General Discussion If it's Baja Related but Don't Know Where? Post it Here...

Old 11-11-13, 09:19 PM   #1
Churro

Churro is on a distinguished road

Default FMM Tourist Card In Mexicali???? Road from San Felipe to HWY 1

I am starting planning my trip south and I have a couple questions...

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a FMM tourist card at the Mexicali border? I have done it in TJ and is quite painless .. The TJ office opens at 6:00 AM and is very convenient. is it the same in Mexicali?

Hows the road from San Felipe to HWY 1 through Puertecitos?? I have 2 wheel drive truck
Old 11-12-13, 10:17 AM   #2
David K

David K is on a distinguished road

Default Re: FMM Tourist Card In Mexicali???? Road from San Felipe to HWY 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churro
I am starting planning my trip south and I have a couple questions...

I was wondering if anyone knows how to get a FMM tourist card at the Mexicali border? I have done it in TJ and is quite painless .. The TJ office opens at 6:00 AM and is very convenient. is it the same in Mexicali?

Hows the road from San Felipe to HWY 1 through Puertecitos?? I have 2 wheel drive truck
Mexicali (Downtown) INM office is on the left, just after entering Mexico. Mexicali East INM is on the right... from reports I have read.

San Felipe to Puertecitos Entrance Road is paved, but old style highway (narrow, sudden-steep dips, not for high speed) 51 miles.

Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay is paved 40 miles (3 miles short of the Gonzaga Bay Pemex at Alfonsina's entrance) and is a modern, high speed highway. However, falling rocks are a hazard to watch for.

Gonzaga Bay to Highway 1 is a graded dirt road, okay for 2WD, but has a very rough surface and has lacked regrading for some time... 38 miles from the end of pavement to Laguna Chapala (Hwy. 1).

Coco's Corner is a fun place to take a break... 13 miles from Hwy. 1.

Note: The Baja 1000 race is this week, and Hwy. 5 is the race course from a dozen miles north of Puertecitos to Coco's Corner.
Old 11-16-13, 09:22 AM   #3
Churro

Thanks David... Do you know what the hours of operations for the FMM office are ??
Old 11-17-13, 11:05 AM   #4
David K

Quote:
Thanks David... Do you know what the hours of operations for the FMM office are ??
The border is open 24 hours, but I am not sure if the INM office is as well (like it is at the Tijuana border now, per other's posts).

At least you are making an effort to do the right thing... But, if they aren't there when you enter Mexico, it is hardly your fault. Have a great time and chances are you will never be asked for it on the peninsula.

The only place I have ever been asked for it in my years of travel in Baja was on Hwy. 1, at the state border, near Guerrero Negro... If you are crossing into Baja Sur there, and get asked, just say you tried but they were closed... or do what others do and use another road across the state border.
Old 11-29-13, 10:37 AM   #5
Churro

Thanks David... How many hours will it take to get from San Felipe to Bahia Asuncion> Can I do this drive in one day? If not, Where is a nice hotel along the way?

I could always go from san filepe to ensanada then south on the MEX 1 .... But i would like to explore the sea of cortez side
Old 11-29-13, 04:08 PM   #6
David K

Quote:
Thanks David... How many hours will it take to get from San Felipe to Bahia Asuncion> Can I do this drive in one day? If not, Where is a nice hotel along the way?

I could always go from san filepe to ensanada then south on the MEX 1 .... But i would like to explore the sea of cortez side
I would say one long day driving... and in winter, the day's are short... so maybe not all in a day, specially if you enjoy some sites along the way... or a rest at Coco's Corner?

The only dirt will be 38 miles from Gonzaga area to Laguna Chapala (Hwy. 1 junction). The rest of the way to Asuncion is all paved... and reported in great shape. If you can deal with 38 miles of rough road... then save 200 miles and many hours/ traffic/ etc. that going through Ensenada and San Quintin will cause.

We drove from San Felipe to Bahia Concepcion in one day, getting there at sundown, including stops, but in July. That is just a little further than the distance to Asuncion.
The only hotels along the way, would be Guerrero Negro, and that is well more than halfway to Asuncion from San Felipe.
Old 11-29-13, 04:29 PM   #7
Churro

Thanks again David... You Da Man!
Old 11-30-13, 08:58 AM   #8
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

I crossed and used the Immigration Office in Mexicali a few times.

The immigration Office is open 24 Hours but I am not sure about the Bank where you have to pay and which is cross the Main Road that leads to the Check Point.

Make Shure you are in the far Right hand lane before you approach the Mexican Security Check point as you can park for free on the right hand side in front of the bank before you actually get to the Mexican Security Check Point.
Cross the road get your paper work at the Immigration Office , cross the road again to the Bank, Pay, then go back to the Immigration Office for the Final Stamp, Back Across the road to your car then you can approach the Mexican Security Check Point.

Sounds like a lot but it only took me about 20 Min. to do all the above at about 10:00 am once and about 3:00 pm the other time.

On a side note the immigration officer once filled out my length of stay to only 45 days so I suggest you fill in that part (180 days) for them before you hand it back to them. I missed the 45 days and when I flew out 180 days later it cost me $.$$ big time because I over stayed my Visa.
Old 11-30-13, 09:17 AM   #9
Churro

Thanks Johny !!! Sound like a pain in the butt... I hope everything is open on December 26 at 6 AM .... TJ is easy, it is a one stop shop at the border
Old 12-01-13, 11:42 AM   #10
CDN_JOHNNY

CDN_JOHNNY is on a distinguished road

Churro

Honestly it was not all so bad.
I was giving you the run down so you had a idea of what to do, especially if your Spanish is not so good.

Every time I crossed via Mexicali it was quick and painless.
Old 12-02-13, 01:17 PM   #11
sancho

sancho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_JOHNNY

On a side note the immigration officer once filled out my length of stay to only 45 days so I suggest you fill in that part (180 days) for them before you hand it back to them

Not sure ' filling out the # of days for them' is the correct tactic, the # of days is the sole
descretion of the Mex Imm Officer, the proper way is to ASK/REQUEST the max
180 days, I've never had them refuse