Baja Border Crossing San Ysidro-Tecate-Mexicali / Sentri and Ready Lane

Old 07-08-13, 12:41 PM   #1
timeflyer8

timeflyer8 is on a distinguished road

Confused Tecate crossing

Hi everyone,

I will be crossing at Tecate, and would like some information on obtaining a tourist visa as I will be in the Baja for a couple of weeks, traveling to Cabo San Lucas.
I understand that there is an office in Tecate I can obtain this visa at.
My questions;

1) Where in Tecate is it located at?
2) Hours of operation?
3) How much does it cost?
4) What information will I need with me to obtain one?
5) Do they check for it as you travel the Baja?
6) Is it really necessary to obtain one?

Also a few other questions have come up.
1) What is the difference between getting insurance on my motorcycle, and just getting liability insurance on my drivers license?
2) Do I need both?
3) Is one better than the other?

Thank you in advance for the helpful information!
Old 07-08-13, 12:44 PM   #2
DENNIS

DENNIS is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Tecate crossing

I'll just answer one of your questions now 'cuz I'm short on time. Sharky's opens in ten minutes.

6. Yes.
Old 07-08-13, 01:26 PM   #3
Islander

Islander is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeflyer8
Hi everyone,

I will be crossing at Tecate, and would like some information on obtaining a tourist visa as I will be in the Baja for a couple of weeks, traveling to Cabo San Lucas.
I understand that there is an office in Tecate I can obtain this visa at.
My questions;

1) Where in Tecate is it located at?
As you approach the actual border gate, the office is on your right, up the steps and in the office on the right. The bank is in a kiosk another 75 feet or so to the north
2) Hours of operation?
This is a sorta tough one. they are supposed to be open from at least 0800 to 1700, but I have several times found the office locked and no one around, usually on a Sunday morning. Someone else here may have better info on this than I do
3) How much does it cost?
Not sure exactly, something like $28?
4) What information will I need with me to obtain one?
5) Do they check for it as you travel the Baja?
I've never been checked, but IF you ever are you probably want to have one of these on you. One little thing I learned; take your visa out of your passport when handing it to the US Border folks. I've been grumped at for leaving "Mexican Paperwork" in my passport by our friendly welcome wagon representatives.
6) Is it really necessary to obtain one?
See #5 above

Also a few other questions have come up.
1) What is the difference between getting insurance on my motorcycle, and just getting liability insurance on my drivers license?
2) Do I need both?
3) Is one better than the other?

Thank you in advance for the helpful information!
Have a great trip!
Old 07-08-13, 01:31 PM   #4
Islander

I forgot one thing, the parking.
After going through the "gate" the parking is a few feet down the street on your right, but DO NOT TURN right there, it's a one way street against you. Go around the block and pull up to the 6 car parking lot that is probably all coned off. Someone will move the cones just barely enough so that you can park there.
One last tip, try and avoid re-entering the US on a Sunday, especially Sunday afternoon.

I once had the CPB agent ask me why I was crossing in Tecate instead of SY, and was staggered when I told her because the wait times are less. She must have figured I was up to something, because it was straight to secondary after that!
Old 07-08-13, 02:05 PM   #5
Woooosh

Woooosh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENNIS
I'll just answer one of your questions now 'cuz I'm short on time. Sharky's opens in ten minutes.

6. Yes.
Now that's the Dennis we know and love!
Old 07-08-13, 03:11 PM   #6
J.P.

J.P. is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
Have a great trip!
Old 07-08-13, 06:24 PM   #7
timeflyer8

Quote:
Have a great trip!
Thank you very much for the info on the tourist visa. I have been through Tecate, but was a few years ago. I didn't have to get a visa, as was only going to Ensenada, but one of the riders was going to Cabo, so he was getting a tourist visa. It kind of comes back to me now the place on the right, and the one way road, as I almost turned right on it!
Muchos gracias ~:~
Old 07-08-13, 06:26 PM   #8
timeflyer8

I am sooo looking forward to the ride/journey!
Also checking out some of the missions, sites, good people, good food along the way.
Old 07-08-13, 09:19 PM   #9
Bob H

Bob H is on a distinguished road

Wow, lots of great info posted here... I will have to print this out!! Thanks!
Old 07-08-13, 10:12 PM   #10
BajaGringo

BajaGringo is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum timeflyer - have a safe trip!

TalkBaja.com - Where everybody knows your name and nobody stays on topic
Old 07-09-13, 08:41 AM   #11
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am sooo looking forward to the ride/journey!
Also checking out some of the missions, sites, good people, good food along the way.
Mission details online at http://vivabaja.com/bajamissions and the newest book on all the California missions (glovebox friendly) is: http://oldmissions.com .
Old 07-12-13, 07:18 AM   #12
timeflyer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K
Mission details online at http://vivabaja.com/bajamissions and the newest book on all the California missions (glovebox friendly) is: http://oldmissions.com .
Thank you for the link to the missions. I will for sure be stopping at a few of them!
Old 07-13-13, 05:47 PM   #13
David K

Quote:
Thank you for the link to the missions. I will for sure be stopping at a few of them!
My pleasure... and please feel free to ask away here... I am happy to share my Baja experiences, collections, etc.

The mission church buildings are just a fantastic site considering where they are located and the time they were built!

San Javier, for example... mission founded in 1699, and the stone church we see today was built from 1744 to 1758. Some photos from my visit in July, 2009:

Old 07-13-13, 09:45 PM   #14
Islander

Great advice David! We drove up to San Javier in February, and it was one of the highlights of our trip! The (new) road was hanging on by a thread, and a good sneeze and a tear drop would wash the rest of it away, but it is well worth the time and fuel.
There are some small cave paintings near one of the stream crossings. Try some of the locally produced wine as well.
Old 07-14-13, 09:11 AM   #15
David K

Quote:
Great advice David! We drove up to San Javier in February, and it was one of the highlights of our trip! The (new) road was hanging on by a thread, and a good sneeze and a tear drop would wash the rest of it away, but it is well worth the time and fuel.
There are some small cave paintings near one of the stream crossings. Try some of the locally produced wine as well.

San Javier Highway, westbound from Loreto.

Cave art along the way.

Baja Angel at the cave art site.

Tacoma parked off highway, as seen from cave art site.

Looking down the canyon we just came up from.

Looking across the canyon at the older auto road and above it, El Camino Real!

The mission is the jewel of the missions in Baja California, and shouldn't be missed if at all possible!

Old 07-15-13, 07:30 AM   #16
timeflyer8

Quote:
Are all the missions accessible by Harley-Davidson touring motorcycle?
I have heard it is hot on the gulf side in August....what do they consider hot? And how about the humidity? Night time temps?
Thank you,
Old 07-15-13, 08:24 AM   #17
David K

Quote:
Are all the missions accessible by Harley-Davidson touring motorcycle?
I have heard it is hot on the gulf side in August....what do they consider hot? And how about the humidity? Night time temps?
Thank you,
Most of the missions are indeed, if your bike is a dual-sport or you are okay on graded (washboard) dirt roads. The book 'The Old Missions of Baja & Alta California 1697-1834' may be handy to have?! ;)

Hot (90-100 along the water and 105-115 inland) and humid in August (also late July & early September). This is hurricane (chubasco) season... you are in the tropics in Baja California Sur (Coconuts, papayas and mangos grow there)!

Night time comfort depends on how much ventilation your tent has and if there is a breeze. An AC hotel may be needed if you can't take the heat.

We do our Baja Sur trips in late July, and it is indeed hot, but we love it. Fewer people as well... See my July 2012 big trip report 15 days in Baja... (better grab a Pacifico or XX): BAJA CALIFORNIA JULY 2012: 15 Days of fun! - TalkBaja.com
Old 07-22-13, 07:33 AM   #18
timeflyer8

Quote:
Most of the missions are indeed, if your bike is a dual-sport or you are okay on graded (washboard) dirt roads. The book 'The Old Missions of Baja & Alta California 1697-1834' may be handy to have?! ;)

Hot (90-100 along the water and 105-115 inland) and humid in August (also late July & early September). This is hurricane (chubasco) season... you are in the tropics in Baja California Sur (Coconuts, papayas and mangos grow there)!

Night time comfort depends on how much ventilation your tent has and if there is a breeze. An AC hotel may be needed if you can't take the heat.

We do our Baja Sur trips in late July, and it is indeed hot, but we love it. Fewer people as well... See my July 2012 big trip report 15 days in Baja... (better grab a Pacifico or XX): BAJA CALIFORNIA JULY 2012: 15 Days of fun! - TalkBaja.com

Thank you David,

The heat during the day I am pretty sure I can handle, being from Phoenix AZ area. Night times might be a bit different. New tent that I haven't used before, but it seems to be vented pretty good. Rattlers a problem when camping?
When will you be going down? I will be crossing at Tecate on the 5th of August.
Thanks again for the helpful information!

Alan
Old 07-23-13, 11:38 PM   #19
David K

Quote:
Thank you David,

The heat during the day I am pretty sure I can handle, being from Phoenix AZ area. Night times might be a bit different. New tent that I haven't used before, but it seems to be vented pretty good. Rattlers a problem when camping?
When will you be going down? I will be crossing at Tecate on the 5th of August.
Thanks again for the helpful information!

Alan
August will be brutal, heat & humidity... but you sound like you can handle it!
No plans, but we like to go to Shell Island over Labor Day as the sea water is still bathtub warm so it is like the world's largest spa hot tub, day and night!
Old 08-01-13, 05:53 AM   #20
timeflyer8

Good morning David,
I am understanding that the longest stretch with gas is from Jesus Maria to Santa Rosalia, some 200+ miles. Is this true? Or is there barrel gas for sale? The Harley won't make the 200+ miles on a tank of gas. Something tells me I don't want to be hanging out on the side of the road with no gas! :) Trying to get gas stops figured out. Also how about how far from Mexico 1 turnoff to Bahia Asuncion? And is there gas there?
Thank you for all of your help to make my journey more memorable!
Alan

Quote:
August will be brutal, heat & humidity... but you sound like you can handle it!
No plans, but we like to go to Shell Island over Labor Day as the sea water is still bathtub warm so it is like the world's largest spa hot tub, day and night!