Baja Border Crossing San Ysidro-Tecate-Mexicali / Sentri and Ready Lane

Old 06-04-13, 03:05 PM   #1
larry

larry is on a distinguished road

Default Tecate/Mexicali Toll Road

Does anyone know the total cost of the toll road starting at the west end(about 7 miles before Tecate) and exiting at Mexicali? I heard it was over $20 which seems very high considering it is a little over 80 miles and considering that the TJ/Ensenada Toll Road is around $9 and is about 65 miles long.
DENNIS
This message has been deleted by DENNIS.
Old 06-04-13, 09:17 PM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Tecate/Mexicali Toll Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
Does anyone know the total cost of the toll road starting at the west end(about 7 miles before Tecate) and exiting at Mexicali? I heard it was over $20 which seems very high considering it is a little over 80 miles and considering that the TJ/Ensenada Toll Road is around $9 and is about 65 miles long.

Last time I took that toll road from Blvd. 2000 to Tecate, it was 86 Ps. Since that time, they've raised all the tolls and the stretch is probably around 100 Ps now. It's sixteen miles.

To Mexicali from Tecate, I have no idea. The road less travelled.
Old 06-04-13, 10:41 PM   #3
ldsnakes

ldsnakes is on a distinguished road

Mexico has a site to calculate toll charges that I have used in the past. I'm not sure if the fee amounts are current for all toll booths but they seem to be for the scenic highway from TJ to Ensenada at 90 MXN.

http://aplicaciones4.sct.gob.mx/sibu...eligeIdioma=si
Old 06-05-13, 06:45 AM   #4
larry

Smile Re: Tecate/Mexicali Toll Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
Last time I took that toll road from Blvd. 2000 to Tecate, it was 86 Ps. Since that time, they've raised all the tolls and the stretch is probably around 100 Ps now. It's sixteen miles.

To Mexicali from Tecate, I have no idea. The road less travelled.
About $8 for 16 miles($.50 mi) seems excessive.
Old 06-05-13, 07:50 AM   #5
DENNIS

Quote:

About $8 for 16 miles($.50 mi) seems excessive.
Yeah...it does. That's probably why there's very little traffic on the road. It's a nice drive, especially after some rain. The countryside is beautiful.
The free road from 2000 to Tecate is accessed a few miles west, but I just heard there's a lot of construction going on and it's a nasty drive.
Old 06-05-13, 11:49 AM   #6
Amigo Arizona

Amigo Arizona is on a distinguished road

I drive this road all the time as I live in Phoenix and pick the wife up in San Luis Colorado and continue on to Mexicali. If you take the bypass around Mexicali this portion is the pretty expensive section and I would say it is about 7 US dollars for about 18 miles of road. Once you get off the bypass from Mexicali and head west on route 2 you will drive about 18 miles to a military checkpoint. The road is pretty decent and no charge. From the military checkpoint you start up the hill to Rumorosa. What a drive. Beautiful views It is divided and two lanes, but drive carefully as it is steep and winding. There are many large trucks. We all know how unsafe the Mexican trucks are. There are many accidents. Anyhow from the military checkpoint to the top of the mountain which is Rumorosa it is about 17 miles. I believe the toll at the top is about a dollar and 50 cents. From Rumorosa to Tecate I believe there are two toll booths. The total cost is about Twelve dollars. The Libre road (Free Road) is not bad at all. The free roads between the small towns are in pretty good shape and the signage is good and you will not get lost . When you get into Tecate there are two exits. At the exits the toll I believe are about 80 cents or 10 pesos. I take the 2nd exit and head south through town to route 2. About 2 1/2 miles to route 2. Turn left on route 2 and then drive to highway 2000 which is about 15 miles. This is all free road. The road is not that great. ( But if you continue on the toll road from Tecate to Tijuana the next section of toll is very exppensive. About $10 for the next 18 miles) When you get to highway 2000 you head south on this highway and it is about 16 miles to Popotla. The highway was not too bad the last time I took it but that was about 8 months ago as I now take route 3 to Ensenada from Tecate as the construction is pretty much done and is not bad at all. As we all know the road signage sucks in Mexico. So unless you have a map and know a little spanish I would be a little hesitant to try and take route 2 from Tecate to highway 2000 as the signage sucks. I speak OK Spanish and the first time I took this path from Tecate to highway 2000 I had to ask once for directions as the signage sucks. So to answer your question about $23 from 18 miles west of Tecate to Mexicali. Then add another $7 if you bypass Mexicali. If you are looking to save a few bucks I suggest you use the free road between Tecate and Rumorosa.

Last edited by Amigo Arizona; 06-05-13 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-05-13, 01:37 PM   #7
Teniente

Teniente is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Amigo Arizona;36744] ...... When you get to highway 2000 you head south on this highway and it is about 16 miles to Popotla........[/QUOT

From the toll booth to Popotla on Corridor 2000 (BC 201) IT IS 26 MILES.....if anybody is counting.
Old 06-05-13, 02:06 PM   #8
larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigo Arizona
I drive this road all the time as I live in Phoenix and pick the wife up in San Luis Colorado and continue on to Mexicali. If you take the bypass around Mexicali this portion is the pretty expensive section and I would say it is about 7 US dollars for about 18 miles of road. Once you get off the bypass from Mexicali and head west on route 2 you will drive about 18 miles to a military checkpoint. The road is pretty decent and no charge. From the military checkpoint you start up the hill to Rumorosa. What a drive. Beautiful views It is divided and two lanes, but drive carefully as it is steep and winding. There are many large trucks. We all know how unsafe the Mexican trucks are. There are many accidents. Anyhow from the military checkpoint to the top of the mountain which is Rumorosa it is about 17 miles. I believe the toll at the top is about a dollar and 50 cents. From Rumorosa to Tecate I believe there are two toll booths. The total cost is about Twelve dollars. The Libre road (Free Road) is not bad at all. The free roads between the small towns are in pretty good shape and the signage is good and you will not get lost . When you get into Tecate there are two exits. At the exits the toll I believe are about 80 cents or 10 pesos. I take the 2nd exit and head south through town to route 2. About 2 1/2 miles to route 2. Turn left on route 2 and then drive to highway 2000 which is about 15 miles. This is all free road. The road is not that great. ( But if you continue on the toll road from Tecate to Tijuana the next section of toll is very exppensive. About $10 for the next 18 miles) When you get to highway 2000 you head south on this highway and it is about 16 miles to Popotla. The highway was not too bad the last time I took it but that was about 8 months ago as I now take route 3 to Ensenada from Tecate as the construction is pretty much done and is not bad at all. As we all know the road signage sucks in Mexico. So unless you have a map and know a little spanish I would be a little hesitant to try and take route 2 from Tecate to highway 2000 as the signage sucks. I speak OK Spanish and the first time I took this path from Tecate to highway 2000 I had to ask once for directions as the signage sucks. So to answer your question about $23 from 18 miles west of Tecate to Mexicali. Then add another $7 if you bypass Mexicali. If you are looking to save a few bucks I suggest you use the free road between Tecate and Rumorosa.
Thanks Amigo for all the info.
Old 06-05-13, 05:24 PM   #9
larry

My AAA Map shows the distance from Tecate To Mexicali as 81 miles. At a total toll cost of around $23, or approx. $.30 a mile, I would guess that is one of the most expensive toll roads anywhere in the World on a cost per mile basis, excluding bride tolls such as the Golden Gate. What's up?
Old 06-05-13, 06:37 PM   #10
Amigo Arizona

Quote:
My AAA Map shows the distance from Tecate To Mexicali as 81 miles. At a total toll cost of around $23, or approx. $.30 a mile, I would guess that is one of the most expensive toll roads anywhere in the World on a cost per mile basis, excluding bride tolls such as the Golden Gate. What's up?
Mexico does not have high tax rates like the USA to draw revenue from. Example my home in Ensenada tax per year is $ 75. In California it would be over $5000 per year. Income taxes are lower than the US also. Have to get the money to build and maintain roads from some source.
Old 06-05-13, 07:12 PM   #11
larry

I agree about the lower taxes. We own in Club Marena with taxes about $450 yr, in the US would be in excess of $25,000. However with a toll road that high, how many are using it?
Old 06-05-13, 07:39 PM   #12
Amigo Arizona

Quote:
I agree about the lower taxes. We own in Club Marena with taxes about $450 yr, in the US would be in excess of $25,000. However with a toll road that high, how many are using it?
Only the people who live in Club Marena
Old 06-05-13, 08:45 PM   #13
ldsnakes

ldsnakes is on a distinguished road

Quote:

As AmigoAz points out some of it is due to the roads not being subsidized.

Another factor is the rough terrain and the lack of population between tecate and mexicali. Lastly since BC borders Cali IMO there's an opportunity to increase profits by charging more than they could otherwise because a lot of the traffic is either going to or coming from the US. If you drive South down the 15 from Nogi the cost per mile is way less.
Old 06-05-13, 08:59 PM   #14
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

I have friends that went on a R .V. caravan on the mainland and related to me they spent over 600dls in tolls while on the trip.
Old 06-05-13, 09:33 PM   #15
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.
I have friends that went on a R .V. caravan on the mainland and related to me they spent over 600dls in tolls while on the trip.
The more axles you have, the more you pay. The toll road from Mexico City to Acapulco is very pricey. I wonder how much they said they paid in gas?
Old 06-06-13, 10:09 AM   #16
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
The more axles you have, the more you pay. The toll road from Mexico City to Acapulco is very pricey. I wonder how much they said they paid in gas?

Don't know about the gas their motor home is Diesel but the trip was 6,000 miles + or -if you look at the atlas all the good or better roads are toll.
Old 06-07-13, 07:49 PM   #17
msteve1014

msteve1014 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You are not getting over this anytime soon.... are you?
Old 06-07-13, 08:47 PM   #18
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by msteve1014
You are not getting over this anytime soon.... are you?
It's just so crazy to have a toll that high in an area screaming for economic development.
Old 06-07-13, 09:05 PM   #19
DENNIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woooosh
It's just so crazy to have a toll that high in an area screaming for economic development.
I'm not so sure some of these toll roads aren't privately owned. When Salinas was in office, there was talk of him buying into them. Don't know how that turned out.
Old 06-07-13, 09:23 PM   #20
Woooosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
I'm not so sure some of these toll roads aren't privately owned. When Salinas was in office, there was talk of him buying into them. Don't know how that turned out.
There are people trying to get the TJ-Ensenada toll eliminated. Don't know if it's the Coronado Bridge approach.