going either direction
surfingbodi

Is it worth paying a little extra for vandalism/theft coverage as well as hotel/car or would it take me five years to actually get these paid for if I ever needed it? I am looking at HDI Seguros Premier. I have a double cab 2008 Tundra and I love it almost as much as my dogs.

g
Teniente

Quote:
Is it worth paying a little extra for vandalism/theft coverage as well as hotel/car or would it take me five years to actually get these paid for if I ever needed it? I am looking at HDI Seguros Premier. I have a double cab 2008 Tundra and I love it almost as much as my dogs.

g
I get the full coverage from Bajabound that included legal representation............gotta love those Toyotas, we have a 2006 Tacoma double cab.

Bajabound is the go-to place and Geoff is the go-to guy if you need insurance.....Geoff is easy to contact and deal with and would probably come down himself. Quick service on claims, from what I hear.
tortuga

tortuga is on a distinguished road

I agree with Teniente about Baja bound insurance, we have used them for the last three years.
We have never encountered any wait time entering Mex. at Tecate
Do be careful that you see and stop at all the stop signs as you make your way out of Tecate. Not all the Mexican folks seem to stop at them.
Tecate to Ensenada highway is in pretty good shape now. Still a few rough spots and some road construction. As of middle of May.
Buen Viaje, Tortuga
tortuga

tortuga is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Can I get the FMMs before we travel?
g
www.vagabundos.com
Teniente

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortuga
Still have to stop at Mexican INM and have the FMM's validated